Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help (have a infected wisdom tooth causing extreme pain.)

Default Need help (have a infected wisdom tooth causing extreme pain.)

I have a wisdom tooth that is being a pain in my butt. I went to the walk in clinic today and was told by the doctor no matter what is my financial situation I am in I need of a dentist to remove them.. This is not really an option for me. I work for minimum wage and have rent and food as a priority at the moment.... I was wondering if anyone knew of any organizations in town that might help or maybe a dentist that allows payments to be made... The clinic put me on antibiotics and pain management pills but these will run out and not solve my problem... I have no dental plans and I am 20 years old and no longer covered by my parents. I called the dentists and just too look at them its $200. Thanks any input is well appreciated.

Default Re: Need help (have a infected wisdom tooth causing extreme pain.)

check with the Algoma Health unit,,, i know they use to offer dental ,,, they might be able to help. good luck!

Dr. Wong allowed me to make payments. Unfortunately you as a member of the working poor in our wonderful society puts you in a very unfair predicament. You earn a living, so you pay taxes that fund these forms of assistance, yet because you have an income, you are not eligible to use any of them, and don't make enough money to pay for them. I feel your pain, I really do. Try contacting OW, they may be able to help as well depending on your income. If there is just one or two, or they are easy to remove a regular dentist may be able to do them as well. Do you have a dentist?
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Try Community Assistance Trust through the United Way. It is my understanding that they may be able to help you out with an emergency situation like that. And it most certainly is an emergency. I had only one wisdom tooth, it was impacted and very painful. I had to wait two months to see my dental surgeon at the time and it was horrible!
    Here is the website with information about Community Assistance Trust:

http://www.ssmunitedway.ca/CAT/index.html
    "One of the consequences of such notions as 'entitlements' is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence".

Thomas Sewell

I was told that if you went to the ER, and saw a dentist as they have to call one in or send you to there office for emergancys that it was covered under ohip.. PROVIDING ITS A SEVERE EMERGANCY, which that sounds like it is.....

I just had mine done 6 months ago tommorrow by Dr wong, he wanted payment up front... for one upper, one lower, and the other, dentist pulled in his office.. i was only every blessed with 3 not 4.... Thank god... I just happened I was looking though paper work and it was 1015, for 2 teeth... but i have coverage and got a percentage back.. but payment had to be made in full upfront day of surgury....

Last summer I was in severe pain with my teeth, so I went to the walk-in clinic where they said I had gingivitus, and they gave me some pills for the pain....these pills were good as they took the pain away BUT they gave me a severe side effect (which Im not saying what it was on here)...

And then in December the same thing happened again!

So I finally went to see Dr.Wong but Im waiting for a call for day surgery to get my teeth pulled which I was told that it would be approx. 4-5 months at the least...but it could be 8-10 months possibly!! Ive got to get 6 teeth pulled altogether

So in the meantime what am I supposed to do; keep going back to the walk-in clinic everytime Im in pain and get that stupid medication which helps but gives me a severe side effect?
    This truly sucks!!!!

And then on another note....I don't have any coverage so does anyone know what it costs for partials?
    Im going to need them for the 4 bottom teeth at the front.....their being yanked as well as 2 wisdom teeth....

Hire someone to punch you in the face LOL then go to emerg and most of it shoudl then be covered. Just kidding but unfortunate how our system works.
    MagicFingers

I got a bridge done when I cracked a tooth and it had to be pulled and replaced - cost was $3000 and I didn't have coverage. I also didn't want a space showing when I smiled so I bit the bullit and had it done. Glad I did as one would never know I had work done. The dentist also allowed me to pay installments but I did have to pay half up front. I got a part time job to pay for it!!!!!!!!(I am retired)

My son just had two of his molars pulled and two wisdom teeth - on Dec 29th. He'd found himself in a simular situation - started to abcess. HE was in such pain that the dentist gave him an antiboitic and T-3's before he ever had his surgery.

We went to DR. Grodecki - I think thats how you spell his name - it cost us $1410 for the extraction. Same thing with him as Dr. Wong, payment up front. He has full coverage through his plan but we had to pay up front and submit the bills.

He had his consultation for only $40, not $200. Dr. Grodecki is also an Oral Surgeon - he was put out just like he would have been at Wongs.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Quote Originally Posted by MaO3 View Post
    My son just had two of his molars pulled and two wisdom teeth - on Dec 29th. He'd found himself in a simular situation - started to abcess. HE was in such pain that the dentist gave him an antiboitic and T-3's before he ever had his surgery.

We went to DR. Grodecki - I think thats how you spell his name - it cost us $1410 for the extraction. Same thing with him as Dr. Wong, payment up front. He has full coverage through his plan but we had to pay up front and submit the bills.

He had his consultation for only $40, not $200. Dr. Grodecki is also an Oral Surgeon - he was put out just like he would have been at Wongs.
    Dr. Gordecki is the one who will be doing my surgery next week. I have heard good things about him thank god. Im not looking forward to it at all

He was really good with my son.. He had an issue about a week after his surgery, called the office at 8:30 am, was in to see him by 11:00 - he had to go three days in a row to have the sites packed, once the packing was put in his pain was gone. He healed really well after that.

Follow the instructions, get yourself a couple of "gel pack" freezer packs and use them like they tell you. He hardly swelled and only had faint yellow bruising when it was all over.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

My sister in law contacted Algoma Public Health and they pointed her to the direction of a dentist that may take payments
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

And what was this Dentists name Joy?! Can you PM the name to me....
    Thanks

Im in pain once again, and still havent heard anything back about when my surgery is So Im going to be heading up to the walk-in clinic once again; and the thing is once Ive taken the antibiotics for a little while they'll have to try a different one because my body will become immune to these ones....

I HATE the pain

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information