Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TV via Antenna

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Default TV via Antenna

Peety's post got me thinking. I don't have FTA, cable or satellite and I'd rather not get them. What I would like to do though is look into getting old-fashioned broadcast TV on an arial. I know there were some changes this year requiring converters for some, but I've got some questions to ask:

- I've got a modern LCD TV - do I still need a converter?

- I live in a valley - will my reception suffer? Is there any way to improve it?

- How many channels (and which ones) can I expect to recieve with arial alone?

- What are the best arials and the considerations for same?

Anything else I need to know? Any advice would be welcome. I've been renting DVD's for a while now, but the idea of flipping on the news on TV once in a while sounds great.

Thanks!

Default Re: TV via Antenna

Good luck in any of the stores knowing what your talking about.

I even tried google. Not much there. Maybe Grumpy knows

I am sure they all do..

Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    Peety's post got me thinking. I don't have FTA, cable or satellite and I'd rather not get them. What I would like to do though is look into getting old-fashioned broadcast TV on an arial. I know there were some changes this year requiring converters for some, but I've got some questions to ask:

- I've got a modern LCD TV - do I still need a converter?

- I live in a valley - will my reception suffer? Is there any way to improve it?

- How many channels (and which ones) can I expect to recieve with arial alone?

- What are the best arials and the considerations for same?

Anything else I need to know? Any advice would be welcome. I've been renting DVD's for a while now, but the idea of flipping on the news on TV once in a while sounds great.

Thanks!
    You may need a tuner (converter) depending on the features your TV has. You'll have to check that one out.

As for reception, I guess the only way to know is try it. lol

I can't help with the other two questions at all.
    ** Phenom II 1100T BE @ 4.1 GHz | Asus M3A79-T | Corsair H80 | 8 GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-1066 | Radeon HD7970 |Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | 2 x 640GB Blacks in Raid 0 | Silverstone DA750 | Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers | Tritton 5.1 Headhones | 3 x 22" monitors Eyefinity | Tt Element G**

Quote Originally Posted by Peety View Post
    I am sure they all do..
    No Casa's questions are specific like Fudd was talking about in the thread you deleted.

The answer you were looking for had a question such as....... "What is a __________?", and things like that could be found easily. That was the point we were getting at.
    ** Phenom II 1100T BE @ 4.1 GHz | Asus M3A79-T | Corsair H80 | 8 GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-1066 | Radeon HD7970 |Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | 2 x 640GB Blacks in Raid 0 | Silverstone DA750 | Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers | Tritton 5.1 Headhones | 3 x 22" monitors Eyefinity | Tt Element G**

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
    You may need a tuner (converter) depending on the features your TV has. You'll have to check that one out.

As for reception, I guess the only way to know is try it. lol

I can't help with the other two questions at all.
    What features do you think I should look for? Any ideas?

Nocassa being your in the country it might be hard to pick up channels.
    I know with my new tv I could only pick up 2 stations. I decided on a new bell dish.

My mom can not pick up any stations. The one store said she will need a antenna mounted outside. The one cheap one was $139 the guy said. And depends on her location he said.
    I guess the better the antenna better the signal.
    she has the new RcA box and a 40 dollar antenna. picks up nothing.

According to wikipedia we are supposed to stay analog over the air until march of 2011, so im guessing the rabbit ears and some creativity should suffice until then. Not sure if you can pick up stateside channels since their digital switch.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

Quote Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
    According to wikipedia we are supposed to stay analog over the air until march of 2011, so im guessing the rabbit ears and some creativity should suffice until then. Not sure if you can pick up stateside channels since their digital switch.
    Does not work for us.

An NTSC tuner I beleive is what you should look for if you want to watch analogue channels, but I think the analogue channels will be gone by next year anyhow.

I absolutely HATE Expressvu and I'm a very big unfan of satellite dishes overall. If I can't get TV via arial I'm afraid I'll just keep renting movies and that'll be it.

GRUMPY

sadly that looks like your only option now that everything is going digital.

NoCAsa, if you google the brand name and model of your TV, shouldn't the specs you find on your model tell you if you have a converter built in? Secondly,a phone call to the 1-800 number most companies will provide should help.

Secondly, although I have not yet managed to get any reception at my place, up there, I do have a tall antenna mast with one of those round disc antennas on it in my back yard that you are welcome to pick up and try out.. just as a trial to see if it works.. you need a high antenna to clear the hills around your place.

I never got mine to work because I needed to mount it on the roof with a tripod, and that's one of the projects I never got done.

But I need that mast back come summertime..
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

Alternativly you could buy a few miles of ethernet and garden hose and run a hard line to the closest person running broadband and stream live tv lol.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

Thanks Blue I'll maybe take you up on that.

Fudd....ahhh....never mind - lol

What about an antenna on the hill behind your home? Run hard cable down to the house and from up there you just might luck out.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Pretty simple way to tell if you have NTSC or ATSC is if you have a fairly new tv you should have ATSC, but if you have an older tv, like a crt you will have NTSC. Look at the manual or online as that will tell you for sure. Most new tv's have ATSC

As for antennas themselves the ClearStream 4 seems to be one of the better ones from what I have been reading. It reaches upwards of 65 Miles. Its suppose to be a breakthrough technology the way its designed.

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc.../dp/B001BRXW74

Being its a fairly new tv you should be able to plug this right in and get both analog and digital stations. I am not sure where you are or how far in the hole you are, but you should be able to get a bunch of stations, but some like fox which have their transmitters further down south you may not be able to reach.

My parents have an antena hooked up to a digital box and it works great. They get 4-5 channels with a crappy little antena and the picture is perfect. I'm refering to the u.s. channels, 9 & 10, 8. They come in crystal clear. Do a search on Google on how to make a cheap antena.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information