Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Being nosey and noticed some strange members?

Default Being nosey and noticed some strange members?

No offence to the people it concerns if they are real users but I was being nosey and seeing who was on right now and somebody by the name MSNBot Spider and an AskJeeves spider or something along those lines were viewing forums. Is that normal? I am terrified of viruses/hackers and I know nothing about computers. Just a general concern I guess....
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

Default Re: Being nosey and noticed some strange members?

It is normal....
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

Ok good Thanks!
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

yep and once I seen 12 different bots on gathering page info. When you goggle or yahoo or what ever search engine what comes up is what the bots have collected.
    If Your reading this the topic must be boring.

Oh yeah? Huh, thats neat. Thanks for the info! As I said, I know nothing about computers and hackers freak me right out. my eyes popped out of my head when I saw it haha. Thanks again!

Those are spiders, automated search indexing services run by Google, Microsoft, and other legitimate search engines. .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Seraph

And they do a good job.

Check this out

Go to Google and type Y7JKP098HGB3752 and this thread will be the only thing that comes up! (it's just a random sequence I typed but you can bet that since I just made that up this is the only page on the net with that exact sequence that google will come up with!)

Omg thats creepy. I didnt try it because I would rather be blind to the creepiness.

So what exactly does all of this mean?
    Somewhere in a lonely hotel room
    there’s a guy starting to realize
    That eternal fate has turned it's back on him
    It's two a.m.

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Spiders are the tools that google and other search engines use to go out onto the net and find the information they add to their searches. The way that Seraph's random number would show up on a google search is that the spider had gone out, read the number from this thread and then added it to the google search database. Then, when you type the number into the google search it taps it's own database, finds the number and presents the link in the results.

Seraph

Quote Originally Posted by NoCasa View Post
    Spiders are the tools that google and other search engines use to go out onto the net and find the information they add to their searches. The way that Seraph's random number would show up on a google search is that the spider had gone out, read the number from this thread and then added it to the google search database. Then, when you type the number into the google search it taps it's own database, finds the number and presents the link in the results.
    Exactly.
    They are just like probes. They come here, say hey look they're talking about us, and then they post this thread in the google search engine so people can find it!

When people create a web page, without these probes no one would ever visit it and it would just be alone on the internet. But because these probes find everything and tell Google about it, everything you could ever want to look up is on the search engines because of spiders and web crawlers collecting data!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information