Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else upset about Usage Based Billing coming to Shaw Feb 1st

Default Anybody else upset about Usage Based Billing coming to Shaw Feb 1st

http://openmedia.ca/news/openmediaca...uture-internet

Shaw Extreme is now capped at 100gb from 125gb (effective Dec 2010) and overage costs will be $1 per GB. Shaw High Speed is capped at 50gb and you can enjoy a $2 a gb charge over that. Now I don't mind paying for heavy usage, but 100gb cap is not realistic in this day of age. Bring that limit to 150gb and I probably won't complain.

Especially considering the current CRTC ruling that not only allows IPS's to charge for UBB but also will allow ISPs to determine their own prices based on market forces. The fact is, there is no market in Canada. Most areas of the country are forced to deal directly with an ISP that has regional rights, or a re-seller that has to buy lease the tubes from them.

On top of that, if you are an ISP that is also a cable TV provider, there is a conflict of interest here to push away new web initiatives like netlfix, hulu, nhl gamecentre, apple & google tv etc. What a great way to motivate your clients to turn off the computer and go back in front of the TV. (not to mention, Bell's own internet TV/Movies on demand will not count towards their clients Internet usage bill)

Sure pirates use a lot of data, but with more appliances and websites offering web-based media, the costs will put Canada at a disadvantage compared to what the rest of the digital world will enjoy.

The least we can do is sign the petition on the site highlighted at the top of this post.

Default Re: Anybody else upset about Usage Based Billing coming to Shaw Feb 1st

a great article on why UBB, as it stands right now, is bad for Canadians in today's Globe and Mail:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1881250/

If you exceed the usage included in your package, don’t worry — we’ll notify you on your next bill and you won’t be charged. After that, you have a few options:

Upgrade to the next package level
    Purchase a monthly data pack (10 GB for $5/month, 60 GB for $20/month, 250 GB for $50/month)
    Maintain current plan and pay for each gigabyte used over your plan’s allotted amount ($1 or $2 depending on the plan)

I am at 70 GB so far, for the period between January 08 and January 23. Looks like 100 GB is not going to do it for me. So that means another 20$/month in their pocket, since they don't offer the next package in this City.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

The real problem with any of these ISP's is that they always advertise their speeds, and as soon as you take advantage of it they claim you cause to much data traffic. Which is really just their way of stating they want you to pay extra.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

We're a family that decided to cancel cable last year and embrace the media rich web experience that is emerging. With the new UBB structure, it is clear that cable companies are trying to stop more people like us from cancelling cable, or even to convince me to re-up cable due to cost. It's big companies trying to stifle innovative new media to ensure their 20th century business model remains profitable.

I've been trying to organise a protest at city hall against this for a bit , but with poor reception. People are more content to just ***** about things than do something about it.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

This is going to hurt a lot of people but most won't have a clue until they get that first warning letter or bill and realize how much this might cost them. It's only going to go up too, as we use more bandwidth every year.
    The metering doesn't really bother me. I'm already on a metered plan.
    The ridiculously low caps and what they are charging for extra bandwidth does though. My ISP tells me that they pay about 3/gig. Charging a dollar or two for a gig is just criminal.

and if they were to be a protest it would be best if it were at the MP's office. This has nothing to do with the city.

The municipal governments can appeal to the CRTC to repeal this. The Vancouver municipal government is acting on behalf of the people after they protested this. That's where my idea of protesting to city hall came from, if enough municipal governments spoke for thier people the message would get along better than trying to appeal to the communications companies or the CRTC directly.

http://openmedia.ca/news/city-vancou...-its-residents
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

Once the UBB is in full swing and it's too late I can just see the average family with a couple of teenagers streaming video and doing online gaming just eating up the GBs. When the parents get the ISP bill I can see them say "hey who racked up this $1000 ISP Bill". It's sad, but we will have to keep track of every GB we use much like we do with minutes on a cell phone. What will be next.....roaming charges on Internet usuage.........The big telcos and cable companies have us by our wallets....

