Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Vet Service No Help In Saving Dog

Default Canadian Vet Service No Help In Saving Dog

now this is really sad. and could possibly have been prevented!

http://www.soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=25778

Default Re: Canadian Vet Service No Help In Saving Dog

I do wish a Canadian Vet were able to field this and try casting this garbage in a good light.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

I know its not only if you take your pet across the river. I took my cat to a vet to have her declawed, (to protect my grandkids, cause she is aggressive sometimes) and when it looked infected or wasn't heaing right, the vet refused to let me bring her in, just to be reassured that she was healing ok, and no other vet would see her locally, because they would not look at her since they were not the ones who declawed her.

what the heck, i just don't get it.

What an absolute waste. We deal with A Canadian Vet~ I hope it wasn't her! Do they not take an oathe like a medical doctor?

lol, elm6, i think their oath is to the money gods! sorry, being factitious when this is a very sad story. of all things for a little dog to get into, you think seeds would not be appealing. my little teddy died 2 years ago from eating really green concentrated compost and i really can feel for this family, we all thought and hoped teddy would pass through it too, but its so sad. probably the vet couldnt have done anyting lifesaving, but after being a client/patient for all those years they sure could have used some feedback and assistance from their vet in their time of need.

Whenever we need our vet.....he is always there.

Canadian Veterinary Oath:

As a member of the veterinary medical profession, I solemnly swear that I will use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society.
    I will strive to promote animal health and welfare, relieve animal suffering, protect the health of the public and environment, and advance comparative medical knowledge.
    I will practise my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics.
    I will strive continuously to improve my professional knowledge and competence and to maintain the highest professional and ethical standards for myself and the profession.

Did the owner and the first vet on call not realize that castor beans (the seeds) are poisonous, and that's what ricin is made from? Were I the owner, I'd have had my dog to the vet's office as soon as they opened. And the vet should have told them to do so, if there was nothing they could have given the dog at that point to help neutralize the poison. From the info available, sounds like all played a part. As soon as the dog was seen to be suffering a certain death they should have euthanized it to keep it from suffering.

Actually the Vet talked John out of bringing in the pet - saying it would cost a bundle to do so. I don't think John cared too much at that point, but the vet did say there was no real need to bring the pet in.

O.O

Great vet. Ridiculous.

i dont think there is any blame to lay in the dogs death. i think the point of the article was that these people had used a canadian vet all along and were regular clients and still did not get the service they needed.

also, after my dog was poisoned they also said there was nothing they could do, it would just have to run its course.

This should be in pets.

First off, It is really tragic that this happened. I feel sorry for the poor animal that suffered up until his death. I wish there had been another way for him to go.

I think maybe this article is biased though? I don't really see why 'canadian' vet needs to be posted in the headline. I think whichever vet answered the initial phone call wasn't any good. This article seems to be pointing that Canadian vets are terrible when really the initial vet was terrible.

I think the article is a bit opinionated in the worst way.

GRUMPY

why should it be in pets as there is everything under the sun in soap box?

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
    why should it be in pets as there is everything under the sun in soap box?

I was actually going to PM one of the mods about that. I just didn't cause like it would do anything anyway.

My vet is fantastic and fair. Decent rates and was always there when we needed him. To label all Canadian vets is very ignorant. Just because this particular STORY has something against Canadian vet's I don't think the good ones should go down like that.

I would like to submit a great story to soonews.ca about how great my vet is, and how fair priced he is and how great and knowledgeable his stuff is. Or are we just going by negativity sells?

Edited: To remove the site to the story.
    Last edited by 1337; 04-26-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Well that's pretty slanderous against soonews since I personally don't have "something" against Canadian Vets. This isn't the first time we've been contacted about the service of certain Canadian Vets, we didn't spin the story to be negative, we presented the facts of the story. We don't go out and look for negative stories on Canadian Vets. We present the news, that's all we do. I should also add that a story about good service is not news - that's what people expect from their vet - is good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Huckerby View Post
    Well that's pretty slanderous against soonews since I personally don't have "something" against Canadian Vets. This isn't the first time we've been contacted about the service of certain Canadian Vets, we didn't spin the story to be negative, we presented the facts of the story. We don't go out and look for negative stories on Canadian Vets. We present the news, that's all we do. I should also add that a story about good service is not news - that's what people expect from their vet - is good service.
    You personally don't have anything against Canadian vets but someone at Soonews does. It is more than obvious. I think the headline of the article should be changed. And I think the entire last paragraph of the article isn't necessary.

No changes will be made to the article. It is all factual. As for the person you are alluding to, she had nothing to do with this story and didn't even know the story was published until she saw it this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabby View Post
    I would like to submit a great story to soonews.ca about how great my vet is
    The majority of local people believe the vets south of the border are better,more knowledgable,offer quicker response and offer much better pricing. If that's not enough they'll take you on as a client full or part time at anytime regardless of who the regular vet is. If you have a story about a local vet who meets this criteria,I would like know who they are.
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Huckerby View Post
    Fair, and I edited.

If you do not list which vet's then you are leaving everyone to assume all vet's are like that, and to me that is slanderous against Canadian vet's.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information