Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A secluded place to camp and fish?

Default A secluded place to camp and fish?

We're finally getting an overhead camper for the truck and we would like to "escape" but not with everyone else. Can anyone suggest something within a couple of hours that has good fishing and a place to park. I'm taking the canoe and hoping we can get some peace and quiet and fish, even if catch and release.

I don't want to see everyone else which means I don't want a campground. (not because I'm cheap, but because I really need quiet and no stress)

I've got one week to plan so if anyone has suggestions, please.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Default Re: A secluded place to camp and fish?

the provincial parks

there are several single camp spots up the whitman damn road along the goulais river, that could be driven into. though i dont think youd use your canoe there. my friend and her hubby walk the goulais and then fish the holes when they find them, but i dont know how big the fish are that theycatch. its so pretty up there.

Great suggestion corky, can you be more specific as I've never camped at one before. If you could suggest where to start looking I'd appreciate it.
    Whenever we used to camp (many years ago) we would just drive until we found a place and we'd camp until we ran out of supplies. Things have changed a bit. Thanks kitca, we'll keep it in mind.

I wanted to go to the Mississagi last year but the logging roads got me lost for a few hours.....don't want a repeat performance.lol.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

oh ya, id love to try the mississagi area, it is so pretty, but ive never explored it, just seen it from the highway and wanted to.

there are areas along superior just off the highway that are also spectactular, but i dont know about the canoe and fishing for their either.

i dont know any inland lakes that you can get to with a truck and trailer and camp at that are sort of private.

oh, maybe the far end of robertson lake, you can drive into that pretty well, and theres a nice little camp spot there too, just have to make sure no one else is there

I found my maps and am wondering about Aubrey area in the provincial park. I'd rather not go quite that far. Another tempting option is Wakomata Lake off the 129. But I've never been to any of them so I guess I'm looking for a no-fail area, I know it's not that easy.

Trouble with the Mississagi river is that there are sudden changes in flow and I'd like to meander rather than having to paddle like a crazy fool to get back to camp.

I'm looking at every suggestion though!

Aubrey Falls... there is a spot that is down the highway from the campground and that's all it is, one spot. You have to walk down a sand hill to get to the beach part so I am not sure about a canoe, but if you do get it in the water, there is a secluded island in the middle of the water that you can go hang out on all by yaself. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Thank you BrAt, muchly appreciated. Looked good on a map but I think we'll drop that one especially if there may be a problem with a canoe.

Becoming a Regular Here

I've camped there many times. You can see the sand island from the highway when you cross the bridge over the river. That spot is very nice. Or if you don't want to waste an hour or two on the highway you could stop on the 129 Hwy at the tree farm called McCreights. It's about 5-10 min north of Thessalon and there are about three or four spots along the river that are never all used all the time. Great for speckled trout and brown trout and the road in was a government endeavour at one time so it is a 2 min. trip off the Hwy. on a well groomed path.

Becoming a Regular Here

McCreights is also perfect for a canoe. There is a town called Little Rapids 5 min. away and Wharncliffe aout 10 min north. If you need supplies like whiskey or something to help with the stress.

If you are willing to drive two hours, I recommend a drive North of Thessalon on Hwy. 129. It's aprox. 1 hour from the Soo to Thessalon and then another hour drive along 129 will bring you as far North as the Ranger Lake Road. Along the way, there are numerous spots along the Mississaugi River where you can park your truck/camper. Yes the river fluctuates, but, from my experiences - it's not that bad. Fishing can be excellent if you find the right location! A great place to look for on the map is Pig Pen Chutes on 129 near Lafoe.

You mentioned Wakami Prov. Park - I don't mind it there but it's a big lake for a canoe. But, if you are willing to drive the time and distance it takes to get to Wakami, then you should be willing to drive aprox. the same time and distance to Obatanga Provincial Park - 40 minutes North of Wawa. It will be perfect for your needs. It is never crowded and unlike Wakami - Obatanga has power if you want it for your camper. Plus the inland lakes are very favorable for canoeing. And when you are not canoeing - blueberries blueberries blueberries!

Kitca mentioned the Whitman Dam Road - there are some nice spots along the Goulais River if you drive up there and explore for areas not occupied. Another option, take the Ranger Lake Road and turn onto the Laughing Lake Road. You might find a spot on that road too but if you drive to the end, turn right and head to Tujack Lake, it is a very nice lake.

If you have any questions, pm me with your first name and phone number and I will give additional details.

I believe that this weekend we are off to Aubrey Falls. A friend of the hubbys told us where there is some good pickerel fishing and that was apparently enough.
    However, there are yet more weekends to camp and we intend on checking out these other places. Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I hope to be able to use them all.

let us know how it all goes, ok!

Loopy, I hope they didn't suggest camping in the gravel pit at Aubrey? I heard it's a zoo in there this year, with wall to wall campers.
    The pickerel have been slow up that way lately, with the warm weather. I think they've gone deep, so you've got to hunt to find them, anchor, and jig fish instead of trolling.

Thanks gouligann, nice to know.
    We didn't make it out this weekend, waiting for a mattress for the camper to come in, not to mention that the truck had to have a new steering box before it was safe to bounce around the dirt roads in.

But next weekend I'm going camping if it means sleeping in the van on the side of the road!

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

Primeau lake is nice and the Lake Trout fishing is excellent. Better then Aubrey Falls...its pretty packed there and the water is not very nice(reddish brown and leaches). Primeau lake is near Ophir and theres lots of nice places to camp it takes us about an 1hr and 15 min to get there pulling a boat and 4wheeler in the back of the truck. We are there right now but are moving our camper to a nicer secret spot where there is absolutely no one and bigger fish. The road into primeau is got some washboard spots and there is one steep hill but there are cars, campers, trucks and minivans that have all pulled in at some point. There is also smaller lil ponds for the kids to catfish, very nice area.

Thanks lizzardskills, I'll have to look for it on my map. Last time I toured Ophir I was probably intoxicated....many years ago.
    We've had to do some serious repairs so we still haven't made it anywhere, sucks to be me. The only good thing is that by the time we're ready, hubbys' truck will have lots of new parts.....springs, brake lines, steering box, shocks, etc.

(I should've rented a cabin [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] )

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information