Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ice Fishing

Smile Ice Fishing

Just wanted to start the thread and see how everyone is doing. Any body of water, any species. What's happening this year on the hardwater.

Default Re: Ice Fishing

does any know of any pickerel lakes that you can drive too. I'm interested in bringing the family ice-fishing for the day but we don't own any snowmobiles.

Default Re: Ice Fishing

There are plenty of lakes to fish for pickerel without a snowmachine, however, it depends how far you want to drive. Since you are describing a family outing, I assume you want to stay relatively close to the Soo and area.

Most lakes that are close by, contain trout. However, some of the lakes that are near Echo Bay and Bruce Mines contain pickerel and you can drive to them (Echo Lake, Caribou and Rock Lake are examples). If you are not familiar with these lakes, an area map will help a lot. The lakes are surrounded by private property so you must access them from specific public access points. I am not sure whether the public access points are plowed (probably not) but I would suspect there will be trails from snow machines to walk on.

I have heard recent reports of "some" pickerel being caught in the Havilland Bay area. If you want to try there, you never know, you might catch pickerel. However, whenever I have fished Havilland Bay, I have caught mainly Perch, Lake Trout and Whitefish.

I fish for pickerel a lot but I tend to venture North towards Wawa, White River and Chapleau. These areas are far better since pickerel is a very popular species; most of our area lakes and streams containing pickerel have been fished heavily.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information