Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Local laws of smoking on balcony?

Default Local laws of smoking on balcony?

Are there any type of laws prohibiting people form smoking on there balcony (apartment) in SSM? I do not care if people smoke, but I do care when that smoke enters my apartment... Are there any laws protecting tenants from this?

Default Re: Local laws of smoking on balcony?

I know there are laws prohibiting use of barbecues on balconies but smoking, I'm not sure,you can remedy this problem instantly by closing your windows.

i agree, close your windows. you can't stop them from smoking on their balcony.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

Clearly this is the air's fault. That ******* air should know better than to blow some cigarette smoke into this fine citizen's apartment. I think you should have the air brought up on some form of discomfort charge.

Smokers are losers
    Cukoo for Cocoa Puffs

Smokers have been sent outside because of the dangers and smell of second hand smoke. This is fine with smokers, they respect others. Why do people continue to complain, even if the smoker is following rules and standing outside in the elements? Call the landlord or MOVE if the smoke on the balcony offends you.

I remember people smoking in grocery stores, theatres and airplanes when I was young. Although I can't say I agree that it was ok and maybe it bothered them, but I can't remember non-smokers complaining. Now a little whiff of smoke outside is enough to instantly give people cancer, asthma and other ailments. Isn't it time people focused on something else to whine about?

The Big Lebowski, you say smokers are losers but I can think of many losers who don't have addictions or habits. Like anyone with an addiction, do you call all of them losers? Do you have any friends or relatives who drink too much or got hooked on drugs? I have a couple of relatives and a friend who are addicted to booze. They are nice, good people, but they have an addiction. I have never thought of them as losers.

you can't bbq on a balcony? I see BBQs on balconies all the time I assume they are there to cook on. I don't know about that one. I think its your right to smoke where you want as long as its outside or in the privacy of your home and if you chose to smoke then smoke where its ok to do so. My husband smokes and he doesn't smoke in his vehicle if there are non smokers it the vehicle unless he asks if its alright. As long as your a polite smoker and not a blow smoke in your face smoker why should other people care its their life and death.
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

Quote Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
    Smokers have been sent outside because of the dangers and smell of second hand smoke. This is fine with smokers, they respect others. Why do people continue to complain, even if the smoker is following rules and standing outside in the elements? Call the landlord or MOVE if the smoke on the balcony offends you.

I remember people smoking in grocery stores, theatres and airplanes when I was young. Although I can't say I agree that it was ok and maybe it bothered them, but I can't remember non-smokers complaining. Now a little whiff of smoke outside is enough to instantly give people cancer, asthma and other ailments. Isn't it time people focused on something else to whine about?

The Big Lebowski, you say smokers are losers but I can think of many losers who don't have addictions or habits. Like anyone with an addiction, do you call all of them losers? Do you have any friends or relatives who drink too much or got hooked on drugs? I have a couple of relatives and a friend who are addicted to booze. They are nice, good people, but they have an addiction. I have never thought of them as losers.
    Well said!

I'm a smoker that has sympathy for the OP. We have to close our windows constantly because we have a neighbour who is compelled to burn anything and everything, daily. It's like living in a chimney of an incinerater (sp?), and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by tasma View Post
    you can't bbq on a balcony? I see BBQs on balconies all the time I assume they are there to cook on. I don't know about that one. I think its your right to smoke where you want as long as its outside or in the privacy of your home and if you chose to smoke then smoke where its ok to do so. My husband smokes and he doesn't smoke in his vehicle if there are non smokers it the vehicle unless he asks if its alright. As long as your a polite smoker and not a blow smoke in your face smoker why should other people care its their life and death.
    It is against the law to bbq on a balcony...doesn't mean tht people don't but they aren't supposed to. It is a fire hazard. People are supposed to wear seatbelts but dont and not speed and they still do but it is still illegal.
    MagicFingers

You can't smoke on the balcony? Are allowed to smoke inside the apt? That is funny.

GOD ... i wanted to say so much here but the rest of you have pretty much covered it off ... i think its become an anti-smokers
    movement rather than the anti-smoking movement !! People seem to think that they have the right to infringe upon others right
    because something annoys them and hide behind the veil of health care "its in their best interest, smoking is bad for them" when
    in truth they dont care nor have they ever about the well being of the man smoking on his baclony ... or too close to the mall ...
    or in a restaurant they chose to go to !!

Quote Originally Posted by NTP View Post
    GOD will forgive your ass.. lol
    Don't be so sure.

Stink bombs are illegal.

So far, cigarettes are not.

But your rights end at the tip of my nose.

Cigarettes smell bad to me, and make my clothes smell.

So I have no sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    Stink bombs are illegal.

So far, cigarettes are not.

But your rights end at the tip of my nose.

Cigarettes smell bad to me, and make my clothes smell.

So I have no sympathy.
    Who's asking for your sympathy?
    All that is being asked for is R E S P E C T. It runs both ways. I'm sure you can walk around smokers outside so you don't go home with your clothes stinking and your nose out of joint.

Soon it will be legal to toke on a joint outside but not a cigarett.
    This, seems to be funnier than Hell, LMAO
    We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey

Quote Originally Posted by NTP View Post
    Source?
    A kid down at the bus terminal with rolling papers sticking out of his pocket

Quote Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
    Who's asking for your sympathy?
    All that is being asked for is R E S P E C T. It runs both ways. I'm sure you can walk around smokers outside so you don't go home with your clothes stinking and your nose out of joint.
    Remember about the sympathy during your stay at ARCH.

Trying to think of a good reason for anyone to go out of their way for someone who has a bad habit. Or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post

Trying to think of a good reason for anyone to go out of their way for someone who has a bad habit. Or respect.
    Every human being that treats others with respect; even those with flaws disguised as addictions, is worthy of respect. I'm surprised by your comment SB

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy85 View Post
    Every human being that treats others with respect; even those with flaws disguised as addictions, is worthy of respect. I'm surprised by your comment SB
    Isn't respect earned?? Someone who expects me to walk around because they have a bad habit isn't going to earn much at that point.

Otherwise, you are correct.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information