Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fleas

Default Re: Fleas

UGHHHH! I am sooooooo ticked off! They're here toooo! I am fed up! I cant get rid of them . At the point where as much as I love the cat Im going to call it quits. One more flea bite and Im going to lose my mind.
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

You can take your cat to the vet they can give you a pill for fleas and as soon as you give it to them the fleas basically fall off.
    MagicFingers

What about the ones in the house? That seems to be the problem
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

try sprinkling borax throughout the house let it sit for a few hours and then vaccum...you have to work it into carpets...
    If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail.

I think Ill try the borax thing. What about clothes and towels and things like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    They are like lice. They are bugs that bite. They need not be in my home lol
    No kidding. I can't understand people who don't treat lice.

There are people who do not treat lice......gross

We've had fleas in our house (lots of work but got rid of them), never had lice and I hope to gawd we never have bed bugs. They are virtually impossible to get rid of according to a talk show on the radio that I heard. You can bring them home from holidays (from motels) in your suitcase, get them off seats at the cinema, and they can move from house to house with you even on wood furniture. Ikky!

Ugh Gouligann..thanks for that thought! haha. But, broke down and got my kitter cat an appointment for Friday. Furry little guy is expensive! 70 bucks just for his flea treatment, on top of his shots and his neutering...geez. Oh well, worth it in the end!

Dragon fly, there is a spray you get at walmart, you have to ask for it in the pharmacy, its made expecially for lice, but kills fleas also,

Myself, highly allergic to a flea bite and have always had pets.. We had to move cause of a flea problem yrs ago just like you are saying from a neighbours animal who housed in the same building as us..

the spray is about 9 dollars a can, is very strong.. but works.. as for the name of it off the top of my head im not sure.. its usually a green and white can, its behind the till in the pharmacy... just say its used to treat lice etc, they will know.. dr recommended it to me, as like I said I get a flea bite and I swell up like a balloon.

I am happy to learn someone else is alergic to fleas. Out at camp one yr. our dog got fleas. We didn't know it until I started to scatch. Had 46 bites and hubby had none.I almost went crazy. Daughter and son in law went to the vet got something......sprayed and all gone. Took said dog to vet got those pills. One every monthy.....fleas all gone

Well he just gave us a prescription for advantage. But late august we sprayed him with Zodiac flee spray and he got really sick. Walked funny, wouldn't eat or move. He eventually got better and no vet trip was needed. The vet said he has many many cats in a month in critical condition because of Zodiac spray. I wont use anything not prescribed by the vet now. Which sucks, because now Im afraid to use anything on my fur baby The vet said in about FOUR MONTHS my flee problem should be gone...yay..

Dragon fly the stuff i speek of is for humans.. to spray on furniture ect corners.. You must vacate the room for a hr or to.. its also used to treat a house after its been in contact with head lice... like I said it works and you must ask the pharmacist for it... but its to spray your furniture not to spray the pets or yourself..

Super gram.. When I get bit.. it get bit usually all the same spot about 50 little dots then it swells around them.. and itches well.. CRAZY... its not a deathly allergic reaction but its not nice either..

Quote Originally Posted by icecapp View Post
    Dragon fly the stuff i speek of is for humans.. to spray on furniture ect corners.. You must vacate the room for a hr or to.. its also used to treat a house after its been in contact with head lice... like I said it works and you must ask the pharmacist for it... but its to spray your furniture not to spray the pets or yourself..

Super gram.. When I get bit.. it get bit usually all the same spot about 50 little dots then it swells around them.. and itches well.. CRAZY... its not a deathly allergic reaction but its not nice either..
    Hmm, I think I'll try that, thanks!

The three steps to effective flea management are

1) Treatment of infested pets.
    Since most flea problems originate from an infested cat or dog, elimination of fleas from the pets is the first and most important step. Insecticides approved for direct application to pets as spot treatments, dips, dusts, sprays, or shampoos are available at most pet stores but veterinarians will almost always provide a product that will include a growth regulator.

2) Vacuuming and cleaning of infested premises.
    Once the pet has been treated, efforts should then focus on the indoor premises. Particular attention should be paid to areas of the home where the pet sleeps or spends the majority of its time. Blankets or rugs that may be used as pet bedding should be discarded or laundered in hot, soapy water. All carpeted areas and upholstered furniture should be thoroughly vacuumed and the sweeper bag contents discarded. If the flea infestation is light, frequent and thorough vacuuming may reduce the problem.

3) Spraying or dusting infested premises.
    Moderate to heavy infestations will usually necessitate the application of a residual insecticide to carpets, baseboards, cracks and crevices, and other areas where fleas may be present. Good results can be achieved using products that contain a contact insecticide along with an insect growth regulator applied according to directions in all rooms in the home.. Spray treatment should be performed by a professional pest control operator. Because they guarantee their work it will likely cost less than attempting to do it yourself and having to repeat the process. A well trained professional will use the least amount of pesticide to give effective control. Flea traps using light bulbs and sticky paper do capture some fleas but they are not an effective solution to eliminate an infestation.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

Just to add to your post Joy. I think in this day and age most of us have vacuums that are bagless and we need to remember to either spray the discarded dirt or bag it and toss it out quickly.

I was recently told by the woman we just bought a house from (but aren't in yet) that her dogs have fleas.........
    We are going to be using a sulphur bomb to fumigate prior to moving in as well as making sure our dogs have their Advantage on. You can't buy the old fashioned sulphur bombs or candles anymore and you need a prescription to get the stuff but there is an alternative product that we are using in it's place. You do have to stay out of your house for about 24 hours then wash everything when you go back in (after 12 hours ventilation).

We haven't had fleas for years and were dreading this happening so I was prepared just in case.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

My friend uses HOme Defence, it will kill the fleas, and she sprays it on furniture, baseboards, and favorite spots her cats hang out in. Works great. I am going to buy some. Revolution is the best flea product for pets, hands down. Because it protections them from a lot more then just fleas. It is $22.00 a tube for each animal. I usually buy enough for 2-3 months for my cat. And do the house once over when I first see the fleas. The home defence spray can be bought at walmart or canadian tire on this side. And the spray works for about 7 months.

My cat does not have fleas right now, but once a year, I think I will spray the house as a preventative measure. And I buy revolution every september and every late April as flea season is most commonly in spring and in fall.

I have had my cat for 7 years and have only had flea issues on 3 different occasions. That was before I started my "routine". I haven't really had issues since.

It is not so overwhelming dragonfly, when you get with the maintenance program, that works for you. Capstar is the name of the pill that kills fleas dead on your cat or pet immediately. I used capstar, then revolution. My cat is relieved immediately and protected for 30 days after you apply the revolution.
    Vets do have injections for fleas that last six months. Just another alternative.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information