Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: To the real musicians out here ... please respond.

Default To the real musicians out here ... please respond.

this is to real musicians .. and i mean those that can actually play an instrument. for the last few days i have been having some discussion with a few ppl that really lack musical intelligence.

Ace Frehley. For those that do play guitar here ... what are your thoughts and feeling about Ace .. his style, his lead work. anything you would like to say about Ace.

I am really curious to hear that real guitar players say about Ace Frehley.

CopyrightŠ 2016. Reproduction of this Post in part or whole is prohibited

Default Re: To the real musicians out here ... please respond.

He is by far one of the more inventive players....I will expand on this later.
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

well he's talented no one can take that away ... thats about all i got .. i mean i was always a black sabbath fan i just started getting into kiss in the last 5 years so .. I'm not a huge fan at all of the solo work at all but kiss was great.. guitar wise tho all i got is just talented ..

I think Ace fits into the prototypical 70's rock guitar player. He helped create the true rock guitar sound, played some great memorable riffs and some pretty good leads. He may not be as technically sound as more recent rock guitarists, but I think that can be said about other great guitarists from that era that have help pave the way.. (Jimmy Page is a perfect example of not being technically sound but knowing how to write/play an awesome song)

I think today's guitar hero, being so technically sound and putting such a focus on shredding has taken away from the soul behind older rock guitar. I'd rather listen to a solo with some feeling than a player like Yngwie Malmsteen just tearing up and down scales any day. Overall I'd say Ace is one of the more influential guitar players though.

If I want to watch a play that contains a lot of make-up for entertainment, I'd sooner go to a broadway show. frehly was a player who needed paint to mask his lack of talent. Putting frehly in the same category as Page is an insult to Page. When I listen to a frehly solo, I fail to feel any feeling, I only hear hacking. If you're talking commercial music, maybe there's an influence to radio listeners. If you're talking about virtuosic influence, not a chance. You want to know real influence and who knows how to play and with feel, let's reverse the clock a little further than frehly. Here's a few in many guitar players books... Andres Segovia, Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Chuck Berry, Wes Montgomery, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Bob Bogle and Eddy Van Halen, like him or not, Eddy is one of the most influencial guitar players in modern music who revolutionized guitar playing and like Les Paul, Eddy was not only into technique, he was into finding that perfect guitar sound.

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Pleiades nailed it. Frehly doesn't even make the Rolling Stone top 100 and, while I don't agree with all their list, I do agree with that omission. Pleiades, nice to see Segovia top your list and let's add John McGllaughlin, Leo Koettke, Ry Cooder, Leona Boyd, BB King, Buddy Guy, Roy Clark, Carlos Santana and a couple of my own personal favourites - David Gilmour and George Harrison. One thing about music is that it's very subjective. Neither Gilmour or Harrison are at the technical level of many of the others, but they have both had an incredible impact. If I were to set up a rating system, it'd contain (a) Complexity, (b) Cleanliness of Sound, (c) Impact on Other Guitarists, (d) Original Sound and (e) Just Plain Feeling. If you take a guy like BB King, he'd be way up my list because that man has it all. You can watch Frehly play - his whole technique is dirty. I'd give him points for impact though - I've seen a ton of kids ape that nasty technique of his.

GRUMPY

You happened to miss a couple of the all time greats in Doc Watson who is a master at the flat pick style and Stevie Ray Vaughn .As stated it is very subjective to whom one might put on the list.

And we all forgot one other one: Billy Gibbons.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    If I want to watch a play that contains a lot of make-up for entertainment, I'd sooner go to a broadway show. frehly was a player who needed paint to mask his lack of talent. Putting frehly in the same category as Page is an insult to Page. When I listen to a frehly solo, I fail to feel any feeling, I only hear hacking. If you're talking commercial music, maybe there's an influence to radio listeners. If you're talking about virtuosic influence, not a chance. You want to know real influence and who knows how to play and with feel, let's reverse the clock a little further than frehly. Here's a few in many guitar players books... Andres Segovia, Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Chuck Berry, Wes Montgomery, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Bob Bogle and Eddy Van Halen, like him or not, Eddy is one of the most influencial guitar players in modern music who revolutionized guitar playing and like Les Paul, Eddy was not only into technique, he was into finding that perfect guitar sound.
    I am amazed that you consider yourself a musician lol to think that someone puts on make up to hide their lack of talent LOL your opinion really ... how can anyone take you serious when that is the first thing you bring up lol

Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    Pleiades nailed it. Frehly doesn't even make the Rolling Stone top 100 and, while I don't agree with all their list, I do agree with that omission. Pleiades, nice to see Segovia top your list and let's add John McGllaughlin, Leo Koettke, Ry Cooder, Leona Boyd, BB King, Buddy Guy, Roy Clark, Carlos Santana and a couple of my own personal favourites - David Gilmour and George Harrison. One thing about music is that it's very subjective. Neither Gilmour or Harrison are at the technical level of many of the others, but they have both had an incredible impact. If I were to set up a rating system, it'd contain (a) Complexity, (b) Cleanliness of Sound, (c) Impact on Other Guitarists, (d) Original Sound and (e) Just Plain Feeling. If you take a guy like BB King, he'd be way up my list because that man has it all. You can watch Frehly play - his whole technique is dirty. I'd give him points for impact though - I've seen a ton of kids ape that nasty technique of his.
    i respect your taste in music .. but really .. to quote Rolling Stones top 100 .. Joan Jett was at 87 ... you really want to quote that list lol ... and to put Eddie Van Halen at 70 ????

Guitar World mag put our their list: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1079309/posts and Ace is at 14 ... so really what do lists mean ? it is one magazines opinion over another.

you stated originallity .. there was noone more original that Ace .. his sound, noone can match it.

but you are right .. Ace had a huge impact on alot of great players

lets not forget Rolling Stones list put Randy rhoads and Tony Iommi at 85 and 86 and didnt even put Zakk Wylde in the top 100 ... so if Ace is not in the top 100 .. then that cant be all that bad lol

Rolling Stones magazine has never written a postive review of KISS ever since 1973 ... and the same ppl that run this magazine are the same folks that have omitted them from the Rock n ROll hall of fame, who which .. are finally nominated this year. STupid.

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

Rolling Stones magazine has never written a postive review of KISS ever since 1973 ... and the same ppl that run this magazine are the same folks that have omitted them from the Rock n ROll hall of fame,

Ha, Ha, Ha.....yeah what do they know?
    You got some dandy reviews here......
    Any list that has Jeff Beck at 24 and Satriani at 77 is joke.
    That type of poll means nothing as people could vote more than once.
    It means the Army is obessed.
    OK, what is his best song?
    I have asked this before and got nothing.
    If he doesn't have a solo of record, what is his best song.
    Let's A B them with something from Beck or Satch.

Hehe. You guys are funny.

When someone starts a post with a sentence like this: "Frehly doesn't even make the Rolling Stone top 100 and, while I don't agree with all their list, I do agree with that omission." Don't you think that maybe he agrees that the Stoner 100 isn't all that great as an authority?

Trouble is, I couldn't find anything better, pathetic as the Stoner is.

Oh, and btw. Check out a blues bit on utube I saw the other night - Santana and Buddy Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JackButler View Post
    Any list that has Jeff Beck at 24 and Satriani at 77 is joke.
    Maybe hell has frozen over .. but finally something JackB has said that i can agree with

Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    Hehe. You guys are funny.

When someone starts a post with a sentence like this: "Frehly doesn't even make the Rolling Stone top 100 and, while I don't agree with all their list, I do agree with that omission." Don't you think that maybe he agrees that the Stoner 100 isn't all that great as an authority?

Trouble is, I couldn't find anything better, pathetic as the Stoner is.

Oh, and btw. Check out a blues bit on utube I saw the other night - Santana and Buddy Guy.
    check out the Guitar world top 100 ... only problem with that list .. it is mainly hard rock and metal guitarists that are in the top 100.

but it was you that brought that list up ... and come on .. Joan jett at 87 ??? that should have sent up red flags for you to walk away from that list lol ... Might as well put Lita Ford in there .. she was always a better guitarist then Joan jett lol

Banned

Maybe hell has frozen over .. but finally something JackB has said that i can agree with
    So....you're saying your list is a joke?
    .......hell has frozen over.

all lists are jokes ... they are based on very narror minded opinions and views .. the guitar world isnt my list .. it was a comparison to another list .. i am not a big jeff beck fan .. but he is an amazing guitar player .. and Satriani would make my top 20 list .. as i stated .. guitar world mag list is mainly metal and hard rock guitarists ... and i guess Joe just isnt heavy enough to be higher then 77.

i am very sure if you put your list of 100 out and i put mine out .. there will be two completly different lists ... different views .. different opinions.

Banned

Now....back to frehly.
    I'll try this again.........
    OK, what is his best solo or song?
    If he doesn't have a solo of record, what is his best song?
    If he doesn't have either, than the influence is his persona.
    They don't want to play like ace....they want to be a big rock star like ace!
    Kinda like...lets say...being influenced by the wwe....wanting to become a mma fighter using wwe techniques!
    .....so in essence....the influence was fake!

now back to reality ..

that made no sense

Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar

Thats no surprise lol

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information