Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: omg I spit out my soup! Pay toll at garden river?

Default omg I spit out my soup! Pay toll at garden river?

What a joke, can they not build highway around the reserve and quit holding the average citizen hostage??

I could be wrong but I am sure the idiot who negotiated this did not include, "you may charge a toll of whatever you feel like on this brand new highway paid by taxpayers."

Default Re: omg I spit out my soup! Pay toll at garden river?

Interesting bargaining ploy...or blackmail lol
    It's time to pay

tear up their land contract. i'm sure forcing i fee to pass through must be a breach of contract somehow. end of story. or build a road around and then have the gov charge a large toll on all the roads leading out of the reservation onto gov land. see if they like that.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

Is it on the old hwy or new? I'll have to read it.

I will just drive around the toll booth...they can charge me or something. I see this as more of a threat so the government pays up. More whining.

GRUMPY

seeing that they made a contract with the government for the land the next time they try to stop traffic they should get their arses thrown in jail!

Seraph

I think that for all the BS my people have had to endure over the last few hundred years not stopping short at murder and defamation, including being completely robbed of our way of life that all the immigrants who call themselves Canadian can go back to Europe if they don't like it.
    First Nation means we were here first so deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    I think that for all the BS my people have had to endure over the last few hundred years not stopping short at murder and defamation, including being completely robbed of our way of life that all the immigrants who call themselves Canadian can go back to Europe if they don't like it.

Like many Canadians with long blood lines in the country, I'm Metis - where do I fit into this.

You see - it's not a European and first nation issue anymore. It's alot more complicated. I can understand both sides of the arguments but really it isn't in anyone's favour to keep a chip on their shoulder. Until we can come to terms with the past we obviously will have a hard time moving forward.

Oh, and the treaties are also provide rights to the European immigrants too. I thought you told us may months ago that these contract need to be honoured. It's not a one-way street.

GRUMPY

nice to see a couple of members got sucked into this idiotic arument

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Quote Originally Posted by Koss View Post
    Like many Canadians with long blood lines in the country, I'm Metis - where do I fit into this.

You see - it's not a European and first nation issue anymore. It's alot more complicated. I can understand both sides of the arguments but really it isn't in anyone's favour to keep a chip on their shoulder. Until we can come to terms with the past we obviously will have a hard time moving forward.

Oh, and the treaties are also provide rights to the European immigrants too. I thought you told us may months ago that these contract need to be honoured. It's not a one-way street.
    Koss, Seraph mentioned just a short while ago on another thread that it has an Italian / Native background, so I guess that would be Metis as well.

I know that the Native People claim that the Europeans have broken treaties with them in the past, but I've also seen the European courts force some pretty darn big settlements many times. That said, if the Garden River First Nation wants to start charging tolls for highway use they will be breaking a contract since the land in question was purchased from them fair and square so they would be charging tolls on land they do not own. The result then, would be that they would be taken to court and would lose, possibly also being charged with trespass, mischief and/or fraud. Much the same as if I were to rent out your house.

I think we live in a completely different world than what we did even ten years ago. It doesn't matter who was here first. What does matter is who is here now and we need to learn how to coexist. It is anger like this that is causing all of the hostility. Do the First Nations people not benefit from the lifestyle we live today? Do First Nations people not benefit from things like western medicine, paved roads etc.? I think that as much as assimilation was a terrible thing, and always will be, the First Nations people have greatly benefited, as we all have, from the 'Canadian' lifestyle. I think it be fair to suggest that there are more pros than cons to living the Canadian lifestyle. I'm not suggesting the actions of the past should be ignored, but I do think we need to start focusing on the future instead of dwelling on the past so much. I am not in any way saying this to be controversial or offensive, but it is how I feel. I refuse to argue about this too. I'm not suggesting you would argue it with me, but there are plenty who would gladly do so. Just my two cents..

They are lucky we don't treat them like the Israelis treat the Palestinians.

Seraph

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Leroy View Post
    I think we live in a completely different world than what we did even ten years ago. It doesn't matter who was here first. What does matter is who is here now and we need to learn how to coexist. It is anger like this that is causing all of the hostility. Do the First Nations people not benefit from the lifestyle we live today? Do First Nations people not benefit from things like western medicine, paved roads etc.? I think that as much as assimilation was a terrible thing, and always will be, the First Nations people have greatly benefited, as we all have, from the 'Canadian' lifestyle. I think it be fair to suggest that there are more pros than cons to living the Canadian lifestyle. I'm not suggesting the actions of the past should be ignored, but I do think we need to start focusing on the future instead of dwelling on the past so much. I am not in any way saying this to be controversial or offensive, but it is how I feel. I refuse to argue about this too. I'm not suggesting you would argue it with me, but there are plenty who would gladly do so. Just my two cents..

