Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you believe this ??????? I CAN`T

Senior Member Luv to be on the GO's Avatar

Default Can you believe this ??????? I CAN`T

FYI ...Did you ladies know ....that a Masectomy is done as
    a "day Surgery "now ?????? Arrive at the hospital at 6 a.m.
    and home at 4 p.m. I find this very upsetting ........
    and of course this "person" got a terrible infection in the drainage tube
    These "cut-backs are getting to be just a bit TOO MUCH!!!
    Disgusting comes to mind .....Was anybody else aware of this ????

Default Re: Can you believe this ??????? I CAN`T

I didnt' realize that they did Mastectomy's on that basis. I know they do lumpectomy's and lymphnodes like that. My gf in Ottawa just had a lumpectomy and 17 lymphnodes removed. She was in for the day but released by 5:30 pm.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

That does seem weird that they released in the same day but it very well could have been a better option then being in the hallway of hte hospital for a week. The home care nurses should have showed her how to care for her drainage tubes properly.

Total mastectomy or a lumpectomy? Lumpectomy is definitely an in and out procedure, even down in Toronto...just had two online buds that had 'em. I've also had a family member have a huge chunk cut out (not breast), requiring a drainage tube, and that was day surgery, as well.

A total Masectomy is what our friend had ...
    in at 6 A.M. discharged at 4:00
    My goodness we have GREAT health care system !!! N....O....T...

I think it has less to do with hospital cuts, and more to do with it not being required for an extended stay. How many mothers give birth and go home later that day? I had an abcess drained on the Bartholins Gland and was released a couple of hours after the procedure, with an open wound for drainage. As long as you follow the directions given by the surgeon, you SHOULD not require any special care (unless provided to you by a nursing agency that comes into your home) The procedures are less invasive then they used to be.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

Well, considering the woman was able to HAVE a mastectomy, without cost out of pocket, home can be a good place to be, and our medical system is ok. I was one of those that wanted to be HOME within 20 minutes of delivering a baby, and they wouldn't let me go. Home is a good place, more relaxing for the patient, less contagious probably, too. If there's medical needed, ie. changing dressings, I'm sure homecare nurses would be there. It's not like removing an arm or leg...it is a mass of tissue. I'd sure rather be home than recovering in the hospital.

when I had a miscarriage in the hospital I was placed in the maternity ward. That was the most devastating thing to do, I would have rathered they sent me home. It made the heart ache so much more unbearable.

b&a Mom ....I sure do agree with you
    Home is the Best Place..... BUT .....
    not in this case ..our friend had
    5 Children to go home to.
    One was a new baby !!!

EI! That could be a challenge. I do understand what you are saying, but I think a lot of it is psychological (removing "a breast"). I was allowed to go home the second day after my first delivery, having had a c section. With my very first newborn. This wasn't here, it was in BC. I don't know this for certain, but I think that's a longer *physical* recovery than a mastectomy, since they make incisions through muscle and other tissues for a c section. I couldn't stand straight for almost a week, but had a newborn to nurse, bathe, etc. Maybe with a mastectomy it's physically a little easier, with a quicker recovery? Apparently I could have gone home after only ONE day, had I opted for the epidural instead of the general anesthesia I chose.

Did she tell the doc of her circumstances, and did she get homecare?

Quote Originally Posted by totallywicked View Post
    when I had a miscarriage in the hospital I was placed in the maternity ward. That was the most devastating thing to do, I would have rathered they sent me home. It made the heart ache so much more unbearable.
    With my miscarriage, they sent me home to have it. I wasn't very far along however. I think that I would have been devastated to be put in the mat ward. I had a hard enough time sitting in Emerge and seeing pregnant women coming in in labour.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information