Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dogs and Gardens (Poisonous Plants)

Hybrid View

Default Dogs and Gardens (Poisonous Plants)

So I am re-doing my back yard, as I'm sure you all know. Its a slow process considering I have no idea what I'm doing and my budget sucks. I've been looking up all the flowers and shrubs and whatnot that work well in this area and then remember I should look up what is toxic to dogs, since I have two.

I'm pretty discouraged. I feel like all the plants that I was planning on are the bad ones. Do dogs actually go out and eat them or is it more of a "Don't FEED this to your dog?" ... I know nobody will be able to answer this as every dog is different.

My dogs are never outside for long unattended... but it only takes a minute to eat a garden? Any advice or am I just crazy?

Default Re: Dogs and Gardens (Poisonous Plants)

I have many flower beds. shrubs. My dogs as far as I know only eat grass. They would rather dig the plants up than eat them.
    Just keep a eye on them.

Okay. When harley was a puppy he ripped the lilly of my sister's one lilly plant... (she wasn't impressed) but he didn't eat it. I could imagine them maybe eating berries but not flowers. I guess I'll make sure not to get anything commonly fatal and then keep a good watch. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Okay. When harley was a puppy he ripped the lilly of my sister's one lilly plant... (she wasn't impressed) but he didn't eat it. I could imagine them maybe eating berries but not flowers. I guess I'll make sure not to get anything commonly fatal and then keep a good watch. Thanks!
    http://www.petlibrary.co.uk/1/why-do-dogs-eat-grass/

Berries are sour..

none of my dogs have ever eaten the plants. one dog ate my strawberries out of the strawberry planter. my moms dog would dig up any flowering cabbage and bury it. they all eat grass occasionally. i dont know if you remember my posting 2 years ago about compost. my little guy got into the fresh spring really stinky compost and it poisoned him. i still compost, i would never stop, but i am aware of the potential.

one more thing, if you are on a budget wait just a little bit longer and everything will start going on sale. you can get it all half price.

Kitca, thanks for the advice about waiting. Someone else told me that today at school too. I guess I will start paying close attention to flyers and stuff. I don't think I'll be having any vegetables or berry-type plants OR compost due to the bears and stuff so I guess I'll just plant away and hope the dogs ignore it? I can't imagine them eating it anything but it freaked me out seeing the giant list of poisonous plants. When I looked it up I wasn't expecting THAT much.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information