Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking labels

Default Checking labels

I'm in this new healthy lifestyle kick but I'm not sure what I should b checking on labels.. What's good and what's bad for us, its a bit confusing checking labels. What do u check for?

Default Re: Checking labels

make sure no trans fats
    check fat/sugar content
    if ur wanting to go healthy just shop the produce, meat , dairy section stay away from the aisles unless ur getting rice/pasta etc...

I eat high fat items, with very low carb/sugar counts. since starting this, I have lost 25 pounds. We eat a ton of veggies, minimal fruit, plenty of cheese, and meat, meat, meat. Very healthy for you. Trust me.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

also watch for the sodium content. i just saw on canada am how incredibly high some sodium levels are. and they reminded us that the labels are per serving not per container. (like i will eat a whole can of ready to eat soup, about 2 cups or so, but the serving sizes are per half cup or per cup)

Sodium is a real kicker for strokes I believe, not to mention it can cause ankles to swell. What I look for on the labels is no trans fat/Saturated fat, very little sodium (which is super high in low cal frozen entrees), high vitamin contents (any and all!), I try to avoid carbs too, anything with 20g or more per serving doesn't find it's way near my cart.
    I do a lot of comparing of labels on all the packaged foods we buy. Seeing most of the labels has caused us to start making most things from scratch so I can adjust the contents. It's a lot of work compared to what I'm used to with the little food prep time I have but it's working for us.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Quote Originally Posted by A*lil*Loopy View Post
    Sodium is a real kicker for strokes I believe, not to mention it can cause ankles to swell. What I look for on the labels is no trans fat/Saturated fat, very little sodium (which is super high in low cal frozen entrees), high vitamin contents (any and all!), I try to avoid carbs too, anything with 20g or more per serving doesn't find it's way near my cart.
    I do a lot of comparing of labels on all the packaged foods we buy. Seeing most of the labels has caused us to start making most things from scratch so I can adjust the contents. It's a lot of work compared to what I'm used to with the little food prep time I have but it's working for us.
    We actually stick to below 20 grams of carbs per day. Or, as close to as we can. Prep time takes a bit longer, but we get to eat a lot of delicious food now. I am really pleased with the results.

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

you really have to watch those frozen entrées

this one is a little extreme, but I've yet to find any that are actually good for you

I'll second skipping the labels and shopping the sides and back of the stores. Only place to maybe pick up decent stuff is in the baking section (flour, sugar, etc.) and in the condiments...dill pickles are good for you. : )

Is that frozen entree nutrition panel for real??? OMG. I've never bought them, we cook (pretty much) from scratch.

I try to eat as much fresh food as possible. That way I don't have to worry about labels. 25 lbs so far......
    Somewhere in a lonely hotel room
    there’s a guy starting to realize
    That eternal fate has turned it's back on him
    It's two a.m.

I lost 20 pounds by not eating sugar/flours.

I am pretty pleased with my results. Just gonna keep eating as I have been, enjoying the delicious foods I am allowed, and enjoy a leaner body to go with it.

Oh, and flour is VERY bad for you. It is just as evil as plain old sugar.

Unless you have Celiac's then flour's not bad for you. The best flour, though, is freshly ground whole wheat, not that overly processed white crap. I made the change to whole wheat bread and rice that's far less processed, and I can't imagine the difference in how much flavour there is.

You even have to watch the veggies and fruit you eat. We had carrots tonight that I'd purchased last week, and they tasted like air. Seriously, no carrot flavour whatsoever. That's what happens when the farmers deplete the soil, and change to the best specimen for mass farming. I can smell a carrot I've just pulled from the garden from a few feet away, but one from the store I can't even taste. Have to wonder how much good stuff there is in the one from the store.

Quote Originally Posted by b&aMom View Post
    Unless you have Celiac's then flour's not bad for you. The best flour, though, is freshly ground whole wheat, not that overly processed white crap. I made the change to whole wheat bread and rice that's far less processed, and I can't imagine the difference in how much flavour there is.

You even have to watch the veggies and fruit you eat. We had carrots tonight that I'd purchased last week, and they tasted like air. Seriously, no carrot flavour whatsoever. That's what happens when the farmers deplete the soil, and change to the best specimen for mass farming. I can smell a carrot I've just pulled from the garden from a few feet away, but one from the store I can't even taste. Have to wonder how much good stuff there is in the one from the store.
    Flour is actually VERY bad for you. Most people do have an intolerence to it, and it is not always in the form of celiac disease.

If I eat flour (white or whole wheat), I find my body will bloat, I have less energy and gain weight. (I work in a job that has me on my feet running around for hours on end, so, it is not a lack of exercise)

My husband has the same problem, as do many of our family/friends.

Flour itself is not bad for you. Flour is finely ground wheat. Overly processed WHITE flour has little nutritional content. If you eat the whole kernel ground, then it's good for you. However, most don't buy whole wheat flour (short shelf life due to the oils in it), and almost no one but "homesteader" of health nut types buy wheat berries to grind as needed. That's the ideal route, though.

They don't call it the staff of life for nothing.

Chelle .. I will msg you on msn when I get a chance .. i will bring you over some paper work that I gonig through now, it might help you out.
    Copyright© 2016. Reproduction of this Post in part or whole is prohibited

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information