Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A question about GAP clothing.

Default A question about GAP clothing.

My kid came home from school today and told me the kids are saying that the letters in GAP stand for gay and proud. He also went on to tell me that all kids who wear GAP clothes at school get made fun of for it. Any one else hear this before? I am talking grade 3ish here.
    When I make up a lie and can not back out of it, I will just say I am leaving town for a funeral and that should cover up the lie.
    Self-laudation abounds among the unpolished; but nothing can stamp a person more sharply as ill-bred.

If you can't feed them, don't breed them!

Default Re: A question about GAP clothing.

a rumour undoubtedly started by the old navy people

If that catches on, then it won't matter if it's true or not to kids that age
    Maybe it's just easier to let you know when I'm being serious.

I googled it and it says that it was an urban legend that started saying this is what the letters stand for. I know they do not stand for that but I guess kids think they do. My kid refuses to wear anything in fear of getting made fun of so it is a worry. I have told him though he does not have to wear those couple shirts he has anymore.
    When I make up a lie and can not back out of it, I will just say I am leaving town for a funeral and that should cover up the lie.
    Self-laudation abounds among the unpolished; but nothing can stamp a person more sharply as ill-bred.

I heard about that years ago...I mean years - probably 15 or more. I would have a problem with the school not addressing the issue of teasing because of the idea of 'gay and proud'. Are the schoosl not to be reinforcing tolerance and understanding?
    Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
    Leon J. Suenes

In grade 3, the kids teacher should be talking to the class. My son didn't start with that until grade 5.
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

I agree with both you guys and did call the school. The principle told me unless they are picked on and the child reports it there is nothing they can do cause no one reported it or it was not heard by others.

On a side note while searching I found another reason for the GAP acronym. The wife of the husband wife team that started the company left him for cheating on her. She got mad so now the letters stand for:

G arry's
    A
    P rick.

LOL

the kids will keep doing it no matter what the teacher does. when i was a kid, it was the orange/red tab levis. the in ones were silver tabs. like who cares what color the tag on your pants are. it should be addressed but kids will be kids. gap clothes suck anyways, so i wouldn't worry about it too much. get him something cooler and he'll forget all about it.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

I did blue. He is now into aeropostale, american eagle, abercombie and fitch, etc.

GAP is a clothing brand that derives its name from the word 'generation gap' between adults and children. The Fisher's were frustrated with the lack of fashionable styles and decent customer services. They decided to come up with their own brand of clothing. 'Levi's for Guys and Gals' and 'Fall into the Gap', were two of their early mottos. Around 1982, they decided to focus on the private label clothing and by 1991-92, stopped carrying Levi's.
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

and i bet he feels better. (:
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

Quote Originally Posted by bluekrissyspikes View Post
    and i bet he feels better. (:
    That he does

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
    I did blue. He is now into aeropostale, american eagle, abercombie and fitch, etc.
    What is wrong with Zellers?
    Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
    Leon J. Suenes

Quote Originally Posted by No Drama Please View Post
    What is wrong with Zellers?
    You are kidding right....If they thought gap clothes were bad try sending them to school in walmart or zellers clothes...yikes

My son's came home a few years ago and told me that. That was back when they could care less what they wore and weren't particular if it had a certain name or not.

My daughter has a hoodie that was given to her with GAP across the front..she still wears it, apparently the rumour hasn't hit her class yet.
    ♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**. ❤.**♫♪

Anyone remember ISPO brand jackets from the early eighties? If so, remember what that meant?

I though it stood for "Get A Pencil" I guess you could come up with terms all day long for the letters GAP if your bored enough.

Banned

I always thought it was called The Gap because the store was always in between 2 bigger stores. A teacher told me that several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
    You are kidding right....If they thought gap clothes were bad try sending them to school in walmart or zellers clothes...yikes
    Oh boy...you have set yourself up for a lifetime of buying expensive labels. Shoulda talked to me first...I would have warned you about that lol.
    Leon J. Suenes

Wow I heard this when i was in grade school...

Quote Originally Posted by really? View Post
    anyone remember ispo brand jackets from the early eighties? If so, remember what that meant?
    lmao!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    This is an abuse of moderator powers.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information