Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo Artists

Default Tattoo Artists

I'm looking into getting some artwork done in the near future and I'm shopping around for an artist. Looking for something cost effective as I'm still a student, however artist skill is definately a priority. I'll refrain from posting the drawing for the time being but if someone can point me in the direction of some artists I'd appreciate it.

PS, It's color work

- Chris

Default Re: Tattoo Artists

Dragon's Eye Tattoo across the river is pretty cost effective. Good work too! I got all but one of my tattoo's there.
    <insert witty comment here>

Awesome place here in town is forsaken tattoo beside blueboy. He is amazing and very reasonably priced. My next tattoo will be soon by him. he is also on facebook you can check out his work there.
    MagicFingers

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Anipeg. Talk to Loopy from here.

make a right then left, left straight for one block then look down!

Black cat in the east end. Really a great bunch of guys, father and son really. great work and willing to sit with you and draw up what you want. you have to just pick off the wall. and the y dont charge you for sitting and talking with them.

I had big dave do all of mine, think im going elsewhere this time tho. He has great work, but I think his eyesight is going on him . lol
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. *Dr Seuss*

I've spoken with people who've gone to Dave. I've heard mixed things come from that place. One, he drills deep so it's always painful. However on the upside, there's never any fading. I've also heard his work is getting sloppy so it could be that he's getting older. Who knows.

As per Black Cat, I've sent my design to them, along with Extreme Airbrushing. I'd like to stay local for this. I'd rather not travel to the states just for a tattoo. It may be a good artist but my design's quite easy to do, it's just the coloring.

Thanks everyone

Paully from extreme Airbrushing is fabulous..he does amazing work..give him a call you won't be disappointed

Jamie at Illustrated Tattoo is great, he has done mine and my husbands and they both turned out great. He is on 412 North St where North St mini mart used to be. 575-6466 . Over all I would say interview your artist. see examples of their work, ask for price, and overall be comfortable with your artist. I feel that when you are being marked for life... trust is an issue that I find important.
    Last edited by Joy.D; 01-23-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: corrected address
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

I know I should stay out of this but here goes. Please check their portfolio first before making any decisions. Make sure that they are inspected regularly by the health unit. Regardless of whether or not a design is simple, the lines still need to be consistent. Look closely, ask questions and be sure that they are knowledgeable about tattooing. Doing it for a year thinking you are a rock star isn't what I mean by knowledgeable.

If I wasn't going to get work done by one of the artists at Anipeg, my second choice would be Forsaken. I've seen enough of the others and had to repair a lot of them and personally don't feel comfortable with their work. I'm not bashing, just dropping my professional opinion(20 years worth) on a very personal procedure. Don't worry, they return the fuzzy feelings. I refrain from saying anything negative about Dave as we have mutual respect for one another.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Quote Originally Posted by vixen View Post
    Black cat in the east end. Really a great bunch of guys, father and son really. great work and willing to sit with you and draw up what you want. you have to just pick off the wall. and the y dont charge you for sitting and talking with them.
    Tattoo artists charge you for sitting and talking with them?? I've never ran into that and I don't think that's appropriate.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Quote Originally Posted by A*lil*Loopy View Post
    I know I should stay out of this but here goes. Please check their portfolio first before making any decisions. Make sure that they are inspected regularly by the health unit. Regardless of whether or not a design is simple, the lines still need to be consistent. Look closely, ask questions and be sure that they are knowledgeable about tattooing. Doing it for a year thinking you are a rock star isn't what I mean by knowledgeable.

If I wasn't going to get work done by one of the artists at Anipeg, my second choice would be Forsaken. I've seen enough of the others and had to repair a lot of them and personally don't feel comfortable with their work. I'm not bashing, just dropping my professional opinion(20 years worth) on a very personal procedure. Don't worry, they return the fuzzy feelings. I refrain from saying anything negative about Dave as we have mutual respect for one another.
    Thanks for saying this... Joey at Forsaken has designed my tattoo. I did research him and look at his portfolio and I know many people who have gone to him and he seems to know exactly what he is doing. It is nice to see someone else in the business acknowledge his talent. My appointment is on the 22nd. Hoping to post a pic of the finished product. I originally had a small butterfly done on my ankle done at Anipeg. It represented the change I made in my life. My grandfather helped me and supported my decision for the tattoo. And the last time I saw my grandfather was the day I had the tattoo done. He passed away 3 months later....my son is named after my grandfather and it is a design incorporating the butterfly with my sons name on it which is also my grandfathers so it is a very sentimental tattoo.
    MagicFingers