Quote Originally Posted by 403_forbidden View Post
    What will be next.....roaming charges on Internet usuage.........The big telcos and cable companies have us by our wallets....
    Just a guess;
    Hey, you are watching tv 24/7. You are hogging bandwidth watching all that tv. Now you get 100 hours of tv per month for $60 and everything after that it's $2/hour.
    Same with phone. You're on the phone all day. That phone is hogging our bits. For now on you get 40 hours per month and everything after that cost you 5/minute.

They always had us by the wallets. It's the low caps that is the problem.
    Like I said before and I will say this again : if they keep coming up with the bandwith and network excuse, they should stop offering ISP services and go find something else to make money with. Otherwise, shut up and keep counting your profits.

Say good-bye to internet hotspots and office wifi too. The CRTC doesn't realize how much of a disadvantage they are putting Canadians under. Allowing UBB is forcing the consumer to stick with 20th Century technology, and only tinker with web based media (look but don't touch) while the rest of the world is rushing into a rich media based web for entertainment, communication and commerce. We are making our selves a 2nd world country. Please write to the CRTC http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/home-accueil.htm and keep up with the protest at openmedia.ca http://openmedia.ca/meter

Another thing that bothers me about this is Shaws broadband metering. Lord knows their old meter was a piece of ****. The new one is better but still not accurate enough to put any trust in.
    How can they get away with that?
    Bell's meter has never worked and I can't see them getting one that does either.
    Isn't this something that should fall under Canada's Weights and Measures Inspection Services?

How about the fact that if you don't use adblock, seeing ads on the internet (that legitimately pay for website's existance) are now going to be paid by you to view. Many more websites are using video ads too. The CRTC has not thought this thing through at all.
    Last edited by Koss; 01-27-2011 at 01:04 PM.

As well as the petition, these matters should be brought up with your local representative.

I just posted on their facebook page, and had a good talk with an online customer care person.

I clearly told them it makes no sense for me to stick with their internet service if they are going to enforce these charges, as my average data traffic is 300-500 GB/month.

With Shaw I would have to purchase 2 times 250 GB, which would add 100$ to my bill.
    I looked at their competition, and they charge 5$/40 GB over their data plan.
    The competition would charge me 60$ extra for the same data.

A closer look would reveal the following price :

Shaw : 57$/month + 100$/month to cover my data traffic = 157$/month + tax
    Bell : 31.95/month + 60$/month to cover my data traffic = 91.95$/month + tax

I thought I would never say this, but Bell looks good to me right now.

Or I guess I could go with Vianet Cable modem, but I am not sure if Shaw is going to force Vianet to pay for data overages at the same rates? If not there's a golden opportunity for Vianet to grab customers in this City.

I asked my isp Teksavvy about this and they said that they will be force to lower their caps to what Rogers and Bell set. Get this, Bell's is a 25 gig cap. I imagine Vianet will have to do the same thing.
    Shawn, if your out there. Any comment.
    Will these new caps hurt or destroy smaller ISP's like Vianet and Teksavvy?

Has anyone seen anything about this on the major news outlets?
    I've seen mention of it on the CBC website, Financial post, and Globe and Mail but nothing on TV.
    I guess Bell and Shaw are doing a good job keeping this suppressed seeing as they own many of the media outlets.

Bell charges 5$/40 GB. Shaw charges 20$/60 GB.
    That's a huge difference for the same thing.

So now the question will be what Shaw will charge Vianet.
    What I am saying is that if Vianet charges 5$/60GB and Shaw charges 20$/60GB it would not make sense to stay with Shaw since Vianet offers the exact same connection.

Yes this affects all ISPs. Originally the hullabaloo was that the big telco companies were forcing ubb on those running off their lines. This is going to affect any and all ISPs in Canada.s

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information