Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very Itchy Skin

IMHO

Default Very Itchy Skin

I have developed this condition whereby every few hours each day i get intense itching mainly it starts in the feet and works its way up.including the chest and arms as well as the legs. I have to scratch so hard to stop the itch and then it leaves red blotches that eventually go away(until the next round of itching). I have tried Benadryl and it makes no difference. Any ideas?

Default Re: Very Itchy Skin

you need a humidifier - the air is very dry.

if you find your itching is caused by dry skin, try putting a few capfuls of olive oil in your bath once or twice a week. It's surprising how soft and supple your skin feels afterward

have you started taking any new medications, even suppliments you could be having a reaction to?

If you don't think it's a reaction to something, and just the dry skin/winter itchies, I'd suggest some Eucerin lotion. There's a heavy duty foot cream (10% urea), a good hand cream (5% urea), and an overall lotion (Eucerin Calming Cream), with mineral oil and collodial oatmeal for the itchies over the rest of the body...I use it for my itchy shins. The urea holds the moisture in the skin. I have to use all three or my skin falls off in the winter...cracked and bleeding hands, too.

I get seriously dry skin and can't use much of anything because I end up having reactions to it all. I have found a new skin cream that works great, doesn't irritate and doesn't feel greasy at all when you put it on.
    It isn't cheap, I paid $8.99 for a tube but it was worth every cent for me.
    This is what I have to use
    http://www.spectroskincare.com/eczem...ion_cream.aspx

My feet itch like crazy at night too with the dryness but I've taken to using Vitamin E ointment (Webbers). I slather my feet then put on warm socks.........then I wake up with soft moisturized feet.
    Webbers is about $6.99 at Metro in their pharmacy (more expensive everywhere else) and it works great for dry hands, feet, lips but is a bit thick to use on the whole body.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Loop, try putting your foot cream on right after the bath or shower...makes a world of difference, I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by b&aMom View Post
    Loop, try putting your foot cream on right after the bath or shower...makes a world of difference, I've found.
    and like loopy said, good idea to put socks on as well right after applying the lotion. keeps all the moisture and lotion in.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information