Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Finding a reputable breeder.

Default Re: Finding a reputable breeder.

just sayin' hehe
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. *Dr Seuss*

TNT, I'd almost believe you if you weren't charging MORE for those different colors. Nice try, though.

If you would have read my post, you'd realize that I said a CKC registration means **** all. I, personally, don't give two sh*ts whether your dogs are registered or not. But at least have a friggin reason for breeding other than "good pets". There are too goddamn many of them in shelters already.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

haha you're right there. There ARE too many in shelters, hence the microchips in my name to ensure mine never end up there. Not to mention I sponsor taag, and foster for them, so guess Im doing my part.
    I have justified my reasons, many times over. Your getting slow here. Is that all you have left? lol
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. *Dr Seuss*

LOL I feel like saying

DING DING DING Boxers to your respective corners!....
    MagicFingers

If you could refrain from personal attacks (and not just against me) then I'm sure I'd take you a lot more serious. It's typical avoidance. When you can't give a valid answer, you take personal shots. It shows a lot.

Regardless of what you may think or feel, it's nothing personal. I couldn't care less who you are or what you do in your spare time. I do not agree with your so-called breeding ethics. And anyone doing serious research into a Great Dane breeder would avoid you like the plague. Simple as that.

Continue with the personal shots...doesn't bother me lol You know nothing about me.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

First off.....TNT......no need to jump down my throat about red flags.Personally I held nothing against you in this whole discussion. I am talking breeders in general, and with me doing my OWN personal search for a totally different breed, I know what I want and expect from a breeder. The ones I have talked to will talk for hours about the breed, they find No stupid questions. In my own personal one on one with them, the conversation has been informative on both ends. The breeders I have dealt with actually will comment on the research I have done, inform me of some mis information (because we all know there isn't bull sheet on the web now) They also will listen to the information I have in owning a Spitz X2 breed, they laugh they groan and they share. They don't get defensive, they don't jump down throats. Being interested and asking questions about a certain breed is not wrong, and if they want clients (an extended family as you put it) they show passion and they themselves never stop learning about the breed. Nor do they stop educating those who have no idea about the breed. The more info that is passed between makes both parties comfortable. I feel comfortable that I have found a knowledgable breeder, and the breeder knows that I am not some Joe blow trolling.
    Now in reading your responses, I understand why some are constantly on your back. You put your own foot in your mouth as a breeder by saying questions of a possible buyer are stupid. One of the many reasons why I personally would not want to purchase a Dane in this city is that not one of them that I have come into contact with, whoever the breeders in this city are, are healthy. I know and have know many dane owners........the dogs have had seizures, Wobbler's, gastro issues (bloat), hip and joint problems,heart problems, temperment problems(probably brought on because the dog is ill in some way).And those are just some of the MAIN issues a Dane has, let's talk about the possible rare issues that may pop up in a Dane with genetic defects.......oh wait my bad, asking HEALTH questions is stupid and a waste of the breeders time.
    I personally will never in a million years get a dog of any "pure breed" from this city, because too many breeders of what ever the breed are so backassward

And as for asking questions that would be stupid to some, I am on a waiting list because #1 the breeder does not over-breed her b!tches, and #2 she has a 5 star rep. She also does not charge extra for colour, she does have classes though, because not all pups make it to show dog. In just wanting a family pet with no show quality it is less money and they come with a strict spay neuter policy. Which is understandable when you read the "breed specifics for show dogs on this breed" Not every pup is going to make the big time, and not every buyer wants to own a top dog. Possible show dogs have a contract for stud/***** and cost more. Not to mention heatlh certificate, 24/7 if you need it contact with the breeder. Pups are not sent out until at least 14 weeks with the mother, socialization, starting of obediance, all shots.
    Last edited by leafs93; 12-14-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.

2+2= 7 on this bulletin board, and to argue about it is futile.

Leafs, I've known MANY Danes with the same issues...my own included. But they were all from the "other" Dane breeder. I don't know anything personally about TNT's dogs or their health.

I'd still like to know how you explain the color thing you've got going on, TNT. You charge more for Harlequins because you say they're hard to breed. But they're hard to breed because you're messing with colors that shouldn't be bred together...the only reason I can see a breeder charging more for a Harle is because it's pedigree and breeding is pure and will yield the highest possible outcome of Harles in a litter if it is bred. Are you following me, here? Harles themselves aren't that hard to produce...if you're doing it properly. It's the PROPERLY MARKED Harles that are difficult to achieve.

Messing around in "fingerpaint", as you put it, then charging more for those so-called hard to produce colors is a HUGE red flag for potential Dane owners. At least, for anyone who knows a thing or two about the breed.

JMO, though. What do I know.

Jst4u, I personally don't know ANY of the dane breeders in the Sault, but I still wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole, just from what I have witnessed with my own eyes. Seems just a few years ago Danes exploded into the city. So you go from none to some to lots......they got to be coming from somewhere. And I highly doubt any of the Dane breeders in the Sault are shipping a Stud in from somewhere else. So same B!tches, same studs....same problems. Just my own opinion, and once again I am not going on heresay........I have seen this, personally .......

Totally agree, Leafs. Never thought I'd say this, though, but those Danes were all from a different one than TNT...Again, though, I know nothing of TNT's dogs. Just want the facts straight. Which is all I have ever wanted, regardless of what some may think.

I agree that this breed has been through it's share of shame in the Sault already. I suppose that's why I'm so passionate about this topic right now. This breed has been dragged through the mud.

