Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IPS Testing

Default IPS Testing

Anyone have any thoughts concerning this?

My husband and I are not really on the same page, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions.

For anyone who is not sure what it is, follow this link.

http://midwivesofalgoma.ca/index.cfm...=9&pageid=1011
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

Default Re: IPS Testing

I had all the testing done.Being over 35 made me do it, However you can be any age to have a problem.

i skipped those tests. i figured that no matter what, i would get the baby that was meant for me and if there were health problems i'd still be able to love them just as much and be there as needed. i didn't want to know if there was something wrong because i didn't want that stress on me while i was pregnant and then have to go through deciding to keep the baby which i probably would have done since i loved them all so much already by 16 weeks. it's a personal choice though. some people know they can't handle having a baby that isn't 'perfect' or will cause complications in their lives and for them it's important to know so they can do what they have to do.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

See, I kinda agree with you Krissy. I wouldn't abort no matter what, so to me having the stress of a possible positive result isn't worth it, IMO.

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

i think it depends on what you can handle yourself. and i also think there are enough suprizes once the baby comes that the more you can find our before to prepare the better.

In my opinion (and it is just MY opinion) anyone who is not willing to care for a child with challenges or deal with 'complications' in their life should not have children at all. You have no way of knowing whether your otherwise healthy baby will end up being disabled later in life or have mental/behavioural issues later on in life. Parents should be prepared for all eventualities.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

I believe that all of that testing is not really necessary. I was always told that if my ultrasounds showed anything "unusual" then the doctors would run additional tests and that was only necessary in one of my five full-term pregnancies. The doctors thought I should abort and I refused. That daughter turned out to be normal, other than not having sufficient growth hormones.

I would say that a woman under 40, who has not had any unusual ultrasound results should not really need those tests. That's what many professionals will say as well.
    "One of the consequences of such notions as 'entitlements' is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence".

Thomas Sewell

we selected not to have to the tests. our thinking at the time was that since we didn't believe in abortion, what was the point. As I have gotten older though, my thinking has changed, in such I may now select to have the testing, so that I would be more prepared as to what to expect come birth (I of course still not abort). But again, we are not having any more babies (boo hoo)

Lynus.....I dying here........are you preggers?

Hehe... I'll never tell. Well, maybe in 7 months. :P

congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Tutones View Post
    In my opinion (and it is just MY opinion) anyone who is not willing to care for a child with challenges or deal with 'complications' in their life should not have children at all. You have no way of knowing whether your otherwise healthy baby will end up being disabled later in life or have mental/behavioural issues later on in life. Parents should be prepared for all eventualities.
    A willingness or desire to test, though, doesn't mean a parent is not willing to parent a child with complications. It could be a planning issue. I know if I was to have my kids when older, I would test. I would want to know if I was going to require beyond the normal expenses, knowledge or assistance, required for a child, so I could plan and prepare.

we got the testing done so we could plan ahead if we needed to or if there was something wrong then we could possibly do something to help it or fix it? My second pregnancy i got a false positive for downs, decided to go ahead with further testing and it came back negative. i wouldn't of done it any other way and plus i kinda used the testing for the ultrasounds so i could see the little peanut.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

Well, I have my dating scan next Friday, so that should get me a look at something, and make sure everything is okay. I am paranoid after my miscarriage last March that something will go wrong.

Oh, and if any one recalls, I posted about it nearly two years ago, but I had another Bartholin's cyst form... luckily, I broke it, but still took a trip to the hospital to make sure any infection that may have resulted from it wouldn't hurt the baby. Left me with a big bleed last night (I am assuming from the cyst), which has me more paranoid now, but I know I am one week away from that scan... and really, if anything goes wrong, nothing I do at this point (9 weeks) will prevent it.

Well, after meeting my midwife for the first time yesterday, I decided to go ahead with the screening, mainly because it is only a bloodtest and an ultrasound... the ultrasound which affords me another look at my baby.

If anything comes of it, I will not do the amnio, because it is very risky... even my husband understands that.

So, my screening is on Tuesday. I did however get to hear the heartbeat yesterday at the office, and that was incredible!

Isn't that the greatest sound in the world?? I still remember it the first time....I cried!! Sounds like things are going well for you lynys!! Very exciting!!

enjoy your little peek into the baby's world. i miss being pregnant too, it is exciting. no more kids here though, got more than enough already.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

It was awesome!

So, I ended up with three ultrasounds this week, as I am having some spotting issues. I have been put on bedrest, which friggin sucks. At the IPS ultrasound, I was given pictures, which was awesome. Baby wouldn't move though for that one and the tech was not too pleased. lol However, for the other ones, while they were checking to make sure baby is fine, baby wouldn't stay still for them, making it difficult from them to do the measurements they needed. hehe

But, aside from the aches in my back, hips and legs right now, I feel great. I am past the fatigue phase of pregnancy... which actually sucks cause now I am lying here with nothing to do but watch movies or surf the web.

yeah, bedrest is not the most fun. i was on bedrest for a big part of my pregnancy for my 4yo. apparently i didn't have enough blood for both of us so whenever i tried to do stuff i'd feel really sick and dizzy. i was at least tired though but got really restless. enjoy being able to lay down and relax while you can. (: (i know you probably heard that already to the point it's getting annoying, sorry.)

It has been hell!

The spotting seemed to have stopped, until today. I am not convinced it is coming from my cervix though. I had a little bit there, and it seems fresh, normal cervical mucous behind it. There have been two incidents of it today, which has me wondering if it in fact maybe coming from somewhere else. (maybe an abrasion or something nearer my *****)

I know it is tmi, but it is one of those hells we get to deal with. lol

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information