Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dogs who carry toys

Default dogs who carry toys

hi, i have never had a dog who loved her toys so much. when peisha comes to greet us she carries one of her toys. she has several and likes to keep them all in her 'lair' near the back door, lol. and when she is really happy she will grab whatever she can to carry in her mouth (at our house its usually socks taken off at the side of the couch)

anyway, im wondering if anyone knows why this behavior? none of my other dogs have really been toy fans, but she just loves hers! but i dont understand why she seems to be proud of caring them around, thats the feeling i get with her, that she is very proud of them?

on another note, poor winston. we gave them both nice bones the other day. she immediately got down to business with hers, but winston carried his around. he buried it and reburied it over and over. finally he figured he had a good burial hiding space and went to rest for a second. good ole peisha just goes right over and gets it out and gets down to business with it. poor dim witted winston...

Default Re: dogs who carry toys

What kind of dog do you have. Some breeds it is just inherent for them to retrieve such as labs and retrievers. Our golden does the exact same thing, when I go visit my parents I am greeted by Molly going to find her fav toy and bringing it to me. She has a basket of them and often brings them to us, wagging her tail and like yours proud that she brought it to us. She will also steal socks, She never chews her toys she LOVES them. She is 11 and still has her toys from when she was a puppy, she has never ptu a hole in one of her toys, she likes to carry them, bring them to us, like them and nibble them as if she was grooming a puppy. Then she will lay down and rest her head on it. She does the same things to socks and in the winter she will find gloves or mitts and bring them.
    MagicFingers

I think Peisha may be substituting toys for her puppies.

My GSD carries anything he can find.

lol, i dont know about the puppies, she doesnt chew up things except the 2 stuffed teddy bears, she has chewed out their plastic eyes and noses! but no, she doesnt chew up other stuff, just likes to carry it around and show you. i wondered if it was a mothering sort of thing.

she is a collie mix and has had 2 litters that we know of before getting fixed.

My male does it and he has never had puppies. he can tear apart a bear in seconds,

shes a collie, shes herding her toys. Hence why she keeps them in her Lair. lol
    Your lucky she doesnt chew. Mine thoroughly enjoy making a small slit in a stuffed toy or pillow and proceeding to remove all fluff. Once the fluff is gone its on to the next. :P
    They opened up a dog bed last summer and my run looked like it had 3 feet of snow in July, I could have killed them. They took ALL the fluff and threw it everywhere! lol
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. *Dr Seuss*

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Your lucky she doesnt chew. Mine thoroughly enjoy making a small slit in a stuffed toy or pillow and proceeding to remove all fluff. Once the fluff is gone its on to the next. :P
    They opened up a dog bed last summer and my run looked like it had 3 feet of snow in July, I could have killed them. They took ALL the fluff and threw it everywhere! lol
    I picked up a dog bed, on sale $27.99. lasted a hour, I was not happy.lol

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I think she is playing, something to do. I am going to buy mine one of those balls that a treat goes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Peety View Post
    I picked up a dog bed, on sale $27.99. lasted a hour, I was not happy.lol
    The beagles are the same way here! Toys are lucky if they last 20 minutes if they are stuffed. They both have VERY high prey drives so we've pretty much given up on anything stuffed. Except their dog beds that go in their crates, they always leave those alone.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMac View Post
    The beagles are the same way here! Toys are lucky if they last 20 minutes if they are stuffed. They both have VERY high prey drives so we've pretty much given up on anything stuffed. Except their dog beds that go in their crates, they always leave those alone.
    I can only use the fuzzy type blankets now.

Wow....Molly's toys look like they are her babies, she has never had puppies but if you ask her where her baby is she goes and gets it. My little boy 14 months today always picks up her toys and will go give them to her and she is so good about it. She will go get them and give them to him as well.
    MagicFingers

All 5 of mine love the toys. Harley (Lab mix) is the most obsessive but loves to share with the others. There does seem to be a pride in carrying them around and interacting with us, almost like he's sharing gifts. I think that some dogs just like to have toys, period. Like kids with toys, some are well behaved with them and others like to destroy them. Could be a mental thing. We have to buy unstuffed toys that have double stitching, etc. I've actually started buying toys that come with a replacement guarantee so that I could at least bring the receipt and toy remainders back to the store..........but haven't had to because they were tougher than I ever thought possible.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

thanks for the insight. i guess i am lucky she doesnt chew like that.

peety, that thing you put a treat inside, they love it!!!! i got the kong and i stuff it with canned dog food. they go nuts. winston has learned that if he drops it that it helps the food loosen up and come out better, but peisha just licks at it for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by kitca View Post

peety, that thing you put a treat inside, they love it!!!! i got the kong and i stuff it with canned dog food. they go nuts. winston has learned that if he drops it that it helps the food loosen up and come out better, but peisha just licks at it for hours.
    I have to buy one for my pup. Any thing to keep him busy.LOL

my golden is the same way. He MUST greet you with something, toy, shoe, piece of paper - whatever he can grab. He doens't chew, never has. Hes' 11 and he still has many of the same toys he had when he was a puppy, he has a laundry basket full of toys. His favourites are the ducks that quack... He must have 7 or 8 of them...
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

LOL tonight I went to my parents with my son who is 14 months today. My mom had bought him a ball, its an air filled plastic bouncy ball. Well him and Molly (golden) were playing and she got excited and she tried to pick up the ball, too big for her jaws to go around but not big enough for a tooth not to go in. The ball popped. My little guy cried and Molly well her tail went between her legs, head went down and she layed on the floor as if someone beat her. Not sure if she scared herself, or she thought she was in trouble for scaring Thomas or if she was in trouble for breaking the toy. Obviously she wasn't in trouble they were playing, and she never tries to destroy anything. Even as a puppy she never chewed things. So Thomas got over it and Molly she went to bed.
    MagicFingers

My basset hound wasn'ta dog who chewed toys but she did carry toys to the door to greet us and leave them for us. She would also snuggle them in her basket. I think it's just a behaviour some dogs have...greeting you with a gift
    When I was born I was so surprised I didnít talk for a year and a half.

Awww, poor Molly. are you going to get another ball for them.

Quote Originally Posted by kitca View Post

I picked up one today. Atomic treat ball He loves it,
    Last edited by Peety; 04-22-2011 at 09:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information