Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help...Binary File??

Default Help...Binary File??

So when I download things for on my computer it downloads as a Binary File.
    How do I install it on my computer after that? I go to where its saved and then go to install it and it won't...

So if anyone can help me that be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Help...Binary File??

I'm guessing you are referring to *.BIN files and not "binary" as opposed to ASCII. "Binary" files don't necessarily have the .BIN extension. They usually do but not all the time. BIN files are binary copies of CD/DVD image formats.

You need a virtual drive to run the files (Power ISO) or burn the image to a disc. I personally run virtual drives for this particular need. Virtual drives eliminate the need to burn the image to a disc.

"Power ISO" or "Daemon Tools" are two applications that can run virtual drives. You can use something like NERO to burn the image to disc and then execute the install from the newly created disc if you don't want to go the virtual route.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/696/h...cue_iso_files/
    Last edited by Scoff; 10-05-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Well I tried to Download Frostwire because our Limewire stopped working for some reason.
    And when it downloaded it did say binary file....I'll post here exactly what it says ok....

Its Frostwire version 4.21.1

When I click on the download button a box comes up and this is what it says...

You have chosen to open
    frostwire-4.21.1 windows.exe.
    which is a Binary File from
    http://newyork1.frostwire.com
    Would you like to save this file?

http://newyork1.frostwire.com/frostwire/4.21.1/

It's an exe (self executable) so there shouldn't be a problem, I downloaded and it went to install with no issue.

When you say "it won't install" what is it telling you after you try to execute the file? (try to install it)

I want to point out that if you don't know the origin of the file you might want to think twice before running it. This is typically how viruses wreck a pc...
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB, Corsair M4 256 GB, 2 x ASUS R9 270X DC2, 2 x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

I click on the one thing and it tells me its not a Valid Win 32 application

And when I click on the other one it brings up a page where it asks me will open it and it says media player...so when I click on it it brings up an empty page then...

oh and it says its a PART FILE

Can you find the proper Frostwire link for me so I can put it on my computer please and thank you?!!

http://newyork1.frostwire.com/frostw....1.windows.exe

That will download the file. (Right click and "Save Link As" (Firefox) or "Save As" (IE).

The .PART is telling you that the file never completely downloaded and that's why you're having a problem executing it. (it's only PART of the complete file)

The file size is 7.831 Meg (listed as 7.6) ... if the file is not at least 7.6 Mb or you still see ".PART" then it didn't complete. Ensure it's the complete file.
    Last edited by Scoff; 10-06-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Tried doing what you said to do and it still didnt work for me

Senior Member Nihilistic Heathen's Avatar

What browser are you using? You could try deleting your cache or try a different browser.
    One can be a true believer in anything: psychic ability, Christianity or, as Bertrand Russell classically suggested (with irony), in the fact there is a teapot orbiting the earth. I could believe any of those things with total conviction. But my conviction doesn't make them true. Indeed, it is something of an insult to the very truth I might hold dear to say that something is true just because I believe it is. ~Derren Brown

I use Mozilla Firefox.
    And Ive already deleted cache etc

I even tried using Internet Explorer and it still won't work

I STILL NEED HELP.....Can someone send me a link so I can download Frostwire please and thanks

A complete link not a part

http://www.frostwire.com/

try this link..
    Dale Earnhardt Sr...is the No 1 Driver in Nascar History..

hey puppy thats the same link Id tried originally and it ends up being a PART FILE that I can't access...

So does anyone know WHY this is happening? A friend of mine downloaded the exact same link above and had no problems putting it on her computer!!

HELP!!!! lol....I need to download music and Im NOT using anything but this or Limewire as the other stuff I can't figure out...lol..

Forgive me, I'm not sure I want to get into telling people how to download a file.

As for why it is happening:

I will say that maybe your Internet connection may be dropping (intermittently) and it's interrupting the file download. If mozilla is telling you it's "PART" of the file see if you can resume under the downloads list. Mozilla allows you to pause, stop and restart your download so check that download window to make sure it's telling you it completed the download. (Tools --> Downloads)

If an IE download is interrupted PART way through it will just crap out and won't run/execute/work etc ... no option to resume I believe. Not like Firefox.

I gave you the URL for download in an above post, it works ... it went to install but I canceled because I'm not putting P2P download apps on any machine of mine.

Make sure no other applications that access the internet are open, let your download have all the bandwidth available to you.

Also, if you want to just listen to a song and not use Torrents to download full albums might I suggest the following site:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information