Ok I won't argue with you. I like my computer. But I'm also a bit of a green anarchist. Do we have to clear cut forests or wipe out whole species for "development"
    While I will agree that developing the world is a great idea, I question how.
    Before Europeans came here we might as well have lived the way we did for centuries and not cared for anything new. But bringing things like guns destroyed the hunter's arm, beer, do I need to start on your beer?

What do you call a beer bottle on the side of the road?

We all know this joke. That's freaking SAD.

I will promote advancement. I don't think we have to argue. I do think we can all be peaceful. It's not about papers and agreements.

On paperwork my friend is a convicted spouse abuser. He just pleaded guilty to get out of years of court process, he never hit her.

That's Paper.

Paper says this and that but the truth is that maybe we should stop developing and start giving back to the land a little more.
    Help each other, embrace each other.

I for one would do ANYTHING to be allowed to live off the land. I've grown up a bush kid, and I love making things, being in nature. I love it.

I only wish I had someone to teach me to hunt, to take care of my kill and to respect the spirit of it.
    That is the greatest loss.

The fact that my whole family denies being of native descent because we look white enough to hide it. That hurts. Yes my dad was half Italian. Mom is Metis, Dad is half Ojibwe.
    I stand in the middle of all this BS too but I always stand up for those who are right.

We can have both peacefully.
    I can live half breed, I can live with these "improvements" but one thing I can not live without is my roots and my cultural heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie_Normous View Post
    You're simply lucky you weren't wiped off the face of the earth like every other inferior civilization throughout history. You want your way of life back? Make your way into a forest, strip down to a loin cloth and some home-made furs, build a damn leather "house" and consider your self living "as you were".
    Well, unfortunately the land is not quite what it was,
    usually I would not respond to such a outwardly RACIST comment as the last time I did I was banned from soonet....

How do I do that?

Well let look at the most obvious contradiction here...First Nations People are NOT an inferior civilization as alot of what you would understand from mainstream culture derives from First Nation understandings....

and yes, alot of First nations would like their life back, not sure what you mean by that though....less marginalization, no criminal justice system, diabetes, alcohol, pollution, racism, discrimination, access to all resources...autonomy and title...

you would be surprised how little of First nation people own a loin cloth....or ever wore one....and how do you have home made furs? furs are not home-made....and a leather house are actually quite comfortable and cost considerably less than 150,000 dollars per unit....very communal too...

Any historically First Nations people went through the process of genocide by colonizers....and guess what....1. we are still here, 2. We are not going anywhere.....
    Last edited by Wisdom; 02-02-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    We cannot simply think of our survival; each new generation is responsible to ensure the
    survival of the seventh generation
    …Indigenous people are the poorest of the poor and the
    holders of the key to the future survival of humanity.

IMHO

The Natives just put this kind of STUFF out there to see how the white man reacts. They are laughing themselves silly down there while we took the bait hook, line, and sinker.

Tolls on both old and new won't much help their brand, spanking-new golf course out there, now would it?

And do we millions of Metis get a 50% discount? : )

And what's the discount if there are 3 Metis and one "white" guy in the car? LOL

Not to sound racist or anything but didnt the government purchase the land from the Natives that the highway sits on? If so, wouldnt that make it the property of the government/taxpayers instead of the Natives? If that is correct, than I dont see a logical/legal reason why the Natives could charge a toll to travel along the highway. If the Natives seriously try this, maybe the government should come back with a toll for every exit off their reservation.
    <insert witty comment here>

Getting out the popcorn...this is gonna be good.
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

I was born here, just like you. I have EVERY right to be here.

And I would like to remind everyone, any kind of racist comments from ANYONE will result in infractions/bannings. This applies to everyone, including you Seraph.

If it harms NONE, do as you will...

Canada is a land of freedom to practice ones beliefs, religion, culture and heritage... everyone should be treated with equality and fairness, it's pretty simple really. To be held responsible for the actions of my ancestors is ridiculous.....
    There's no problem too great that can't be lessened by a couple swings..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information