Quote Originally Posted by A*lil*Loopy View Post
    Tattoo artists charge you for sitting and talking with them?? I've never ran into that and I don't think that's appropriate.
    I have also not run into that. I know Joey at Forsaken I sat and talked with him he took a list of what I wanted, the essence of what I wanted the design to look and feel like and he drew up a design and sent it to me...Asked me for my input if I wanted anything changed and such.....I thought it was abo****ely perfect. He said it might not be exactly the way it is designed as once he lays it on it will have to be tweaked a little but the idea is there and it is very very nice. He charges based on the amount of time he has spent on the design and on the tattooing. He told me he wouldn't give me a quote until he did the design and I approved it then he would have a better idea. I guess over all it isn't just by length of time on a design but how complicated the design is. I believe most tatooists (sp?) would be about the same but not sure I don't have a lot of experience. I know all the people I know who have been to Joey at Forsaken said the same, he charges per design not length of time. And it is very very reasonably priced. I also like that he does a lot for charity
    MagicFingers

Superior Line's across the river is really good! Awesome artist and reasonable prices.

Loopy saw the fire trucks in front of Anipeg hope all is ok in there although I think they were there more for the building attached but not sure.
    MagicFingers

I my self went to Forsaken and told Joey what I was looking for he said he could draw something up in a week I gave him my e-mail and phone number because he said he could e-mail it to me, a week and a half later I stopped by again and he said he still had nothing hadn't even gotten started, that he would get to it A.S.A.P and get in touch with me. I never heard anything from him after that. I loved the look of his work but to me customer service says so much about a business. For me this did not say much on the positive side for his business. Just my opinion
    PPL ARE LIKE SLINKIES NOT GOOD FOR MUCH BUT CAN BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN STAIRS

Firetrucks were for the next building, nothing serious thankfully.
    Lonewolf and all tattoo customers, sometimes artists have quite a list of custom designing to do and aren't able to get to things right away. Customer service is one of those things that everyone wants but always remember that you aren't the only customer. Some designs require hours of drawing and redrawing as well as research for accuracy depending on the subject matter. Unfortunately some of those custom designs decide to go elsewhere at the last minute too which means artist wasted all that time for nothing.
    A serious tattoo collector will usually offer a deposit on their tattoo so that the artist knows that they are serious. A serious tattooer will sometimes ask for a deposit so they know they aren't wasting their time. There is actually tattoo etiquette for both the artist and the customer.

Agreeing to email a design is pretty generous because that would mean giving you a design that you could take elsewhere........not saying you would, but it's their work and they deserve to be paid for it. After being so generous, many artists won't put themselves in that position. Good faith doesn't pay the bills. It's the equivalent of working a shift and not being paid for it. What most people don't understand is that many artists end up working late into the night designing because they love it but remember it is still a lot of time spent on you so try to be understanding. If someone is truly serious then they need to do their best to help the artist understand what it is that they want and keep in touch with the artist. So many projects can be very distracting.

I'm not in here advertising, or am I trying to be insulting. I'm simply trying to make people aware of what they don't see.
    Hope you don't mind that I took advantage of your post to mention these things.

Senior Member EyelashExtensions's Avatar

I have heard complaints about all of the above, I have seen not great work from all of the above. To me, most tattoo artists have their niche, you just need to figure out if their work is similar to what you want done. Like everyone said go in and see what they have done. I know all of the above have done good work and bad work. In the end you will go where you feel comfortable on a personal level and the quality of what they have done. Not everyone is going to be happy with every tattoo artist.

This is also why I picked Forsaken. I have been told by many and also by looking at his work that he specializes in writing styles and since a big part of the tattoo has my sons name in it in a script type style I wanted the best. My other choice would have been Anipeg. From my research those are the only two places I would go to.
    MagicFingers

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information