Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tampa

Default Tampa

I am so excited! We are going to Tamp FL on Thursday. This is our first vacation that involves a flight. Our flight and hotel have been booked and payed for. (Thanks to a family members credit card) But again, this is our first flight. We are traveling from Detroit.

Does anyone have any tips regarding the flight? And any sightseeing ideas for Tampa?
    We will not be renting a car, unless there's one that doesn't need a credit card that I didn't see?

Default Re: Tampa

Busch Gardens is a great place to visit. I was just there, and had a great day.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

We flew to Tampa last year from Kinross, and stayed due west in Clearwater Beach on the beach. It was great. I'll second Busch Gardens, but recommend you go to their website and buy discounted admissions there, instead of paying full price at the gate.

I don't know about Tampa, but CB had an apparently rockin' bus system down at the beach, to get you around.

Try this site for info.

http://www.tampaguide.com/

If your interested in Busch you can go for two days at the same price - or if you or you have a friend thats a CAA member you can buy the tickets here and you get one day at Busch and one day at SeaWorld. Seaworld is in Orlando however. You need transportation to get there but its worth it if you can work that out.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

I thought about Busch Gardens. Ive researched Tampa for hours, and clearwater we are going to go to. It looks like we\ll have to take 3 buses though. Ive booked marked the websites for the bus systems.
    I was hoping that maybe someone found a hidden gem, that wasn't on the advertised guides.
    Or maybe tips once we get to the airport. The blue or yellow lot to park in, or how long in advance to arrive. Website says that the plane is on time 60% of the time lol. What is an air bus?

I was in Tampa in MArch the aquarium is one of the best in the country. I believe it is ranked in the top 10 in the world we went there and it was amazing. Then of course you will probably be able to get tickets for a hockey game if there is one happening while there. It is cheap to go there. If you see a restaurant called Golden Coral or a restaurant called Sweet Tomato I highly recommend those ones. There is Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo it is also supposed to be ranked one of the top zoos. This is the website for the aquarium http://www.flaquarium.org/ and if you have the chance to do parasailing I will say it was worth every single cent we paid.
    MagicFingers

Oh another thing when you get off the plane in tampa check to see if you are in the red or blue delta is blue you will get onto the blue train which will take you to the baggage pick up in the blue section, if your airline is considered red you will have to get on the red train (monorail) that will take you to the baggage pick up in the red section. Just make sure you check out the signs it will tell you. It is pretty organized. Also check with your hotel it might have free shuttles to your hotel. Most hotels have free shuttles to and from the airport. There are lots of beaches, as for the airplanes being on time. My airplane was 100% on time and I always landed early. I arrived in tampa 30 minutes early and I always left on time. Enjoy your time.
    MagicFingers

We go to that area every year, so here is some of my info.

Busch Gardens currently has 69.99 per ticket for a child or adult and the 2nd day is free as long as you go again within 7 days of your first visit. This is true because we went twice this past December. Quick Queue is great if you hate lines, but the cost depends on the day, ranges from something like $15 to $35 (approx), and you can only use it once for each main ride. It is a card they punch the rides`name, and there is a bonus ride you can use once per card.

Tampa area for non cars: The main road going north and south in Clearwater Beach is Gulf Blvd. I don`t know the cost, but take the trolly bus that goes on it and go south a few miles to a place called John`s Pass. It has a Mackinac Island feel to it but with cars allowed. There are tons of cool shops, a restaurant called The Friendly Fisherman, as well as Bubba Gump Shrimp House(yeah, based on the movie), which is a neat place that you can eat outside and see the sunset from your table as well as the drawbridge a few hundred feet away. There is a boardwalk that is quite long and dolphins swim by pretty close every day. Our last day there this past trip, there was a pod of roughly 6 dolphins there. On that note, there are also coupon books there that you can basically go on 2 hour dolphin tours from Hubbards Marina right there at the boardwalk. Our family of 4 went on the tour for $36. BTW, there is no cost to simply walk around John`s Pass. MAJOR MAJOR word of warning.....Be careful walking around with food in hand, the birds WILL swoop down and take it from your hand. They have no fear of people at all, but leave you alone if you don`t have food in hand. Google John`s Pass to be sure though. It is actually in Madeira Beach and is where Madeira meets Treasure Island. Madeira is actually where we stay a few weeks a year.

