Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I bath my dog in Winter?

Default Should I bath my dog in Winter?

Contrary to popular opinion, your pet actually needs regular shampooing during the winter months to keep his skin and coat healthy. In fact, done properly, a bath can help to reduce dryness, matting and related skin problems. Always follow the shampoo with a conditioning rinse or moisturizing treatment.

Don't be tempted to use your own hair care products on your pet. Animal's skin has a different pH from human skin, so choose products specially formulated for pets. If your pet's skin seems especially dry or scaly, he may need a medicated treatment. If you aren't sure which products are right for your pet, consult a professional groomer for product recommendations.

Also note you should be blow drying your dog , especially in the colder months. If your dog is a coated breed you also need to brush and comb at the same time.
    Make sure you brush out all the mats before you bath them. If you do not the water will make the mats tighter.
    Last edited by autum1; 11-27-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Default Re: Should I bath my dog in Winter?

I absolutely agree. And would like to Add....

Even large dogs need to be clean for winter. when their coat is clean and well brushed their fur lays properly to allow the dog to have his own natural insulation. If a dog is dirty the hair folicles stick together and the hairs cannot effectively insulate. As well, dirt conducts the cold to the skin faster. So your pet can catch a chill so much faster.

If you are afraid of your dog getting a chill after a bath.... A good groomer will make sure your pet is dry before he/she leaves the shop. If you bath at home, make sure your dog is thoroughly dry before you let them outside. Like at night when they are in for the night.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

Question for you guys. My bella is a cross between a black lab golden retriever and a chesapeak bay retriver and she has the short lab fur on the sides that stays soft after a bath but down the middle of her back and tail she has like tight curly hair that is extreamly course and seem to feel almost dried out after i bath her with the shampoo I am using. Is their a shampoo that will work for mixed hair types on one dog? it is hard to expalin, it feels like after you wash your hair with shampoo that strips everything out of it but then after a few days it feels softer. She gets brushed about 2 times a week with a furminator.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

Smile Re: Should I bath my dog in Winter?

Are you using dog shampoo? If so great, maybe try a conditioner with the shampoo or even a Hot Oil treatment every once and a while. Hope this helps.

Try a conditioning shampoo, 2 in 1 dog shampoo, or a separate conditioner in the areas that are drying out. Many Shampoos dog or people strip the natural oils from the hair and it takes time for the body to put the oils back where they belong. There are also leave in conditioners that you can purchase to spray onto the areas after the bath.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

GRUMPY

also try feeding her a can of cheap tuna every now and then.

try salmon oil for your dog. Avaliable at most pet stores or even a holistic store. Mega benefits both inside and out for your dog. A little bit goes a long way!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.

2+2= 7 on this bulletin board, and to argue about it is futile.

yes I do use a dog shampoo and i will try the salmon oil. How much would a 30 pound dog get?
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

for salmon oil, my girl is almost 70lbs and she gets a teaspoon. It can vary dog to dog. On the label it said to give a 70 lbs dog a tablespoon, that was way way way to rich for her system. I will spare you the details...... If you start it, do it gradually. give a taste, then a bit more and so on. It takes about a month to see results.

With my girl who is a northern breed, salmon oil has greatly reduced her spring and winter blowing of the coat. Her skin improved greatly. I was going to the vet at least once a month and getting some sort of anti botic for some skin ailment. Now we haven't had any skin problems at all. Reduce shedding, good skin, healthy heart........love the stuff.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.

2+2= 7 on this bulletin board, and to argue about it is futile.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information