Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: transmission problem

Default transmission problem

need advice. ALL OF A SUDDEN MY TRANNY STARTED SLIPPING. wHEN IN ANY GEAR YOU HIT THE GAS AND START MOVING. BUT VERY SLOWY AND THE RPMS JUST SKYROCKET. yOU have to really press the gas to gain speed...it will switch gears once in a while but barely. always drops back to neutral. I changed fluid and filter with proper stuff

My vehicle is a van (1998 plymouth voyager)

i have been reading for days all over the net...the only option i can come up with are the speed sensors...input and output

what do you think?

Default Re: transmission problem

also i heard you can scan the tcm for faault codes...does anyone do this for free???

Check to be sure but Chrysler has feature where by you turn the key off and on a couple of times without starting the motor and it will give you trouble codes. I believe the first code is 55 then after that write down the number of flashes for your check engine light and you can check the codes on the net or buy the book (~ $25 @ CTC). Codes always read in two numbers (i.e. 55, 32, 25, etc.).
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

dood....hate to burst your bubble, but if it is a dodge/plymouth product from late 90's there is a good...well almost 100% chance you need a rebuild. Those trannys weren't made to last past even 4 years or 100k's. If it is slipping even after a fluid and filter change, then more then likely your clutches in the tranny are shot, or the valve body isn't functioning due to failed internals....very VERY common in those vehicles...best bet is to get it to a tranny shop. Did you do the filter and fluid or at a shop? I would ask and see what they say about the amount of clutch material that would have showed up in the bottom of the tranny pan....and plus, when you change fluid, you should get it done a shop, due to the machines they have to make sure ALL fluid is changed out, not just the stuff in the pan good luck, I hope it isn't too much a headache for ya

just do what i did with my old car... lucas the hell out of it and drive it till the tranny drops out of it.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

If I was in your shoes I'd take it to Larry at Avanced Transmissions on queen street. He's honest and he'll tell you what you're up against.

Just my opinion of course..
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information