Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bell HD question

Default Bell HD question

Can you swap out a regular Bell box for a Bell HD box, or does it require something else besides a new box?
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Default Re: Bell HD question

Not exactly sure what your asking, but if you mean you'd like to take out an SD cable box and put in an HD cable box it will work, but to get HD programming you need 2 LNBs on your dish, so you have 2 clbles running to the one HD box, and of course HD programming from the provider.

You may need to get a different dish also - They have an HD kit which includes the extra LNB and a SW44 switch that you run your indoor cables from so that actually you only have one cable to each receiver. It's a bit of a pain to line up the 2 satellites, but after that it works fine.

I got 3 boxes, and I want one to be a HD with the other regular ones. And I want HD programming.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

That's exactly the setup I have, HD PVR in the living room, and 2 standard in bedrooms. The switch has 4 lines, 2 for the HD as its dual tuner so you can watch one program and record another, or you can use PIP or you can hook up the HD box to 2 TVs, so even though it's in one room you can watch, record or watch previously recorded programming in either one of two rooms.

I just did this last week, if you have an older model dish on the house, you may have to get a new dish installed. The new one has two LNB's and is actually pointed differently. I lost a few of my "regular channels" until I called bell. I had to shut off my receivers, restart them and do a switch test then all my "old" channels came back.

I went with an HD box in my living room and regular old receivers in two bedrooms.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

I got this 3 year contract deal, so I guess I should give them a call and tell them what I want and when they can come and install it.

The one thing to look at is if you rent the cable boxes, if they break they replace them. If you buy them and they break after warranty your SOL, but you don't pay monthly for them. Toss up really. Make sure your dish signal is as good as it could be before the tech leaves too.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information