Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Rae Days

  1. #1
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,995

    Default Rae Days

    So, given the current state of the economy, would anyone be in favour of a re-implementation of Rae Days? Just curious how people feel, not making the suggestion necessarily:


    Description
    The Social Contract refers to a 1993 initiative of the provincial Ontario New Democratic Party government of Bob Rae to impose austerity measures on civil service. The plan imposed a wage freeze and mandatory unpaid days of leave for civil servants, which became known as Rae Days.

    History
    Ontario in the 1990s was in the worst economic recession since the Great Depression, with a 1993 deficit of $12 billion annually. When it appeared as though it would soon grow to $17 billion, the social-democratic NDP was forced to abandon its left-wing platform and shift to right of the political spectrum.

    Rae requested $2 billion in wage cuts within the civil service, and asked the public sector unions to work together with the government to implement the cuts. When Ontario's two largest unions, the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) and the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), both boycotted the talks, the government decided to enact the initiative unilaterally.

    The Social Contract
    The initiative was mainly based around a forced twelve days of unpaid leave for all civil service workers, including (but not limited to) teachers, nurses, and accountants. The unpaid days off quickly became known as Rae Days and are probably the best known aspect of the policy. The measure did exclude workers who earned less than $30,000 annually.

    The Social Contract also re-opened collective bargaining agreements of all public unions, and froze the wages of all civil workers.

    Results
    The initiative was incredibly unpopular, and the labour-allied NDP lost a majority of its union support, including Buzz Hargrove and the Canadian Auto Workers Union. Support for the party fell to 6 per cent, and contributed greatly to the NDP's defeat in the 1995 election to the Progressive Conservatives. The NDP was reduced from a majority to a third party, a position which, as of the 2007 election, they have not been able to recover from.

    Rae Days were, however, successful in their original aims. The government saved $1.95 billion, and prevented public employee layoffs.

    The Social Contract affected Rae during his 2006 run for leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada. A leaked Conservative memo contained information from strategists arguing that, as Rae Days could be made a campaign issue, Rae would be the easiest candidate to beat in an election.

  2. #2
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,067

    Default Re: Rae Days

    People don't want to make sacrifices if they, themselves will suffer.... I'll bet dollars to doughnuts though that those same people would support it if it did not affect them....
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,593

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    People don't want to make sacrifices if they, themselves will suffer.... I'll bet dollars to doughnuts though that those same people would support it if it did not affect them....
    I worked for government back then and welcomed the idea and would again. I was paid well enough that the prospect of and extra day off was attractive to me.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  4. #4
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,067

    Default Re: Rae Days

    They say money can't buy happiness...
    I disagree, it can, it's just that it's short lived.
    Taking a nice leisurely stroll through the mall, or spending time with family... that's not short lived.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  5. #5
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,593

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    They say money can't buy happiness...
    I disagree, it can, it's just that it's short lived.
    Taking a nice leisurely stroll through the mall, or spending time with family... that's not short lived.
    You sir, are right. Money can not buy happiness BUT it does allow you to look for it in nicer places.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  6. #6
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,995

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    You sir, are right. Money can not buy happiness BUT it does allow you to look for it in nicer places.
    I sell my happiness every time I get up for work in the morning. So who's buying it?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,593

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    I sell my happiness every time I get up for work in the morning. So who's buying it?
    Is that an auctioneer I hear?
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  8. #8
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,995

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Is that an auctioneer I hear?
    Yup - that's how it works. We rent our time to the highest bidder and a good chunk of our happiness goes with it. I just figure anything that can be sold can also be bought so obviously then happiness can be bought.

    Hmm...come to think of it - maybe happiness can only be rented.....

  9. #9
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,593

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    Yup - that's how it works. We rent our time to the highest bidder and a good chunk of our happiness goes with it. I just figure anything that can be sold can also be bought so obviously then happiness can be bought.

    Hmm...come to think of it - maybe happiness can only be rented.....
    Bought! My sister could be!
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  10. #10
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,995

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Bought! My sister could be!
    Meester! Meester!! You want to buy my seester??

  11. #11
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,593

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    Meester! Meester!! You want to buy my seester??
    20 Pesos!
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  12. #12
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,995

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    20 Pesos!
    Does she come with.........CASTINADAS?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,593

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    Does she come with.........CASTINADAS?
    NO! But beeeeeg maracas.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,681

    Default Re: Rae Days

    well, i originally thought the idealogy of rae days made sense. however, it was left to the various government places to impliment it. i did not mind the prospect of working a day less and having a day less pay at that time, it beat mass layoffs.

    however, my employeer, in all its greed decided to make the middle workers pay the price and cut us each a day a week - but we still had to work 5 days a week, just shorter days. since there were enough of us middle people management did not need to make any cuts to themselves!!! dirty rotton bast*rds. what the really did by cutting our hours was cut the services to the very people we were there to care for.

    then, since we all worked 5 days a week just shorter days, we were expected to do our regular jobs that we had been doing at 40 hours now at 30 hours. it was totally insane. i am bitter.

    i still think the idea was interesting, however letting dirty greedy managment steal from the poor and give to themselves was a big mistake.

    (please disreguard any and all spelling mistakes)

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,172

    Default Re: Rae Days

    I believe that those companies who post the largest profits should also pay the largest taxes and not be allowed to be flagged out to avoid taxes.

    I think that rule would solve a lot of the problems with the current system.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  16. #16
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,995

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by kitca View Post
    well, i originally thought the idealogy of rae days made sense. however, it was left to the various government places to impliment it. i did not mind the prospect of working a day less and having a day less pay at that time, it beat mass layoffs.

    however, my employeer, in all its greed decided to make the middle workers pay the price and cut us each a day a week - but we still had to work 5 days a week, just shorter days. since there were enough of us middle people management did not need to make any cuts to themselves!!! dirty rotton bast*rds. what the really did by cutting our hours was cut the services to the very people we were there to care for.

    then, since we all worked 5 days a week just shorter days, we were expected to do our regular jobs that we had been doing at 40 hours now at 30 hours. it was totally insane. i am bitter.

    i still think the idea was interesting, however letting dirty greedy managment steal from the poor and give to themselves was a big mistake.

    (please disreguard any and all spelling mistakes)
    This goes back a while, but didn't each group doing the Rae Days have to submit a plan and get it approved by either the funder in the case of government contractors or by the higher ups in government if it was a Ministry or region or the government itself?

  17. #17
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,995

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I believe that those companies who post the largest profits should also pay the largest taxes and not be allowed to be flagged out to avoid taxes.

    I think that rule would solve a lot of the problems with the current system.
    Competition - the big companies will base themselves wherever it's cheapest to run. If taxes are too high they'll all just move to another country.

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,172

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Based is one thing, having a small office in a tax friendly country to avoid paying the normal corporate taxes on major plants located in other countries, is another thing.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  19. #19
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,995

    Default Re: Rae Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Based is one thing, having a small office in a tax friendly country to avoid paying the normal corporate taxes on major plants located in other countries, is another thing.
    Just part of the way they do business. I'd venture to say they do that even in Europe

  20. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,172

    Default Re: Rae Days

    They should not, as it's a (legal) form of tax evasion.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts