Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: christmas cookie exchange?! Anyone interested this year? Here's some hints.

Default christmas cookie exchange?! Anyone interested this year? Here's some hints.

Cookie Exchange Party
    Do you love setting the table with a huge assortment of cookies but can't stand the thought of spending several days baking? Then a cookie exchange party is the perfect party for you!

Related Links
    •Christmas Cookie Recipes
    •Decorating Cookies
    •Christmas Food Gifts
    •Mailing Christmas Cookies
    •More Christmas Fun
    It's simple to organize and throw your own party--we'll walk you through it. Check out our tips to make the party extra-special, and browse our Christmas cookie recipes from around the world.

The Basics

Ask each guest to bring a big batch of cookies: estimate 1 dozen multiplied by the total number of guests. Provide guidelines to each baker so that you get a good cookie assortment: rolled cookies, bar cookies, drop cookies, decorated cookies. Your friends may have family recipes they wish to share.

Each guest should also bring copies of their cookie recipe and containers to take cookies home. Heavy duty plastic freezer bags will work for sturdy cookies, but decorated cookies and more delicate shapes should be packaged in tins or sealable plastic containers. Provide waxed paper or parchment for separating layers of cookies.

•How to Host a Cookie Exchange Party

Party Nibbles

You may want to sample the cookies you're swapping, or you can stay away from sweet treats and set out an array of savory snacks. Coffee, hot cider or punch are always good choices for a cookie exchange party.

•Brewing Coffee
    •Mulled Wine & Cider
    •Spiced Nuts
    •Dips & Spreads

Variety is the Spice of Life

To make your Cookie Exchange Party extra-special.

1. Extend Your Circle of Sharing

Have guests to bring an unopened package of store-bought cookies or canned food. You can then collect the packaged food and bring them to a homeless shelter or food pantry.

2. Share Cookie Stories

During the actual cookie-swap segment of the party, tell stories. It could be a story about the cookie's origin, where the cook learned the recipe, or just holiday baking memories.

3. Create Cookie Recipe Booklets

Ask your guests to mail (or e-mail) their cookie recipes to you, or collect the recipes on the day of the party. Assemble a booklet of recipes for everyone to take home with them.
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

Default Re: christmas cookie exchange?! Anyone interested this year? Here's some hints.

I hosted the soonet cookie exchange a couple years ago....I still have all the recipes that we shared that time. Everyone was asked to put the recipe on each of the packages that they brought. It turned out really nice. There were a lot of people here and it turned out great for christmas. Of course there were a few things I still needed to make as christmas is just not the same without them. But took a load of work off that is for sure.
    MagicFingers

Default Re: christmas cookie exchange?! Anyone interested this year? Here's some hints.

I would be interested if someone is going to organize a exchange this year.

I had one in 2005 I think...it was one of the first ones and it was awesome!! I loved exchanging cookies.

I was also the one that had the very first Clothes Swap Exchange in 2005....

They are both great ideas as you meet alot of AWESOME people!!

Depending on when it is and the time Id be interested in going to one...Maybe even hosting one (possibly), depends how many people etc and also like I said the day and time

thanks Candy its still early to pick a date we need to see how many interested people there are? Last year we had I think about 12 people to attend but only 6 showed which is hard when you make the time to make 12 doz and then your stuck with your same stuff plus only a few extra dozen from the ones that showed. This year if you say your going to participate but can't make it get ahold of someone that is and make arrangements for your cookies to get to the exchange and then that person can make sure your cookies get to you.
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

The year I hosted we had 15 people participate and I think 13 showed but there were arrangements made to drop off and pick up the exchanges. It all worked otu really well. Most people came with their significant other and some brought their children. I had quite a few people here....it was nice.
    MagicFingers

was that one on wawanosh? I've went to most and the busiest was that one that I remember.

Krysta, westend mama, tasma, candy 74, magicfingers?

I hosted last year and we only had one person that did not show up. I would like to participate as long as we do it at the start of December again, that worked best for me last year because then i had treats to put out to all my holiday visitors starting mid December on.

I would also be willing to host at my house again this year.

Do you make as many dozen as how many are expected to show up?
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

If there are 12 people in the exchange and you are one of the 12 you make 11 dozen cookies (unless you want a dozen for ourself)

Thanks ssmarie
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

Yes the one i hosted was on wawanosh It was busy LOL

I would like to join in on this if there is still room.
    MagicFingers

Just so people know I can't do dec 10 or 18th other than that I am good with whatever....if you pick one of those dates I will make sure that the cookies are delivered and mine are picked up...
    MagicFingers

I would like to do it early like chase me said so we can use them to put out for guests. 4 or 5th dec or 11 or 12 dec? any one of those days good so far?

Im good for all those days. which ever works best for you guys!
    MagicFingers

you can count me in..we have went the last 4 years....and I must say each one has been really good...the cookies are delicious and its really nice to meet and put faces to names on here. Thanks...

I already know what I am making....hehehehe and they are ohhhhhh so good. I still have all the recipes from the one we did a couple years ago at my house. I made the layer bars last year for christmas and they were awsome so thanks to whoever made them and gave them to me.
    MagicFingers

ok so do we have an actual list of participants? I did not see one so I will add one here

Chase_me - Molten-Middle Truffle Cookies
    MagicFinger
    T_Wolfe
    Westend Mama
    Tasma
    Candy_74

If you are not on the list please copy the list and add yourself in a new post. If you are on the list but do not plan to attend please let us know and I can remove you.

I am willing to host it at my house again this year if no one else minds. The 11th of Dec works the best for me because I am not working that day but I can make arrangements to go in late on the 4th if necessary.

If you want to participate and know what you are going to make please post it here so that we can put it with your name and no one else makes it.

Is there a certain number we want to cut off at? 12 people? I think we always did 12 in the past just to prevent too much baking etc.
    Last edited by chase_me; 10-24-2010 at 12:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information