Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finding a reputable breeder.

Default Finding a reputable breeder.

A good breeder takes a LIFETIME interest in ALL dogs produced. They want to know how your dog does in it's new home, love getting calls and cards from you and are always there to advise you of a problem comes up. If a medical condition crops up, they want to know so if it is potentially hereditary, they can alter the program and try to stop the problem in future generations. A good breeder is a mentor and best friend to all buyers and dogs they produced. And a good breeder will sell with a spay/neuter contract or alter the puppy or dog before placement!
    Beware of the breeder that has multiple breeds. Ask questions. A reputable breeder does not let a puppy go at Christmas, the busiest time of the year.

Default Re: Finding a reputable breeder.

Thank you, I agree!
    Impulse buying is a horrible problem during Christmas time and the holidays as well as any time a new movie with an animal comes out. So many dalmations were euthanized due to the popularization of them with 101 Dalamations movie.

Always spend time with the pups before choosing as well. Look for pups who will interact with you, check their eyes, ears, and teeth to make sure they are healthy! Do not buy an animal from a breeder who is not reputable because you feel sorry for the puppy. This just supports the breeder and they will continue to breed (same for puppy mills).
    Be aware that colour is important! Know the breeds colours and why certain colours are NOT bred. Many colours are a sign of genetic faults such as deafness , blindness, and other genetic problems that will leave you with a huge vet bill at the end of the day.
    Responsible breeders will not sell you a mix. Watch out for designer dogs! They are not purebreds. They are sold as the "best" of both genes-often claimed to be allergy free. You can't know what you get by taking two different breeds and putting them together...you never know what will happen.
    If you want a mix, please consider adopting or rescueing an animal instead-There are so many out there in need of a good home who are on death row without breeding more on purpose. Let's stop this pet over population problem
    When I was born I was so surprised I didnít talk for a year and a half.

I will have to say that not all purchases of an animal at christmas is an impulse buy. My first dog ever was a christmas gift from my dad. She lived until she was 14....and was the best gift ever and apparently Suzy was not an impulse buy my dad just happened to wait until christmas to get her for us.
    MagicFingers

Hi MagicFingers, It sounds like you and your dog had a good bond and it was a very positive experience for you. Everyone's situation is different

I would define impulse buying as an action without thought-spontanious. Dogs require a lot of responsibility and each breed is different and is not suited for all families. A reputable breeder will not sell a dog as a surprise christmas gift and many will wait until after the holidays to avoid their animals being brought into an environment where they cannot adjust properly. This is because Christmas day lacks consistency, there's too many people going in and out, and a lot of dangers for a 'new' puppy. (for example, the new puppy slipping out the door as all the guests walk in care free).

During the Christmas holidays the Humane Society becomes packed with unwanted pets. People either thought it would make a good gift for their child (and the dog goes unwanted in the place of a DS), or the stress of the holidays is too much to handle with a puppy peeing on the floor and such.

As a guideline to keep pets in caring homes I can understand why many reputable breeders would prefer to wait until Christmas was over. I would say, all reputable breeders screen their owners-and so none would ever be a "surprise" gift.

The Humane Society offers gift certificates to those who would like to make a pet a gift, yet would like the family/owner to choose a dog which suits their lifestyle (or to be able to respectfully decline the offer). This is a valuable idea I believe.

The Humane Society will also not sell black cats near Halloween. Many end up sarificed for sick rituals, while others are just part of a costume or setting and then returned or uncared for. There are many people who would gladly purchase a black cat near Halloween for the purpose of a house pet and would be very loving, but I think they've made the right decision...Best let responsible owners wait then risk certain others getting them for the wrong reasons...with that in mind..I can completely understand breeders perspectives.

And for those of you with pets here is a good site for lil tips and reminders of safety during the Holidays. Hope everyone has a good one!!! http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2098&aid=932

I remember someone posting on here a while back that reputable breeders don't advertise their puppies on classified ads and message boards. That they already have a client waiting list before they breed.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy.D View Post
    I remember someone posting on here a while back that reputable breeders don't advertise their puppies on classified ads and message boards. That they already have a client waiting list before they breed.
    This is true, theres always a list, but if they dont advertise somwhere, how will pple be added to that list?
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. *Dr Seuss*

If you're a reputable breeder, they come to you.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

they can't come to you if they don't know you exist. Really wish the witch hunts would stop.....this isn't about talking about reputable breeders if it is thats fine but it becomes a gang of people trying to burn one person at the stake. People really need to let it go already. There are some people here who knows exactly what I am talking about some may not but this goes beyond what the OP had originally posted.
    MagicFingers

No pitchforks, no burning stakes. Just pointing out what someone stated before. There is always a certain level of advertising. There are always ads. I still dont believe you need a CKC piece of paper and double the price to get a quality dog. Although I have heard that Pot O Gold does have nice dogs.

