Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Slow Cookers

Default Slow Cookers

So I'm thinking on buying a slow cooker. I'm just looking for opinions on them and for some recipe ideas for them. Thanks!

Default Re: Slow Cookers

Make sure you get one where the liner comes out so much easier to clean...i just search online for recipes..i have done whole chickens in mine, roasts, chili...i have cooked roasts from frozen state in them...just put in the morning on low and let cook all day...stews are good to make in them and soups
    If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail.

also, dont go cheap...get one with cooking option such as how many hours and warm...some just have low/med./hi which is o.k. if you know you will be home but if you want to set it and forget it, the time setting is nice. Recipes for the slowcooker are everywhere, just remember its all about keeping the lid on and the moisture in.
    Whimsical and Determined!

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Slow cookers are a wonderful thing. Just make sure you use about half the spice you normally would. The process tends to intensify spices quite a bit. One of my favourites in a slow cooker is to get a bunch of ribs - back, side, whatever - even a mix is good. Cut them into twos and toss them in the pot, along with a bottle of bbq sauce (even cheap stuff is good). Put it on low before you go to work and enjoy ribs when you come home. That simple. Another similar one is pulled pork or beef sandwiches, using a cheap pork or beef roast instead of the ribs - don't cut it up at all, just put it in with the bbq sauce. You can also make some great soups in the crock pot. Chili is good too. Just make them pretty much same as you normally would, but if you want anything to be crunchy put it in for the last hour or so instead of all day.

I love mine! I am sorry I did not buy a bigger one. I will next time.

I have an awesome recipe book that is just recipes for the slow cooker.....I believe it is called "fix it and forget it" it has recipes for everything from dip and apple butter to chili, soup, roasts and chicken. It even has recipes for cake in the slow cooker.

http://www.amazon.ca/Fix-Forget-Cook.../dp/1561483397

this is the book I mentioned....AWESOME recipe book for the slow cooker!

my favorite thing to cook in the slow cooker is pulled pork. it's great for sandwiches or you can serve it with potatoes or rice. i don't use bbq sauce though, i use pureed tomatoes and add my own spices. it's pretty much the same as bbq sauce though. stews also good and casseroles work well in there. i also wish i had bought a bigger one so i could cook enough to get leftovers for the next day and i'd have more options of what i could make.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

removable liner is a must and i prefer ceramic over a non-stick coating. no chance of the liner peeling wth a ceramic one.

roast beef or pork is amazing in the crock pot!

Senior Member Luv to be on the GO's Avatar

Your so right MB ..Roasts really are amazing
    What I like to do is ...Put my Pasta sauce and
    Meat Balls in my large crock pot and cook on
    low for hours and hours ...Awesome meat balls !

i agree with melanie b the ceramic removable liner. i love mine. i can post my favorite recipes later if you like. so easy. like newcasa said ribs are so easy and SO GOOD. now i stock up every time they are on sale. i do a meatloaf thats very easy too and yummy too. i highly recommend it.

i think its useful for winter colder times - i dont seem to use it in the warm months, is that just me?

Oh wow! Great ideas everyone! Thanks a million!

MmMmMm Slow cooker lasagna! <3

i use mine way more in the colder months too. but if i want to do a roast in the summer time, i'll plug it in outside on the deck. keep the house that much cooler! lol

i'm interested in that meatloaf recipe Kitca, if you're willing to share.

I use mine all year round. Nothing better working outside and coming in to a cooked meal.

you can use any meatloaf recipe that you like, just form it in the centre of the liner and keep it from touching the sides of the pan. more like a meatlump than loaf, lol. anyway, here is my favorite recipe.
    2 lbs (or so) lean ground meat (i use extra lean)
    1 slice soft bread torn into pieces
    1 cup oatmeal
    1 cup milk
    1 beaten egg
    salt, pepper, sage, dry mustard, cerery salt, garlic salt worcestershire sauce,
    mix all together and form into a lump.
    in seperate bowl mix 1 cup ketchup and 1/4 cup brown sugar. pour into pie plate
    place this on top of meatlump. cook on low 8-10 hours. use the ketchup mixture as an icing. yummy

this one is really good and super easy. its from companys coming
    meatball stew
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    3 1/2 cups baby carrots
    2 lbs baby potaotes (if too large, cut in 2)

dried dillweed
    pepper
    package of frozen cooked meatballs

1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup beef broth
    1/2 cup water
    2 tsp worchestershire sauce

1 1/2 cups frozen peas
    layer first 3 ingredients, sprinkle with spices, put meatballs on
    combine next 4 ingredients pour over mixture. cook on low 8-10 or hi 4-5.
    add peas just before serving and put on hi for 5 minutes till heated through.

i dont measure, i just eyeball most of the stuff. its surprisingly good

pour into pie plate place this on top of meatlump.
    just to be clear, you put the pie plate in the crock and cook it like that?

ya, you know one of those disposable aluminium ones.

Quote Originally Posted by maloo View Post
    I have an awesome recipe book that is just recipes for the slow cooker.....I believe it is called "fix it and forget it" it has recipes for everything from dip and apple butter to chili, soup, roasts and chicken. It even has recipes for cake in the slow cooker.
    Ive got the same recipe book

Ive got 2 slow cookers and I couldn't and wouldn't live without them...lol...

ok, so i made kitca's meat lump using a mix of beef, veal and pork. i had it in the crock ready to go, and my husband came home and wanted it done before he went to work. ughh, so i poured the ketchup right on top of it and put the crock liner in the oven. it was really really good.
    maybe next time i'll get to try it in the crock!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information