Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how does this deserve it's own forum?

Default how does this deserve it's own forum?

Can't this entire thing go somewhere else? like into a "help wanted", or "looking for work?"

Default Re: how does this deserve it's own forum?

Ask Shawn? Maybe if it bugs you that much you can also just skip clicking on it all together? Maybe step away from the keyboard?

PS: it's a sub form of the main music forum
    When I make up a lie and can not back out of it, I will just say I am leaving town for a funeral and that should cover up the lie.
    Self-laudation abounds among the unpolished; but nothing can stamp a person more sharply as ill-bred.

If you can't feed them, don't breed them!

Quote Originally Posted by PwRjinjin View Post
    Can't this entire thing go somewhere else? like into a "help wanted", or "looking for work?"
    or under "music"? oh wait...
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

DJ's can advertise.

Sound guys cannot.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    DJ's can advertise.

Sound guys cannot.
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by NewCasa View Post
    Correct
    Can anybody explain why??

Can anybody explain why??
    Will just because do?
    When I make up a lie and can not back out of it, I will just say I am leaving town for a funeral and that should cover up the lie.
    Self-laudation abounds among the unpolished; but nothing can stamp a person more sharply as ill-bred.

If you can't feed them, don't breed them!

I'm a DJ, so of course I don't mind the sub-section...but I don't understand why a sound guy can't advertise his services. Especially since a sound guy is important for some of the musicians.
    The trouble with life is..there's no background music.

GRUMPY

and actually has more to do with the music.

Thank's, Spin.

And Grumpster, I've seen good DJ's do their thing. It's an art, done well, just like any other musician.

GRUMPY

sorry no disrespect but a disc spinner is no more a musician than the kid walking down the street playing his mp3 player.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    sorry no disrespect but a disc spinner is no more a musician than the kid walking down the street playing his mp3 player.
    Somewhere, somehow...

"Ladies And Gentlemen, hope you've enjoyed the dancing so far and your DJ. Now, for the next half hour, or until you throw him out, a gentleman known only as "Mr. G" will be entertaining you as your DJ. Enjoy!!!"

Anybody think there'd be the sound of breaking glass in less than 5 minutes??

Thank's, Spin.

And Grumpster, I've seen good DJ's do their thing. It's an art, done well, just like any other musician.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    I was just cruising some posts and came upon this one. Grumpy is right, .... don't for a minute lump in a DJ with musicians.

Do you think a person attends an event because a certain DJ is spinning the discs? All a DJ offers is a group of people a chance to request a certain song played at any such time out of the normal loop. Other than that, just set up your laptop with the extensive list of favourite oldies playing in a random order, and you have an instant (and free) DJ.

A sound technician has far more value to the music world than a DJ, .... just my humble opinion.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

So that means you could go out and buy the gear and let any kid spin the tunes and make money??

We both know how THAT would go over.

So that means you could go out and buy the gear and let any kid spin the tunes and make money??

We both know how THAT would go over.
    I was at a wedding this summer and talked with the DJ. Other than the sound system (which is rented in some cases) his most important piece of equipment was his laptop. It was loaded with thousands of songs. He played from a list (appropriate) for the event and took in requests which was nothing more than typing in the song title and double clicking. I fail to see how he or his skills are comparable to that of a musician.
    Last edited by riggs; 11-24-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: grammar
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

Maybe some of you nay-sayers should come out and watch what a good dj actually does. There's more to it than making up a playlist and hitting the play button. Dance music (meaning Electronic Dance Music) is beat mixed, mashed up, and other forms of mixing are accomplished to keep the dancing continuous yet non-monotonous. Look up mash ups on youtube sometime. You could tell which djs that created them excel at their craft, and which djs are not so good, or crappy, by the choice of songs used and the way they are mixed together. I'm all for live bands, but there are times where a dj is a more suitable choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    Maybe some of you nay-sayers should come out and watch what a good dj actually does.
    How far from the Sault would I have to travel to see one?
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    How far from the Sault would I have to travel to see one?
    Only as far as the Canadian Nightclub on a Thursday Night. After midnight or so, when the room energy is high.

DJ's also do much more than setup a basic playlist. Being an on-air Internet DJ, it takes a lot of effort and work to plan shows. I gotta give in-person DJ's credit because you can't just go in with standard playlists and expect an audience to respond. You have to be able to watch the audience, discover what their genre interests are, and then provide for those interests. If you have an older audience you're not going to crank up the latest from the Black Eyed Peas, for example.

In my live DJ work I get at least 3-4 days to plan out my 3-hour shows and I pretty much know in advance what my audience likes to hear. Every show an in-person DJ does is completely new and is basically a shot from the hip situation. You can't prepare in advance for a room full of strangers. Sure, there are some songs that simply go along with every Wedding (for example) but, for the most part, an in-person DJ setting is a learning experience from the first song you play. The good DJ's will get the room moving early and keep it going (not due to alcohol intake), but the bad DJ's will see a fairly empty dance floor until everyone is drunk enough to not care.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information