Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Talks break down

IMHO

Default Re: Talks break down

I thought we were free on here to express opinions.!!!! I frimlt believe educated people should earn more than the ineducated.. How can you argue with that? A mechanic should be paid more than the car detailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    What amazes me about these type of discussions is the anti-union people have no idea what unionism is about, and act as the typical scab/management personae when commenting about it. If you have no idea what you are talking about, .... STFU.

They are making decisions about their livelihood, and your opinions means squat. It makes me laugh to see middle class people support a management agenda, and then when they get bit in the a$$, they cry all day long. Give your support to the working person, .... our society was built with their sweat and blood.
    The striking members have given up a lot of money so far. Money they will never be able to recuperate, no matter how good the next offer will be.
    What I want to know is why the offer was voted down. Was it that bad that the strike had to continue?
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

As stated before, you are right this time. When you say, "from what I've read", it is obvious the press har having a field day with this strike. Its a good story for them, and they don't care who they make out to be the villian. The union doesn't advertise with the newspapers but the dealers do, .... who do you think they are going to side with? I can assure you the members aren't being screwed by their union.
    The statements are from IAMAW Business Representative Rob Thompson himself. They're weak and the workers are getting screwed by their union, unless you want to prove Thompson was misquoted by the media.
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    Just love it when there is a strike at the plant or places other places like the car dealerships now and everybody tells the workers what they should or shouldn't do. If it doesn't affect you personally butt out and STFU.
    It affects anyone who needs service at the particular car dealership.

IMHO

At any rate...I suspect the dealers will wait for those on strike to make the next move...don't blame the dealers one bit. Turn down a credible offer and you reap what you sow. I would never take my car to any of those dealers after the strike...those unhappy mechanics will tinker with, IN MY OPINION, to cause the dealer complaints.

I think most would agree that a persons education and skill level should be aligned with an occupation in their paygrade.

Should they get paid more than other mechanics or mailmen?
    Should union mechanic get paid more than non union mechanic?

So I googled this, ... "IAMAW Rob Thompson", .... and could not find any such quote. Where did you find it? I won't try to prove he is misquoted. I plan on calling him and asking if he will respond to your allegations here on SooNet.
    Good for you inspector.

Everything I quoted was from the SooToday.com article I linked to earlier in this thread.
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Post #22.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Free estimates fom the average handyman don't usually amount to much.

GRUMPY

actual the last strike at the plant we got $20 but then they are about as chicken sh** an organization as there is. I almost wrote union but they are far from being that. I would walk before I crossed a picket line but then again I'd never deal with any of those outfits that are shut .

IMHO

So fenderbass...why not educate us if we are all wet. Give us your view on why you are not willing to settle. I have yet to hear a good reason.

There is nothing lower than a member of any union crossing another union's picket line and then trying to call themselves a unionist. They are simply a scab that is ugly and will never heal.

Good luck fenderbass.
    So now that my $60,000.00 SUV work truck requires warranty work or warranty maintenance I should park it or take it to a non union, unrecognized shop for scheduled maintains or drive to hell and gone just to avoid pissing you off? I wasn't an ugly, never healing scab when I bought the truck but now it needs work to maintain warranty and now I am a pariah? The mechanics and bosses are not talking to each other and I am a jerk? Who will pay for repairs when my warranty is null and void? YOU??
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

There is nothing in the link on post #22 or any of the links I read that say this. You are making up lies and stirring up $hit. So much for your credibility.
    Asking for specifics from you is like asking a two year old to explain the theory of relativity. Since you won't explain what the hell you mean, I'm going to assume Ne touchez paz was right and you think I attributed this statement to Thompson -- "They're weak [the reasons] and the workers are getting screwed by their union."

Allow me to walk you through this.

Thompson outlined some points of contention in the SooToday article I linked to in POST #22. I, KDawg, said they were weak and I, KDawg, said the workers are getting screwed by their union. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    Nice platitudes. This thread is about the breakdown in talks between the auto dealerships and IAMAW Local Lodge 2332. Specifics ARE the issue.

1. “Management has offered a $300 signing bonus in lieu of retroactive pay but if we signed a deal tomorrow, the retro pay for a mechanic would be over $400,” explained Thompson.

2. “The [dental] plan we’re proposing will cover 80 percent of basic costs with the employees picking up the remaining 20 percent but they won’t provide us with their costing figures.”

3. Another bone of contention concerns the length of the probation period for newly hired workers.

It now stands at 100 continuous working days and Thompson says that’s too long.

“It amounts to inequality for new hires,” explained Thompson. “They have no benefits and no representation for what amounts to 5-1/2 months. They can be let go after 99 continuous working days with no recourse or benefits and that’s just wrong.”

Those are just three of the issues that Thompson himself are points of contention. I (and maybe others) think those are terrible reasons for the union to walk away from the table. So far, from what I've read, the union heads are the ones running the show, and once again, the worker is the one getting screwed by their own union.

Who said that workers don't have a right to be unionized? If you want to start a thread about how great unions are, go right ahead.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by 7UP View Post
    So fenderbass...why not educate us if we are all wet. Give us your view on why you are not willing to settle. I have yet to hear a good reason.
    This has been asked a couple of times in this thread -- don't expect an answer.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

If you need maintenance,like an oil change or a tire repair then Bostons,or Maitlands can still do it...Bostons is still doing GMPP extended warranty. But if you drive a Dodge then your stuck...to the members that think I should tell them all the reasons why we are still out..This is a public board and I am not going to post union issues..
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

Quote Originally Posted by fenderbass View Post
    ...to the members that think I should tell them all the reasons why we are still out..This is a public board and I am not going to post union issues..
    IAMAW Business Representative Rob Thompson publicly outlined 3 points of contention in the SooToday.com article (see above). Is he right or was he misquoted?
    ~Abraham Lincoln

IMHO

well...THATS A REALLY MATURE ATTITUDE FENDERASS. You want support...you would like us to honk when we drive by...you would appreciate us dropping off wood pallets etc ...and yet you do not think we are able to handle an explanation as to why you did not settle? YOU INSULT MY INTELLIGNCE.

GRUMPY

"YOU INSULT MY INTELLIGNCE." It would mean something if you could spell intelligence.

IMHO

This is not a spelling bee.
    Last edited by IMHO; 03-21-2010 at 10:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information