Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie roller blader looking for suggestions

Default Newbie roller blader looking for suggestions

I'm trying my hand at roller blading. I have a borrowed pair of blades, knee pads and elbow pads.

Just curious where good places might be to roller blade. I have no real ice skating experience either so this should be interesting [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]

Any suggestions on places and blading techniques?

Default Re: Newbie roller blader looking for suggestions

lmao well it is just like ice skating, i would advise the boardwalk is a good place, if you are not sure of yourself on blades i would say today is not the day to go because of the amount of people downtown. Also bellevue park has a lot of smooth paths. And if you know someone who has a child in a stroller borrow said child and stroller lol til you get the hang of it you can use the stroller for support and not look like a tard, or fall too much [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Hahaha! I was thinking of that child stroller idea already. That 'tard' comment is too funny lol.

I am not too sure of my abilities because I have no real ice skating experience. So .. I was thinking of going around the block and seeing how I make out on a quiet side street.

Bellevue park sounds great. Thanks for the tip on the boardwalk, being busy today. I hadn't thought of that.

I would suggest "wrist guards" as the number one injury with roller blading is broken wrists or other wrist injuries. Ouch!

don.t be afraid of using a hockey stick or ski pole for balancing your self... i used to roller blade a lot, mainly on newly paved roads but i was almost hit a few times due to the lack of respect some drivers have for pedestrians, bikers , bladers etc...great excecise...i just wish we had extensive safe paths to blade on...
    better to burnout,,,,than fade away

good suggestions. I picked up some wrist pads. lol - gonna try and locate a hockey stick.

hahaha - I made it around the block intact. I need to strengthen my ankles it seems though. Could be due to no ice skating obviously.

Senior Member Sweet_And_Innocent's Avatar

I love rollerblading but I found it slightly different then ice skating. I really noticed this when I got back on the ice in the winter... but that could just be me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don.t be afraid of using a hockey stick or ski pole for balancing your self... i used to roller blade a lot, mainly on newly paved roads but i was almost hit a few times due to the lack of respect some drivers have for pedestrians, bikers , bladers etc...great excecise...i just wish we had extensive safe paths to blade on... </div></div>

Uhhhhh so you do know that it is actually ILLEGAL to Rollerblade on the road, right?

Stick to smoothly paved paths like in Bellevue Park or the BoardWalk. Avoid hills or inclines until you are comfortable with your stopping abilities!
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

There's a nice path along carmens way too, but some hills.

Watch if you fall too you don't smash the back of your head off the pavement, it hurts. Stones really suck too, lol.

Sweet_and_Innocent, I hate trying to go from blades to skates or vice versa. I always looked like a boob during the first exhibitionb game of the season because I'd be trying to roller blade on ice. lol, skates have a lot less friction. The best is when you go from skates to blades, and you try to stop side ways and get a face full of sidewalk.

Good luck MTM.

since when has it been illegal to rollerblade on the roads?

The city passed a bylaw about 10 years ago, not that anyone pays attention to it.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

ok thanks tutones ...i did'nt know that....i thought when i first started to blade that a great safe place to learn would be at the queen e oval...but blades boards etc were outlawed there...oh well

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information