Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MRI

Default MRI

I have to go for an MRI to check for cancer and I am wondering if any one can give me some info. I am very claustophobic and I am wondering if you are allowed to bring your own music or if they supply music to make things not so scary. I am so dreading all of this!!!

Default Re: MRI

im so sorry to hear of this. i dont know anything about the procedure, i just wanted to wish you well.

I don't know if they supply you with music, but I do know that you can take some Valium or Ativan to make you more relaxed while in there. I'd give the department a call and ask them these things, as it could be that your doc may have to be the one to prescribe the drug. I've never had one, but my mom did and said it is very loud.

Good luck, hoping nothing bad shows on it for you.

If your claustrophobic, you should call your doc or whoever scheduled you for the test. They will provide you with a prescription for atavian or something simular. When I had mine they gave me a choice of bringing my own CD or that they would provide a music list for you to choose from.

Its really not that bad, just close your eyes and listen to the music, and relax. I found the "bone scan" to be a worse test for me then the mri.

Good luck - and I too hope that the test results come back in your favour.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Thanks for the info.
    My Dr has requested that I be given ativan. I will ask them all the questions when they call me to tell me when I am scheduled. It was requested that it be done ASAP so hopefully I will have answers soon because this worrying is stressfull.
    I am hoping for the best but am prepared for the worst.

When they call you with the time for the MRI, it may be a good idea to make sure right there and then on the phone that they have a record that you are to receive the Ativan. Hope you don't have to wait long. I know my mom's important ones were always done pretty quickly, which is why the "no rush" ones take so long. Which is as it should be.

They don't usually call. There is a letter sent in the mail with the appointment on it.
    When I make up a lie and can not back out of it, I will just say I am leaving town for a funeral and that should cover up the lie.
    Self-laudation abounds among the unpolished; but nothing can stamp a person more sharply as ill-bred.

If you can't feed them, don't breed them!

Just got the call and I go in first thing monday morning. I will be given Ativan. I can bring my own music or they will provide it for me.

I received a call when I had to go for diagnostic purposes and a letter when it was a follow-up scan. For urgent scans they will call as soon as they have a cancellation or opening.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
    Just got the call and I go in first thing monday morning. I will be given Ativan. I can bring my own music or they will provide it for me.
    they are very nice, I am also extremely claustrophobic...you will also be handed a panic button...if you cant handle it just press it, 2 seconds they are right there. Just knowing your not stuck in there helps, its not that bad, mostly noisey...they also gave me a washcloth for over my eyes[helpful]. I hope all is o.k. with you and good luck with your MRI [seriously less stressful than bloodwork, its a breeze]
    Whimsical and Determined!

Everything went fine with the MRI. I opted not to take the ativan. They told me that my head would be out the other end a bit so i just tipped my head back and looked at the ceeling. When they put my through i closed my eyes as tight as i could. I almost panicked at first but then relaxed a bit. Results came back today and things look good and doesn't look like cancer. I am scheduled for surgery July 7th to remove the cysts and have biopsy.

Good for you!!! Great to hear that it looks good as well
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

very happy to hear all went well.
    Whimsical and Determined!

I wish I could have an mri. It would save alot of useless more invasive tests.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
    Results came back today and things look good and doesn't look like cancer.
    That's great! Must be a huge load off your mind.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information