Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Petoskey?

Default Petoskey?

Anything that would be of interest to myself or my husband there?

And by that, I mean shopping.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

Default Re: Petoskey?

go a little furthur to traverse city JMO

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Petoskey is cool and so is Harbour Springs, which is on the other side of the bad - about 10-15 minutes away. Traverse city is maybe a bit better as far as shopping goes.

depends if you want to go to chain stores or nice local shops..

the only chain stores in petoskey are lowes, home depot, office max, walmart, meijer, joanne, mc sports, kmart, pier 1, glens, etc..

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    depends if you want to go to chain stores or nice local shops..

the only chain stores in petoskey are lowes, home depot, office max, walmart, meijer, joanne, mc sports, kmart, pier 1, glens, etc..
    And then there's the 100 or more nice local shops downtown....

gaylord for shopping

Quote Originally Posted by ssmarie View Post
    gaylord for shopping
    I heard this as well. Although for atmosphere, Petosky and Charlevoix etc, are way cuter.
    Somewhere in a lonely hotel room
    there’s a guy starting to realize
    That eternal fate has turned it's back on him
    It's two a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by NewCasa View Post
    And then there's the 100 or more nice local shops downtown....
    definitely, that's the main reason we go there.

i do like traverse city better, but petoskey is closer. we stayed in petoskey and took the old highway to gaylord, only about 20 minutes that way. it depends on what you like shopping for. i would be happy for a weekend in petoskey & gaylord and also one in traverse city.

Petosky's Walmart looked pretty big when I drove through the town a few years ago. There is a Hampton Inn right beside it - they are awesome hotels with free big breakfast and cushy beds with duvets. Another thing you can do from Petsoky is drive back along Lake Michigan - Lakeshore Drive to Wilderness Park and see how all the rich people live by the beach.

Banned

Never been to either place personally, sounds like Petoskey is mostly boutique stores... Does Gaylord have more outlet stores?

hehehe you said gay lord... hehehe
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Gaylord has a new Walmart supercentr, Big Lots, Dress Barn, Payless, Kohl's, TJMax, a huge craft store and Meijer plus tons of great local shops downtown. A bit further than Petosky but closer than TC - I rarely go to TC anymore - do the Gaylord trip in a day

petoskey has lots of those big stores. lowes, a big joanne crafts, goodwill, some big futniture store. the only thing they dont have in gaylord or petoskey is a michaels crafts, but gaylord has a hobby lobby and its pretty cool! you can download 50% off coupons from their website. oh, and there is no menards either.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    Petosky's Walmart looked pretty big when I drove through the town a few years ago. There is a Hampton Inn right beside it - they are awesome hotels with free big breakfast and cushy beds with duvets. Another thing you can do from Petsoky is drive back along Lake Michigan - Lakeshore Drive to Wilderness Park and see how all the rich people live by the beach.
    That portion of Petoskey is one of the wealthiest areas in the U.S., per capita.

Very surreal to see the multi-multi-millionaires nestled among the relative backwards-ness of northern Michigan. I like to take a trip down there every summer just to see how rich I'll never be.

Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    That portion of Petoskey is one of the wealthiest areas in the U.S., per capita.

Very surreal to see the multi-multi-millionaires nestled among the relative backwards-ness of northern Michigan. I like to take a trip down there every summer just to see how rich I'll never be.
    when they were building those condos on the bluffs they had model homes to tour. we toured several of them, just amazing to see how i will never live. and they said alot of those were going as vacation properties to be used 2 weeks of the year. i wonder how many of them are?

the other thing we like to do is ride our bikes around bayshore(?) the really old gingerbread community. and to eat lunch in the restraunt at the hotel and look through all the rooms after. each one is decorated differently and all done in antiques.

Banned

I was able to get a close look at the house of a guy who owns many of the Burger Kings in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. We park cars in our garages up here, he parked one of his many planes outside his home on the water. His guesthouse was bigger and more luxurious than 99% of the houses I've ever been in.

I could never understand how people could whine about money being tight at times, and at the same time, go "shopping" out of town. To spend money for the sake of spending money is irresponsible. What values are we setting for our youth when we flippantly travel to places like Petosky to simply "shop"?

"Shopping" at home keeps money in our community and supports the businesses that keep our youth and our friends employed.

When people complain that they aren't in a position to retire because their "nest-egg" isn't big enough to support a retired life, think about the thousands of dollars wasted by "shopping" in places like Petosky. Ask yourself this, ..... ten years from now, will my shopping trip to Petosky have left an impression in my life that is irreplaceable? If the answer is no, then save your money and put it into an retirement fund, ... you will enjoy retirement a lot more, .... I do. If your answer is "yes", then you lead a pretty meaningless life.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

Banned

Holy Over-Analyzation, Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    Holy Over-Analyzation, Batman!
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information