Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Guitar Makers?

Default Any Guitar Makers?

I have a CNC router that would be adequate in making a guitar. Im just a hobbyist, and an electric guitar would be a challenging project. I understand the neck can be purchased along with the majority of the pieces. I was thinking of cutting the body on my CNC and purchasing the other parts. I have several templates that I have downloaded off the net Les Paul, Fender, Gibson and Ibanez. Im finding it difficult to source the wood for the body, I have read a solid body is preferred over a laminated body. I need a solid blank somewhere in the size of 16 wide by 20 long at 2 thick.
    If there are guitar builders out there I would love to hear from you and maybe pick your brain.
    These 2 threads are great for learning some tricks.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...then-some.html
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...cnc-build.html

Default Re: Any Guitar Makers?

Tons of online suppliers of blanks. Usually 1.75" thick. For an extra 50 bucks you can get the routing in all the stock locations. Something to think about.

Get every thing you need in one shipment and save $$.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/BodyBlank.aspx

I was looking at the blanks on Stewmac.com and I noticed they are jointed (laminated). This does change things, I could source 8"x2" maple locally and make my own blank. Thanks for the info on warmoth.com I had not seen the predrilled blanks. I still think routing my own will be a fun project. I would need some help on fitting the proper electronics to the template I pick. I do not want to purchase the wrong pickups or bridge...

Nothing wrong with a two piece body. If your doing a natural finish you might want to add a fancy book matched top. If your doing a solid colour you won,t see the seem anyway. Very few guitar/basses ship with a one piece body.

Thanks for the help guys. I have read the build thread on the 53 Tele and I think that is the one I will tackle. I don't think I will try the neck just yet as there is not enough detail on how the Truss Rod is installed. I have a planer, jointer disk/table sander along with my CNC I should be able to manage it, I hope.
    Is there anyone in the Soo that builds or has built a guitar?

Try Lou Pilon in Blind River,he builds guitars,violins etc. His phone number is 705-356-7294

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    Is there anyone in the Soo that builds or has built a guitar?
    I've put a couple of basses together

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showth...310&highlight=

Nice work!
    Were they both kits? The first one looks like you did some of your own routing on the body.
    What was the cost roughly for a complete bass?

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    Nice work!
    Were they both kits? The first one looks like you did some of your own routing on the body.
    What was the cost roughly for a complete bass?
    The black Jazz body and neck are from Warmoth and hardware is all top notch from Hipshot, Nordstrand and Audere.
    Aproximately $1700.00

The burst Jazz I made the body and bought the neck from Warmoth. Tuners are Hipshot. Bridge is Ets from Germany. Pickups are Nordstrand and preamp is from John East in the UK. Apprx. $2200.00

The black walnut 5 string I made the body from a one piece board. The neck came from Alan Cringean from AC Guitars in Scotland. I also got the filter based pre from Alan. Alan designed the pre and John East made it at his facility.
    To date approximate. $1200.00

Hope that helps you a bit.

MIMF The best forum for anyone wanting to get into the details of building.
    http://www.mimf.com/cgi-bin/WebX
    I started out to build an acoustic, and invested a grand or so in wood and tools, but after getting into this forum, I realized that to be really good, I'd have to do a lot more than just glue pieces together. I spent at least 40 hours just sharpening my planes (quite satisfying to see .002" curls coming off).
    I learned quite a bit 'tho, and the folks there are really off the scale in their expertise.
    Last edited by starterwiz; 01-06-2011 at 02:24 AM.
    Ice cream doesn't have bones.

i've played greenman's basses.....nothing short of spectacular. taught me a lot about what to expect on a custom build for cost. i am going to build one hopefully with greenman. i know what wood , what design and what electronics. don't have a spare $2000 kickin around. when i do , greenman is getting the call.
    the other thing to me is that this has to out perform similar costing basses. that's a tall order. you can get some hi end basses for 2k. all of greenman's builds have out performed my moded curbow, spector, schector, fender p-bass.
    hope this helps

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information