Just for the record, I know nothing of TNT's dogs either. My issues is with what she thinks is stupid for a buyer to be asking a breeder. in my own personal search, talking to breeders who are hundreds of miles away from here, that are willing to answer my supposedly stupid questions, the so called red flag questions for her, and they find nothing stupid in it at all. They tell me otherwise, that if I didn't ask these questions that it would raise a red flag to them. If I didn't want to know these things that I would look like an idiot. That is all, seeing this thread is about reputable breeders.

And I agree that this breed has been dragged through the mud in this city. Danes are a magnificent breed, a little to large for me, but beautiful. I have nothing against the breed.......it's the ethics that bother me.

I think you both missed the boat when she talks about askign questions. I m not interested in getting a great Dane however I am interested in learning. I have asked TNT many questions and she is willing to share. What she is stating is that when someone wants to buy a great dane but has shown through their questions that they have done absolutely NO research and no nothing about the breed but say here is my money but do great danes get big? that to her is a red flag not that she doesn't want to educate them but they are not ready to own a great dane if they don't know some of the basics to a great dane.

We are talking about people that buy on the whim where chances are in 5 months when the dog is 12 feet tall and 300 pounds they will say Gee I didn't know it was going to get that big. (I KNOW EXAGGERATION) But that is what she is getting at. When someone doesn't know the basics about a breed then they need to do more research before being serious about purchasing one.
    MagicFingers

Best way to find out about a breed? Ask a breeder lol Everyone has to start somewhere. Instead of putting these people down, maybe try to inform and enlighten them.

I was looking into Ridgebacks a few years ago and knew NOTHING (and I mean nothing) about the breed. I contacted a breeder in the Elliot Lake area and asked her (what I see now) as absolutely ridiculous questions. She didn't turn me away. She answered them professionally and informatively.

yeah but were you telling her you had the money and were coming to get one.....no you were simply calling for information there is a difference. I difference in wanting to learn about the breed and another in wanting the breed but don't care in finding out about it before hand.
    MagicFingers

I seem to remember Grey Wolf (?) asked TNT some questions and she was flat out rude and condescending to him/her. Over a few simple questions.

I think you missed the boat Magicfingers. I don't have a pure bred Elkhound, I have a mix. I don't know all things Elkhound, and would never claim I did, but I do have a breeder that will answer ALL and I mean ALL my questions on the breed. And as you say in your post about asking questions about getting big.....that is not what I asked and what she called a stupid question...MINE was about HEALTH......not about size......read a bit please. I am not talking about Dane breeders I am talking about finding a REPUTABLE BREEDER......of ANY BREED. To ask about health problems all in all is a resonsible question for both the purchaser and the breeder to answer. And if she thinks it is a stupid question, and with all the health problems the Danes in the Soo have been known to have, if I was her I would answer the question and not think it is stupid! Even if those other dog's were not hers, the rep in the Soo regarding Danes is piss poor.........especially when it comes to health and BREEDING......so why not step up to the plate and promote the breed and your dogs, and not laugh at those who want to find out about them??

i have one question, if you were researching a breed name the top three places you would go to find information on them?

Quote Originally Posted by leafs93 View Post
    I think you missed the boat Magicfingers. I don't have a pure bred Elkhound, I have a mix. I don't know all things Elkhound, and would never claim I did, but I do have a breeder that will answer ALL and I mean ALL my questions on the breed. And as you say in your post about asking questions about getting big.....that is not what I asked and what she called a stupid question...MINE was about HEALTH......not about size......read a bit please. I am not talking about Dane breeders I am talking about finding a REPUTABLE BREEDER......of ANY BREED. To ask about health problems all in all is a resonsible question for both the purchaser and the breeder to answer. And if she thinks it is a stupid question, and with all the health problems the Danes in the Soo have been known to have, if I was her I would answer the question and not think it is stupid! Even if those other dog's were not hers, the rep in the Soo regarding Danes is piss poor.........especially when it comes to health and BREEDING......so why not step up to the plate and promote the breed and your dogs, and not laugh at those who want to find out about them??
    I might have missed it but I dont recall TNT saying any of the questions were stupid. I recall her saying there were certain things that raised a red flag for her and for her those red flags indicate the people don't know what they are getting into. HOwever I don't think she ever said that any question was stupid. I will be the first to admit I know nearly nothing about Danes except that they grow to be very very big. I would expect that knowing that I am not wanting to purchase a Dane but interested in learning about them TNT or anyone else here would be willing to provide me with any answers I might have. Now if I had called TNT saying I would like to purchase a male and she asked me what I knew about the the breed I would have to say nothing I would expect her to have red flags. However I would also expect her to maybe educate me and see if my interest is still there.

By the way I was just using size as an example. THere have been several posts and perhaps I missed the one where she was rude to you and told you your question was stupid. I also don't recall you asking anything specific about the health. I woudl agree answering questions related to health on the breeders dogs are reasonable and any reasonable breeder would provide it. I don't think TNT has not provided the health status of her dogs. I don't know anythign about dane breeders in the sault, I am not really into specific breeds. I would take a pure bred or a "mutt" whatever....my parents have a golden my friend just got a boarder collie I wouldn't mind a boxer. but really it all depends at the time we are ready to get a dog what and where we will get it. We might go to the humane society we might not but I know we are not looking for a pure bred in the sense a show dog.
    MagicFingers

i have one question, if you were researching a breed name the top three places you would go to find information on them?
    the internet for info on the breed
    the internet for lists of breeders
    local message board for referrals to breeders
    the breeder

NOT neccisarily in that order.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

Dogs in Canada Annual, internet to browse breeder websites then asking questions to the more promising options from there. Most of it would be (and has been) doing my own reading up through books, etc. on the breed.

As soon as I can afford to feed one, I'm going to get myself another Mastiff breed. I love 'em. And I'll move if I have to, but I'm going to get a Staffy someday soon. Probably when I'm done school.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information