Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fleas

Default Fleas

How the heck do I get rid of fleas? I cant get them out of my house The dog in the apartment above me brought them in
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

Default Re: Fleas

vacuum everything everyday and get a flea bomb
    treat your animals obviously if you have any

treat your dog with flea drops and the house with premis spray. vacume and throw out the dirt right away.
    you can get bug bombs stateside at walmart
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

The issue is....even after you get rid of them if the neighbor doesn't bother to treat her dog, you'll keep getting them back! *yuck*
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. *Dr Seuss*

Couple questions..Can I bring flea bomb back over? can we stay in the house? Will it get rid of the stuff that may not be in carpet? Say clothes, or floors etc?
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

Oh yea! their very effective, youll have to wash all your clothes but it'll pretty well kill everything off! I think you'll have to "smuggle" it so to speak.....good question>?
    You can't be in the house tho, all animals have to be removed too, their toxic.
    But again if the neighbor doesn't treat her dog it'll have been a waste
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. *Dr Seuss*

Haha wellllll I think I may be a wee bit too chicken poop to try and "smuggle" it over lol

It takes a lot of work and perseverence to get rid of fleas. Bottom line, you have to vacuum all fabrics, furniture, drapes that go to the floor, you have to vacuum the baseboards all around the house, and everything and everywhere that the animal goes to. There are sprays you can buy to spray couches and drapes and baseboards, but you shouldnt use them on beds or bed linen. And you should read the labels to make sure, for most sprays you need to leave the house for an hour or two. As far as the animals go, give them a flea bath, or pick up some flea treatment. My favorite is revolution. You have to get it from a vet. The reason its my favorite is that it not only kills fleas but it also gets rid of ear mites and worms in your pets. There is a pill you can give your pet that will kill any existing live fleas on your pet, and then the revolution can work to continue killing them as they hatch. There is a needle for fleas you can give your pet, and I would have loved that, however my cat was not able to tolerate the needles, so we stick to revolution. Pillows, kids stuff toys, big comforters, you can put in the dryer on hot for 20 minutes and it should kill the fleas. I am not one for smuggling either. lol good luck. oh, just another tidbit, animals can develop tapeworm from eating fleas or rodents. Revolution also kills tapeworm. Hopefully the information I have given is accurate, if not, I will learn from someone else on here, no doubt if I am mistaken. But goodluck. anyway

just been informed I am mistaken, revolution kills some different types of worms, but not tapeworm
    Last edited by lk_wicked; 09-23-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: correction

Seriously!!! So its kinda like lice? Nice. Not impressed! Buddy upstairs should come down and clean my damned house. Im moving, how long do fleas live?? I dont want to bring the buggers to my new house!

What about my clothes and my mattress??? OMG I feel sick....I dont wanna get in bed!

Look up on the internet how to use Borax to kill off fleas in your place. You have to sprinkle it all over work it into carpets let it sit and then vacuum.
    If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Haha wellllll I think I may be a wee bit too chicken poop to try and "smuggle" it over lol
    call the border office or whatever they're called and ask if it can be brougth across.

oh yeah, good luck with the pests!

Ya I have to go across tomorrow anyways so Ill ask then. Thanks guys

I have used Borax (bought at Walmart, Soo MIch in the laundry detergent area) It works great. Sprinkle it in your carpets. I even put it on our upholstered couch and vaccumed it off a couple days later with no problems.

Im still not having any luck Im moving anyways so Im just washing everything in hot water etc. Ill come back in and do a good cleanup once our stuff is out so that I can get all of the corners good. Im doing it to no avail though because of the darned dog in the apartment above me.

Its funny that someone else has issues with fleas. I have had 3 cats for the past 8 + years. My one cat is an outdoor cat not by my choice....but anyways I have never ever had a problem with fleas until now. I can't say it is a big problem. I first noticed the problem with my indoor cat. But she is more neurotic than the outdoor one, she was itching and scratching and pullin gout her hair, then I noticed a flea. SO I went out and bought flea shampoo, the ointment you put between their shoulder blades and this powder stuff like a deodoraizer but it kills fleas, ticks, larvae. So we did that today. We changed all the sheets and blankets on all the beds in hot hot water. I'm hoping that will do the trick. Also hoping that if we continue with the ointment stuff it will keep the buggers away. Found everything at walmart on the american side. Seems to be helping. I combed through the cats and see no further evidence of fleas.
    MagicFingers

Well, until this infestation I have never had fleas either. But as we were packing things I washed absolutely everything fabric, from our clothes to our sheets etc. dirty or not just to make sure the buggers didnt tag along. We moved into a place that has hard wood flooring so Im hoping we are done with them. Here's to hoping!

People over-react to fleas. They are just little critters that you have to deal with once in awhile. But you don't have to go crazy. I have several cats and a big dog. A few years ago, I took in a kitten and when I brought her to the vet for shots, the vet discovered some fleas on her belly. Now this is the important part - I got the good stuff from the vet (not the ineffective crap you get at the regular stores) - get REVOLUTION - drops between the shoulder blades. If I recall, it was $10 for one vial, and I got a vial for each of my own pets although none of the others seemed to have any fleas, but I wanted to be on the safe side just to make sure. I never used any bombs, etc, as the vet said one application of Revolution would kill everything within a day, and anything newly hatched for 30 days. He said vacuum lots for the next week, so every day I vacuumed, sometimes twice, and I washed the bedding, but mostly, I vacuumed and washed the flooring. That was over 2 years ago, and nothing has ever emerged since.

So do yourself a favour and get Revolution from the vet, as it also kills ticks, earmites, worms, etc. Don't waste your money on all this other stuff when you can do it simply by applying this stuff to the shouder blades.

I look at it this way, at least my house got thoroughly vacuumed daily for a few weeks. I also don't have lots of stuffed animals or fluffy stuff around, so I didn't need to wash that type of stuff. My couches are covered in fleecy throw blankets (easier to wash pet hair out of) so I tossed those in the wash of course. But I didn't find it too difficult to deal with. Some people just get grossed out about the whole idea of fleas.
    Last edited by SooPets; 09-06-2010 at 11:16 AM.

They are like lice. They are bugs that bite. They need not be in my home lol

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information