I agree with the not needing CKC piece of paper.
    MagicFingers

Wow. I responded to a post, doesn't mean I'm out for a witch hunt with pitchforks. My god, get your head out of your a$$. I couldn't care less who posted what comment.

A reputable breeder wouldn't be advertising in classifieds and on message boards. They would have a reputation in the world of their breed as a good breeder because they would be ACTIVE with their breed. Word of mouth. Recommendations from their own breeder. And a lot don't even breed until their waiting list is long enough that they already have homes for all of the puppies.

If you don't believe me, learn a bit more about what "reputable breeder" really means.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well P.O.G, looks like you too are a sh***y breeder. Damn ads killed you. Haha hop on the band wagon and grab a seat. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I think somone else has their head too far up their ass.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. *Dr Seuss*

Quote Originally Posted by Joy.D View Post
    No pitchforks, no burning stakes. Just pointing out what someone stated before. There is always a certain level of advertising. There are always ads. I still dont believe you need a CKC piece of paper and double the price to get a quality dog. Although I have heard that Pot O Gold does have nice dogs.
    Friend of the fam has a dog from them. Shes very sweet and smart as a whip! She looks like one of those big fuzzy bear slippers. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jst4u View Post
    Wow. I responded to a post, doesn't mean I'm out for a witch hunt with pitchforks. My god, get your head out of your a$$. I couldn't care less who posted what comment.

A reputable breeder wouldn't be advertising in classifieds and on message boards. They would have a reputation in the world of their breed as a good breeder because they would be ACTIVE with their breed. Word of mouth. Recommendations from their own breeder. And a lot don't even breed until their waiting list is long enough that they already have homes for all of the puppies.

If you don't believe me, learn a bit more about what "reputable breeder" really means.
    I never mentioned any names I didn't accuse anyone specifically....but apparently this hit a nerve since your so defensive. You might want to ask yourself why.
    MagicFingers

.......................................... hmmmmmmm cuz shes a miserable c**t bahahahahaha
    my bad....... lol

Even when someone is irritating us, to throw words out like this is only a reflection of our own character.
    As someone who works with the public I would probably refrain from cursing people out publicly. Patience and balance are virtues.
    Let's all keep this about reputable breeders in general. Everyone has their own expectations with what a reputable breeder is. I know for myself, they are quite high. Though it is nice to read everyone's opinions on what a rep breeder is to them and learn about other people's values.
    Last edited by GreyWolf; 12-11-2010 at 08:11 PM.

TNT put the eggnog down and back away from the glass. I think you have had too much Christmas Cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
    Even when someone is irritating us, to throw words out like this is only a reflection of our own character.
    As someone who works with the public I would probably refrain from cursing people out publicly. Yikes.
    you're absolutely right! One would. However in a place like this and having heard all we basically have, it's all in good fun at this point.
    LOL
    again, I don't "work" with the public. We all merely socialize with the public.
    Sooooooo....all ridicule aside. I stand by that...and say.....BAHAHAHAHA.

Actually, you're both right, thats not fair. Even though she can slam me without knowing me, this gives me NOTHING to say the same of her.
    words appreciated, and logged.
    Appologies to those who read that, and to you.
    Somtimes it's better to bite your tongue. Agreed.
    But hey......its said, so, oops, I slipped once.

ps...I hate eggnog, and i dont drink. lol can't imagine what would happen if I did. :S

LOL TNT you have a very evil sense of humor... I like it!!

I feel that a person can be a responsible AND reputable breeder and not have show dogs or a fancy piece of paper for their animals. Quality does not always come with papers. MY Shih Tzu puppies do not come with papers yet anyone who has one or two of my pups will state that they are healthy, good natured, well adjusted dogs. I understand I cannot call them purebred even though I can go back 3 generations and they are all shih tzus. I am considered a "responsible and reputable" breeder of non-registered shih tzus in my little circle of life and always have people asking when I am breedng again. I don't know when I am breeding again or if I am. There is a lot of work in breeding and raising well adjusted and healthy puppies.
    Last edited by Joy.D; 12-12-2010 at 12:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information