Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is OHIP still paying for Weight loss surgery outside Canada

Post Is OHIP still paying for Weight loss surgery outside Canada

I have heard that OHIP is no longer paying for weightloss surgeries outside Canada. I am trying to find out if this is true. OHIP's website states that there are several places that a person can be approved to have the surgery in the USA including at Munsion. I know they are no longer covering the MGB in Las Vegas or Florida (which would be my preference).

Any help/info would be much appreciated

Default Re: Is OHIP still paying for Weight loss surgery outside Canada

If your immediate health and life is at risk, they will approve the surgery (MGB or Rn/y) in extreme circumstances. You will have to jump through many hoops, but it is always worth a try. Good luck.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

Quote Originally Posted by The Handyman View Post
    If your immediate health and life is at risk, they will approve the surgery (MGB or Rn/y) in extreme circumstances. You will have to jump through many hoops, but it is always worth a try. Good luck.
    thanks for the reply

do you happen to know what qualifies as "immediate health and life risk"?

Quote Originally Posted by lilmonkeygirl View Post
    thanks for the reply

do you happen to know what qualifies as "immediate health and life risk"?
    To qualify for the surgery, you generally have to have a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 40 or higher. If you have a co-morbidity or two, the BMI only need be 30. It is the co-morbidity that creates the health risk. These can include; high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, liver disease, and diabetes. There are, of course others.

OHIP has not ruled out all out-of-country referrals. The number of referrals has dropped dramatically from almost 1000 annually, to mere dozens now.

Your doctor probably knows squat about out-of-country referrals. The best place to get answers is from the health centers in the USA that actually do the surgeries. Go to http://www.clos.org which is the website for the MGB. It is an excellent source of information and help.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

My understanding is that there are now bariatric clinics in Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton and London now. this is why they are not approving out of country surgery. Someone I know was told that. Just don't quote me on the cities but i know the first to definitely are doing them.
    If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information