I can add more but will wait to see how you respond to my comments to gauge what your interests are.

Ok, if you are going to Clearwater Beach, they have vendors on the pier on (IIRC) Saturday and Sunday. If you are standing on that beach at the pier, looking at the ocean, there is Shepperd's, about two or three blocks down the beach on your left. IHOP is just before Shepperds, I think. Shepperds has the most amazing buffet for dinners nightly...seafood, beef, ham, eveything you could think of. It was $18/person, may have been cheaper for kids, can't remember. Ok, I spelled their name wrong. Here's their website.

http://www.shephards.com/entertainme...rant/index.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyM View Post
    W
    Tampa area for non cars: The main road going north and south in Clearwater Beach is Gulf Blvd. I don`t know the cost, but take the trolly bus that goes on it and go south a few miles to a place called John`s Pass. It has a Mackinac Island feel to it but with cars allowed. There are tons of cool shops, a restaurant called The Friendly Fisherman, as well as Bubba Gump Shrimp House(yeah, based on the movie), which is a neat place that you can eat outside and see the sunset from your table as well as the drawbridge a few hundred feet away. There is a boardwalk that is quite long and dolphins swim by pretty close every day. Our last day there this past trip, there was a pod of roughly 6 dolphins there. On that note, there are also coupon books there that you can basically go on 2 hour dolphin tours from Hubbards Marina right there at the boardwalk. Our family of 4 went on the tour for $36. BTW, there is no cost to simply walk around John`s Pass. MAJOR MAJOR word of warning.....Be careful walking around with food in hand, the birds WILL swoop down and take it from your hand. They have no fear of people at all, but leave you alone if you don`t have food in hand. Google John`s Pass to be sure though. It is actually in Madeira Beach and is where Madeira meets Treasure Island. Madeira is actually where we stay a few weeks a year.

I can add more but will wait to see how you respond to my comments to gauge what your interests are.
    This is where my parents stay 5 weeks every year. This year I met them there for 10 days and loved every minute of it. Yes we also did Johns pass as well, and exactly right it has much the same feel as mackinaw island with the shops and all.
    MagicFingers

Quote Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post
    My airplane was 100% on time and I always landed early. I arrived in tampa 30 minutes early and I always left on time. Enjoy your time.
    You mean you pilot was speeding, .....
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

NO...but if you get a tailwind you will get there faster...
    MagicFingers

I have flew out of Detroit to Orlando, with a stop over in New York. The flight was great, and on time both ways. Next time we will be flying out of Flint to Orlando, Florida. Enjoy your time in Tampa. Bush Gardens is awesome. You will love it..
    Last edited by Barnzz; 04-19-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    The world owes you nothing, you want something go and earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyM View Post
    We go to that area every year, so here is some of my info.

I'd really like to do the dolphin tour. I've booked marked the area. Thanks for that, That never came up on any of my searches!

Quote Originally Posted by b&aMom View Post
    Ok, if you are going to Clearwater Beach, they have vendors on the pier on (IIRC) Saturday and Sunday. If you are standing on that beach at the pier, looking at the ocean, there is Shepperd's, about two or three blocks down the beach on your left. IHOP is just before Shepperds, I think. Shepperds has the most amazing buffet for dinners nightly...seafood, beef, ham, eveything you could think of. It was $18/person, may have been cheaper for kids, can't remember. Ok, I spelled their name wrong. Here's their website.

http://www.shephards.com/entertainme...rant/index.cfm
    MMMMMM seafood! We were going to do a buffet in tampa that had seafood, but I'd rather go here!

you can take a cruise on the pirate ship too

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information