Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electric heat VS space heaters

Default Electric heat VS space heaters

I am moving to a place that has electric heat, I have never had it before. Is it easier on PUC to get energy efficient space heaters or just to heat it via baseboards? I know stupid question lol
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

Default Re: Electric heat VS space heaters

I use energy efficient space heater in a room that I'm mostly in ...I believe it's cheaper

What about the rest of the rooms Macs

Quote Originally Posted by Super Gram View Post
    What about the rest of the rooms Macs

I use baseboard heaters but I keep them at lower temperature

So you don't find that the cost to run it during the winter months cost as much as just the baseboard heaters?
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

You can't heat a house with space heater but it can save you money .....just heat the room or area you're in

My main concern is the two kids rooms. I can put more clothes on and pull the blankets up. They are young enough they don't always do that. Thanks macs. Your a help.

if you can't afford to heat the place then find another place?
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    My main concern is the two kids rooms. I can put more clothes on and pull the blankets up. They are young enough they don't always do that. Thanks macs. Your a help.
    That's what we did ....space heaters in kids rooms and we turned rest of the house down ....that time we had gas heat ...but it works just the same with electric heat

I can afford to heat it. I would just rather pay less if I can. Ive just never had electric heat so Im trying to think of ways to cut costs. At this point my apartment has been inclusive so Im not used to having to be energy efficient and such.

With electric heat, all resistance (baseboard) heaters are basically 100% efficient, as all the energy used goes toward producing heat for the room. Because of this, there really is no such thing as an "energy efficient" electric heater (despite what some marketing gurus might tell you). The fan on a portable heater may circulate the heat better, but this is at the risk of the heater getting knocked over, or other fire hazards from faulty wiring. The easiest way to save money is just to turn down the heat in unused rooms and leave the heat at a comfortable level in the desired rooms.

As Macs said, on a house with a central temperature control (gas or even electric forced air), there would be an advantage to using a portable heater to heat just one room. With baseboard heat, a portable heater is a waste of money and an unnecessary risk.

portable heaters get really hot and like shaggy said they can be dangerous. i'd avoid putting them in a kids room. i do use one in my laundry room sometimes because it gets cold in there and the pipes freeze if it gets past -20 outside. i don't really find it all that energy efficient. as long as the place is insulated it shouldn't cost too much for heat. probably a good idea to get the plastic window wrap stuff though, and if the doors are drafty you can get a thing that slides onto the bottom of the door to keep cold out. i try to avoid putting heat on when winter starts up so the kids get used to having sweaters on. during that time i give them hot water bottles to sleep or snuggle if they get chilly. my house is really old though and doesn't really keep heat well so my bills are sky high. most places are not that bad.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

I'd use the baseboard heaters. Keep them on low during winter, otherwise you could get mold growing in the unheated rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggle Squirt View Post
    if you can't afford to heat the place then find another place?
    trying to be energy wise does not necessarily mean you cant afford it... Not a helpfull comment at all....

Thanks guys and gals a lot of useful information. My house as a looot of windows that I am going to need to but plastic on, and it is an older home. I really like the idea of not turning the heat on high once it gets cold and getting the kids used to it. Definitely been a help guys!

I have always used electric throw blankets and electric blankets. They use 2-5 watts of energy, compared to the 750-1000 watt baseboard heaters.

Ive always wondered about those. Do the make you too hot?

the one i have has several different settings so you just have to figure out what is comfortable for each one. it has an automatic shutoff if it gets too hot.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

We have electric throws and electric blankets, and keep the baseboard heaters at 45-50. Our Winter PUC bill is just around $200.

Well when I spoke to PUC they said with equal billing I can pay 160 all year round and be ok. So, Im not toooo worried about the cost in general, Im just looking for alternatives. I think I will try the electric blankets. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information