Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cats are disposable pets?

Default Cats are disposable pets?

FOUND ON SOOTODAY:

KOBO WAS BORN HERE THREE YEARS AGO HAS BEEN A HOUSE PET ONLY NEVER SEEN OR BEEN OUT SIDE WOULD PROBABLY DIE OUTSIDE THIS CAT IS AFFECTIONATE HAS HAD ALL SHOTAS AND BEEN VERRRRRY WELL LOOKED AFTERED LOVES TO BE PLAYED WITH CUDDLED LOOKS MORE SIAMESE THEN ANYTHING LIGHT COLOURED INTACK MALE DOES NOT SPRAY COMES WITH ALL HIS SUPPLIES
    FREE FREE FREE
    BOUGHT PUPPY THAT TERRORIEZES THE POOR CAT
    782-0187

Posted by the SAME PERSON THAT IS SELLING PUPPIES in the next ad.

Yet another example that some people consider cats disposable pets. It bothers me that some people don't treat the ownership of cats as seriously or long term as dogs. When something happens with the cat behaviorally or otherwise some people have an easier time "Getting rid of" their cats than dogs.

They find what ever reason that makes them feel good:
    kitty is peeing out side of the box
    new puppy is terrorizing kitty
    old kitty doesn;t like new kitty so get rid of old kitty
    kitty sheds too much
    kitty has health issues
    Had kitty 3 years now allergic...lol
    and many more.

As a volunteer for an animal rescue. I see and hear many stories, situations and excuses. I also see the need for permanent homes for almost 100 cats.
    I see major decisions made by the president on whether to adopt to someone who has treated ther previous cat as a disposable pet to lower our burdan or keep kitty until we find a better more suitable home. She ends up keeping them until she finds a suitable home that feels good.

These are my opinions. I do not speak for anyone else associated with the rescue I volunteer for.
    Last edited by Joy.D; 11-21-2010 at 11:24 PM.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

Default Re: Cats are disposable pets?

A**holes! nuff said. There should be license for cats as there is for dogs. Not that it would solve anything...but ...nevermind it would solve nothing.
    Just need a kick in the A**.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. *Dr Seuss*

i just read that on the other news board, pi$$$$$$$$$$'$ me off! grrrrrrrr
    the only comfort it would be is if this kitty finds a home where she won't be disposable.
    sickening. now i know why i like my animals more than most people.
    neutering stops the need for euthanizing

I could never do that. As I shared with people before I have always kept my animals until they "needed" to be put down due to health reasons or very old age. IE my cat was 25 and she was blind, partially deaf, very fraile starting to not eat, couldn't groom herself and often she would get lost, find her in the tub or closet not able to find her way out. We had no choice. My other cat had lung tumors and it was untreatable so we made that hard decision and the other cat had a brain tumor and was seizuring anywhere from 3-15 times a day it was unfare to keep her going but they were all old, 25, 9 and 11 I still have a 13 and a 10 year old, they are healthy and going strong and hoping to keep them around several more years. But as I would never just get rid of my child I couldn't imagine giving away my pet, they are every bit my child as my human child. Why bother gettign an animal if you don't intend to stick by them through thick and thin. GRRRR...
    MagicFingers

I love my cats just as much as my dog and it really sickens me when I see people who don't appreciate them or care for them as much as any other pet. I think the whole "cats can survive in the wild" has put a damper on the cats survival rate in the home.

... We'll play the glad game. At the very least, this person is trying to find a home for the cat? =(

I am not aiming my rant specificly at that individual....
    Just using as an example and there are many examples all the time.
    True that they are looking for a home for kitty instead of dumping him in the night drop box at the humane society.
    Very Glad for that!!

I totally understand what you mean. There are way more cats than dogs at the humane society. There are way more cats roaming the streets. There are way more cats squished on the side of the road. There are just way more cats.

It makes me sad, and I wish I could do more. I wish people would understand that regardless of what it is, a living thing is a living thing. A hamster, mouse, bird, cat, dog, wolf, deer, horse, moose, tiger, giraffe, elephant, whale... they are ALL alive. They all feel pain just as much as the other. They all have feelings (as much as some people want to believe that false). It is really sad.

I hate when I hear of people who "can't even keep a hamster alive for a week". Makes me sick.

I'm totally going on to a different rant... sorry!!! But yes, cats are just as sweet and lovely as dogs. People need to start treating them better.

I adopted an adult cat over a year ago. He was the only animal in the house for that whole year. I now have a 4 month old Husky that, when brought home 2 months ago, terrorized my cat beyond the normal tolerance of any cat lol

Now, maybe I'm weird, but my first thought was "I need to train my puppy to leave the cat alone"....not "gee, I should get rid of my cat so the puppy doesn't bother him anymore". And guess what? They get along great now! lol
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Jst4u View Post
    I adopted an adult cat over a year ago. He was the only animal in the house for that whole year. I now have a 4 month old Husky that, when brought home 2 months ago, terrorized my cat beyond the normal tolerance of any cat lol

Now, maybe I'm weird, but my first thought was "I need to train my puppy to leave the cat alone"....not "gee, I should get rid of my cat so the puppy doesn't bother him anymore". And guess what? They get along great now! lol

my point exactly

I know the phone number..........the cat is better off with someone else.
    Usually it's horse/cow/goat related swap, trade, whatever, but always a rescue. Yep, leave it to me to say something.
    Some people are always changing their pets, too bad morals and values weren't easier to change.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

My kitties are in their home here. They won't be tossed aside for any reason. My oldest one is going on 15... I swear, she acts like she is 3. This kitty dominates our home (and her little furbaby sisters) but is the most loving cuddly cat. The other two are about 11 now, and I couldn't imagine just getting rid of them.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information