Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: "Greatest Collapse in WJC History"

Default Re: "Greatest Collapse in WJC History"

Okay, now in English
    "The modern atheist is always angered when he hears anything said about God and religion - he would be incapable of such a resentment if God were only a myth"

-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by R W G R View Post
    Settling for Silver.

The obvious sign of a once-proud hockey power in decline.
    Nobody ever said we were "settling for silver". We obviously wanted Gold, just like your team did. But we were defeated and had to settle for Silver. You had to settle for Bronze. The winner was Russia - but we defeated the US without even trying.

We win

You won what? Silver?

Congrats. Maybe someday you will win Gold again.
    You won what? Bronze but favored for the gold................we won and we humiliated your boys
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

Settling for Silver.

The obvious sign of a once-proud hockey power in decline.
    Settling for bronze when favored for gold...............we won

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

Gold last two years: USA, Russia.

Canada, wherefore art thou, Canada??
    Right here....

All Time Coaching Record

Craig Hartsburg, 12 - 0 - 1 (W-T-L), 2007-08
    Brent Sutter, 12 - 0 - 0, 2005-06
    Terry Simpson, 10 - 4 - 0, 1985-86
    Dave King, 10 - 2 - 2, 1982-1983
    Stan Butler, 9 - 4 - 1, 2001-02
    Don Hay, 7 - 0 - 0, 1995
    Dave Chambers, 6 - 1 - 0, 1988
    Joe Canale, 6 - 1 - 0, 1994
    Perry Pearn, 6 - 0 - 1, 1993
    Marcel Comeau, 6 - 0 - 0, 1996
    Pat Quinn, 6 - 0 - 0, 2009
    Mario Durocher, 5 - 1 - 0, 2004
    Willie Desjardins, 5 - 1 - 0, 2010
    Marc Habscheid, 5 - 0 - 1, 2003
    Mike Babcock, 5 - 0 - 2, 1997
    Guy Charron, 5 - 1 - 1, 1990
    D ick Todd, 5 - 1 - 1, 1991
    Dave Cameron, 5 - 1 - 1, 2011
    Brian Kilrea, 4 - 1 - 2, 1984
    Tom Webster, 4 - 1 - 2, 1989
    Bert Templeton, 4 - 1 - 1, 1987*
    Tom Renney 4 - 2 - 1, 1999
    Claude Julien, 4 - 3 - 0, 2000
    Rick Cornacchia, 2 - 2 - 3, 1992
    Real Paiement, 2 - 0 - 4, 1998
    *Canada DQ from final standings

Lets see you match that, yank!
    Show me what you got.
    It is good to be KING!

I'm proud of team USA. Although they didn't win gold there's still something to be proud of. I don't need to belittle the accomplishments of another team to be proud of my team either.

Bottom line: USA was good, Canada was better, Russia was the best.

There's not much to argue really.
    A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave. - Mahatma Gandhi

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Leroy View Post
    I'm proud of team USA. Although they didn't win gold there's still something to be proud of. I don't need to belittle the accomplishments of another team to be proud of my team either.

Bottom line: USA was good, Canada was better, Russia was the best.

There's not much to argue really.
    Exactly. Well stated Oscar. Any other "mine is better than yours" discussion is meaningless. And the team roster changes every year so what happened in the past is hardly even relative when talking about an individual year's results.

Bottom line: USA was good, Canada was better, Russia was the best.There's not much to argue really.
    Agreed OL. I was just mirroring someones mentality and it would appear it's not appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy85 View Post
    And the team roster changes every year so what happened in the past is hardly even relative when talking about an individual year's results.
    Not to mention the importance in developing these kids for a possible future in the NHL. This is what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    Agreed OL. I was just mirroring someones mentality and it would appear it's not appreciated.
    No worries. It's an easy argument to fall into. I mean, we're all proud of who we are and where we come from, so it's understandable that you would show up in defense of your country. I would do the same thing. If it weren't for the instigating this wouldn't even be an issue at all.

Sadly, there are two members here (one American and one Canadian) that seem to thrive on such arguments. The Canadian member calls Americans fat, lazy, and stupid and the American marginalizes the successes of Canada at any opportunity. It's terrible that two people who I assume are adults continuously act like a couple of schoolyard kids arguing over who's dad is taller.
    A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave. - Mahatma Gandhi

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - Sir Winston Churchill

No worries. It's an easy argument to fall into. I mean, we're all proud of who we are and where we come from, so it's understandable that you would show up in defense of your country. I would do the same thing. If it weren't for the instigating this wouldn't even be an issue at all.

Sadly, there are two members here (one American and one Canadian) that seem to thrive on such arguments. The Canadian member calls Americans fat, lazy, and stupid and the American marginalizes the successes of Canada at any opportunity. It's terrible that two people who I assume are adults continuously act like a couple of schoolyard kids arguing over who's dad is taller.
    All and all it's some of the best hockey all year. More importantly I enjoy watching the players grow and develop as they move closer to the pro's. I'm not sure what percentage of players in the NHL have played in the jr. tourny, but would expect those that did found the tournament to be a fundamental building tool to help them prepare for future development.

Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    All and all it's some of the best hockey all year. More importantly I enjoy watching the players grow and develop as they move closer to the pro's. I'm not sure what percentage of players in the NHL have played in the jr. tourny, but would expect those that did found the tournament to be a fundamental building tool to help them prepare for future development.
    It's both exciting and painful for me. I'm a Leafs fan, so I get to see the players the Leafs won't be able to draft for the next few years... I agree, great hockey though.

It's both exciting and painful for me. I'm a Leafs fan, so I get to see the players the Leafs won't be able to draft for the next few years... I agree, great hockey though.
    Do you think TO is a better team than they show, if so, how much longer will they put up with Wilson? (knowing he's good friends with Burke)

I think Toronto is better in some ways. They definitely have a younger, more entertaining team than they used to which is a good start. I think they are better than what they show. They did a decent job in the pre-season, and started the season off with a bang. The team has potential, and I think there might be a few players limiting the roster, rather than a complete lack of a quality roster, if that makes any sense.

The Kessel trade is still 50/50, but based on the teams performance, Boston's picks are looking pretty high this year too, making the trade a potential disaster.

As for Wilson, I think he's a good coach, but not with this team. It takes a great coach to make a mediocre team preform, and a good coach to make a good team live up to its potential. I think Wilson fits better in the second category right now. Believe it or not, I really like Jacques Martin as a coach and would love to see him behind the bench in Toronto. Bryan Murray is great too. To answer your question though, I think if the results aren't there this season, Wilson is gone.

A great replacement for Wilson would be Hartsburg. He's a great teaching coach, and could help the young players a lot.

I agree Oscar. As a Leafs fan, I am getting tired of the trades for players that are past their prime or simply dont fit. Maybe its the coaching or the way the players are clicking together. That game against Atlanta was proof that the talent is there, but isnt being reached. MacArthur is a nice fit and a hard worker. Grabby...well its about damn time to say the least. His last two goals in the shootouts have been highlight reel goals. Alot of people want Kaberle gone but I want him to stay. He is a strong defenseman who knows the game and knows his role. Reimer seems to have what it takes to become a starter for the Leafs. I have watched his positional play and it seems to be there. Hopefully they keep developing this guy instead of putting all the pressure on him to get them into the playoffs.

This team needs an overhaul, BADLY! The players that arent there to play, need to go. If Burke is going to rebuild this team, he needs to do it with draft picks and not trades. The trade for Kessel is an embarrassment but the trade for Phaneuf was a good start. Lets hope within the coming years that Reimer continues on the right path and that Kadri can find his rhythm.
    <insert witty comment here>

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information