Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GM ABS Design

Default GM ABS Design

I'm getting an intermittent " service abs system and traction control" warning light. After some Google and Youtube research, I've discovered a few things. It could be a dirty or loose sensor connector ( best case scenario ), a bad connector cable ( next best scenario), or a defective sensor. This is where it gets good. Apparently on many other makes of vehicle, you can replace a sensor rather easily. It just bolts into the wheel assembly. however, some genius engineer at GM decided to build their sensor into the front bearing hub. Guess what - you have to replace the whole thing to fix a defective sensor problem. Anyway, since I can cause the warning light to come on by just wiggling the connector cable, I'm pretty sure I can fix this myself without too much expense, but it just seems like a non-essential cash grab by GM for what should be a simple fix.

Ok - vent over.

Default Re: GM ABS Design

Another common GM problem is the ABS motor located in the centre of your vehicle. It seems the wires are delicate and exposed, great combination for our climate, yes? Thats what is fubared in my 00 Sierra.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

GM needed alternative methods for revenue. I'm not surprised to hear of engineering failures by GM. It would appear that after the backruptcy, they came up with a new advertising campaign. "The New General Motors" I wonder what actually changed in regards to quality, service or products?
    Fact always trumps opinion.

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

I've got an 01 Chev 4x4 pickup with the same problem.
    I run with the ABS light on as I don't like the way it reacts when driving slow.
    It has pushed back on the pedal in a parking lot, perventing me from a quick stop at a slow speed.
    The truck stops just fine without it. I thoroughly inspected the entire system...got a good bleed with a firm pedal and left it.
    I am able to deal with slippery conditions just fine, so I said screw it.
    The fact that the light is on does not prevent the brakes from operating as if they were a conventional set up!
    With a new vehicle I not so sure about the particulars, but for my 01 it's a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JackButler View Post
    I've got an 01 Chev 4x4 pickup with the same problem.
    I run with the ABS light on as I don't like the way it reacts when driving slow.
    It has pushed back on the pedal in a parking lot, perventing me from a quick stop at a slow speed.
    The truck stops just fine without it. I thoroughly inspected the entire system...got a good bleed with a firm pedal and left it.
    I am able to deal with slippery conditions just fine, so I said screw it.
    The fact that the light is on does not prevent the brakes from operating as if they were a conventional set up!
    With a new vehicle I not so sure about the particulars, but for my 01 it's a non-issue.
    One very little fact alot of people dont realize is that one bad sensor can actually(in rare cases) render your entire brake system useless. The bad sensor will send a jumbled signal to your car which will activate the abs on all 4 wheels. It doesny happen very often but I have had it happen to myself and narrowly avoided an accident and I know others who had the same problem but unfortunately they didnt stop in time.
    It's a Ford thing, you wouldn't understand.

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

That sounds like what happened to me, with system that was supposed to operating properly!

Quote Originally Posted by ByrdDawg View Post
    I'm getting an intermittent " service abs system and traction control" warning light. After some Google and Youtube research, I've discovered a few things. It could be a dirty or loose sensor connector ( best case scenario ), a bad connector cable ( next best scenario), or a defective sensor. This is where it gets good. Apparently on many other makes of vehicle, you can replace a sensor rather easily. It just bolts into the wheel assembly. however, some genius engineer at GM decided to build their sensor into the front bearing hub. Guess what - you have to replace the whole thing to fix a defective sensor problem. Anyway, since I can cause the warning light to come on by just wiggling the connector cable, I'm pretty sure I can fix this myself without too much expense, but it just seems like a non-essential cash grab by GM for what should be a simple fix.

Ok - vent over.
    Don't worry, you'll have to change the bearing / wheel assembly soon anyway. The only concern then is to make sure you get the right connector for the ABS sensor, they changed from year to year but the assemly is the same.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information