Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strategic voting in SSM riding

Default Re: Strategic voting in SSM riding

It's too bad that only these three parties get any consideration, and other parties are not given the same opportunity to address the public as these three are... It's also too bad that people choose to put blinders on and only consider these three parties... I don't really agree with all of the ideas of any of these three parties, and unfortunately, that means my vote will be wasted... It's a shame. One would think in a true democracy, there would be no such thing as a wasted vote.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Just for you, DQ. Don't ever say I never did anything for ya...

http://www.votepair.ca/
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

Thanks Blue! that is an interesting point.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    Thanks Blue! that is an interesting point.
    But then there's this warning.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...-swapping.html

http://democraticspace.com/canada201...rojections.pdf

The above website indicates that in SSM riding, the NDP (Tony Martin) is in the lead, followed very closely by the Conservative.

If you want a Conservative government, vote Conservative in SSM riding.

If you don't want a Conservative government, vote for Tony Martin (NDP) in SSM riding.

Every vote for Liberal, Green, etc instead of for Tony Martin is wasted because it will help elect the (anti-environment, anti-democratic, right wing, pro-corporate) Conservatives!!!

Hold your nose, if necessary, and make your vote count! This is smart, strategic voting!
    Last edited by SilverDog; 04-19-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDog View Post
    Every vote for Liberal, Green, etc instead of for Bryan Hayes is wasted because it will help reelect a representative who has no real voice in Ottawa and who is responsible for little of what he takes credit for.
    There, I fixed it for you

Seriously though, a vote the party/rep you believe in is not wasted even if they have no chance of winning the seat. % of popular vote in the election has real consequences in terms of funding and future advertising time.

There, fixed the link for you too.

The Tories won't - the Dippers can't, so ...... how should Canadians vote? All in all - I love a democratic society and we will all have to live with the choices Canada makes. Let's hope that Canadians have the smarts to educate themselves on practicality and separate the nonsense (double CPP - umm ok - sounds great - where exactly would that money come from?) Just a thought.

Of topic just a bit. On sootoday.com and soonews, Tony said it was the Harper government that imposed HST. Wasn't Mcguinty, the provincial Liberal government that did that?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_tim View Post
    There, I fixed it for you

Seriously though, a vote the party/rep you believe in is not wasted even if they have no chance of winning the seat. % of popular vote in the election has real consequences in terms of funding and future advertising time.
    A vote for, say, the Greens gets them $1.75 or $2. Much smarter to vote strategically and then send the Greens $2 or even $10.

But a Conservative majority resulting from all the wasted votes will:

(1) help big biz rip off common folks for way more (look at your bank fees and gas prices), and

(2) will end that subsidy. Harper promised to end it. Guess what. His PC (Pro Corporate) party gets millions from their corporate puppet masters. The other parties obviously not. That is insidiously anti-democratic.

Similarly, a US Republican said that the breaking of the Wisconsin public service union was for the purpose of removing that union's political funding contributions to the Democratic Party. Then only the Republicans could afford the expensive media advertising. This is on top of them already buying up most of the private broadcasters so they spew right-wing bias. That is anti-democratic in both senses. (The are treating their political opponents like Al-Qaeda--choke them by cutting off their source of funding.)

I used to think that that political subsidy was wrong, but them I remembered the golden rule: "the one with the gold makes the rules". Let that ruler be the taxpayers, rather than the big corporations.
    Last edited by SilverDog; 04-19-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Give us the five years of hell then go away.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

NDP is not my first choice either... but, like I said, it's too bad only the main three get any opportunity to have their voice heard. I know I'm voting for http://www.mlpc.ca/... seems like too much uncertaincy with this vote swapping... I don't trust it.
    - Mark Twain

NDP is not my first choice either... but, like I said, it's too bad only the main three get any opportunity to have their voice heard. I know I'm voting for http://www.mlpc.ca/... seems like too much uncertaincy with this vote swapping... I don't trust it.
    Others would get heard if they received the same amount of votes. This is supposed to be a democracy.

Well, the green party was not even allowed to speak on the debate... how is that fair?
    but I guess we get the false idea that democracy = fair even though it is not.
    Interestingly enough, people will deny this because the sheep have had this idea pounded into their heads, and critical thinking has been eliminated from this topic.
    - Mark Twain

DQ, do you know the definition of a committee?? The only living organism with 12 stomachs and no brain.

That's why we have the kind of democarcy we have.

Keeps the loons at bay.

Banned

what??

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    DQ, do you know the definition of a committee?? The only living organism with 12 stomachs and no brain.

That's why we have the kind of democarcy we have.

Keeps the loons at bay.
    No, it keeps the loons in office, all the while giving us the illusion of "freedom" and "choice" because those words sound really nice.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    what??
    Stick with your "interesting" politics.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDog View Post
    A vote for, say, the Greens gets them $1.75 or $2. Much smarter to vote strategically and then send the Greens $2 or even $10.

But a Conservative majority resulting from all the wasted votes will:

(1) help big biz rip off common folks for way more (look at your bank fees and gas prices), and

(2) will end that subsidy. Harper promised to end it. Guess what. His PC (Pro Corporate) party gets millions from their corporate puppet masters. The other parties obviously not. That is insidiously anti-democratic.

Similarly, a US Republican said that the breaking of the Wisconsin public service union was for the purpose of removing that union's political funding contributions to the Democratic Party. Then only the Republicans could afford the expensive media advertising. This is on top of them already buying up most of the private broadcasters so they spew right-wing bias. That is anti-democratic in both senses. (The are treating their political opponents like Al-Qaeda--choke them by cutting off their source of funding.)

I used to think that that political subsidy was wrong, but them I remembered the golden rule: "the one with the gold makes the rules". Let that ruler be the taxpayers, rather than the big corporations.
    That's odd. Were you on TV last night. Those were the exact talking points I heard from a candidate.

What if this taxpayer is employed by a "Big corporation" along with hundreds of others? And what if all that money I earn from that big corporation along with hundreds of others goes goes back into the community?

All this "Big corporation is scary" talk is cheap. People need to stop and think a little.
    Apparently they regulate gas prices in the Maritimes. Guess what? It is more expensive there than in Ontario.

Well, the green party was not even allowed to speak on the debate... how is that fair?
    but I guess we get the false idea that democracy = fair even though it is not.
    Interestingly enough, people will deny this because the sheep have had this idea pounded into their heads, and critical thinking has been eliminated from this topic.
    Why weren't they allowed to speak at the debate? Or is this an assumption?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information