Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: See there are still good people left. :)

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    sault ste. marie
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    I was doing some Christmas shopping in the Station mall a few years ago and had $400 fall out of my pocket. By the time I noticed it was gone I had been through the mall a few times! I wasen't even going to check at security but I thought I might give it a shot. Sure enough a wonderful woman and her daughter had found it and returned it to security. The woman had left her name and number so I called her to thank her for Christmas gave her a remote starter and installed it for her. We try to always teach our kids that what goes around comes around and that lady taught her daughter that lesson as well!!!

  2. #22
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I have done things like this before and was happy doing them anonymously.
    Why does Sootoday have to out people like this?

    If I want to help someone out it's a personal decision and if I want it kept quiet isn't that my right?

    Stories like the follow-up would discourage me from doing so.
    Just some early morning musing on this idea...
    If you wanna discuss further, cool, if not, cool.
    In another discussion Blunt got me thinking about this, and it's true, as unpleasant as it is to think about (from my perspective anyways) People don't do true "selfless acts", every action we do serves to benefit ourselves as well, be it a mutual benefit, or to get good feelings of helping our fellow (wo)man. So, right, there may be a good reason these people do not want to be acknowledged for their good deeds, but is it only their porogrative? We also thank people for the same reason, to feel better about something, expressing our thanks makes us feel good, otherwise, I don't believe we would do it. A nameless "thank you" to someone who has helped you in some way fulfills both person's needs, yet a named thank you or public thank you may not. Is this a case of another person's needs are superseding another person's needs? Is it fair? seems like a paradox
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  3. #23
    Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Soo
    Posts
    17,081

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Your post lost all credibility when you said Blunt lol

  4. #24
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    I forgot that passive-aggressive insults where allowed here.... Apparently right out insulting someone is not allowed, but doing so in a round-about way is allowed....
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  5. #25

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    karma is like that. altho you can't see it nor can hear it. its always there. and i see it all the time at rome's and karma has rewarded me, because the nicer you to someone, they are always nice back

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,974

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    Just some early morning musing on this idea...
    If you wanna discuss further, cool, if not, cool.
    In another discussion Blunt got me thinking about this, and it's true, as unpleasant as it is to think about (from my perspective anyways) People don't do true "selfless acts", every action we do serves to benefit ourselves as well, be it a mutual benefit, or to get good feelings of helping our fellow (wo)man. So, right, there may be a good reason these people do not want to be acknowledged for their good deeds, but is it only their porogrative? We also thank people for the same reason, to feel better about something, expressing our thanks makes us feel good, otherwise, I don't believe we would do it. A nameless "thank you" to someone who has helped you in some way fulfills both person's needs, yet a named thank you or public thank you may not. Is this a case of another person's needs are superseding another person's needs? Is it fair? seems like a paradox
    What in gods name are you talking about? A person does an anonymous good deed and they are superceding someone else's need to say thank you? How selfish of them. If there is no such thing is selfless acts then there is no such thing as selfish acts. Hey I don't share my cookies because I think it would be wrong to use my cookies in a way that would make me feel better about myself. Now that is selfless of me.

  7. #27
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Official Cat of Soonet View Post
    What in gods name are you talking about? A person does an anonymous good deed and they are superceding someone else's need to say thank you? How selfish of them. If there is no such thing is selfless acts then there is no such thing as selfish acts. Hey I don't share my cookies because I think it would be wrong to use my cookies in a way that would make me feel better about myself. Now that is selfless of me.
    just my inner musings... if you wanna discuss fine, if not, fine
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,974

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    just my inner musings... if you wanna discuss fine, if not, fine
    Lol well your inner musings are so silly sometimes and of course I wanna discuss them. I think you are a good person but I would like to make you an even better person. I think you have a negative outlook on the world sometimes. You question good deeds by people and I think that hurts society. If people want to pay for groceries anonymously, I don't think we should question motive. It could prevent others from doing it in the future.

  9. #29
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    There is nothing negative about my outlook, I often get criticized for too often wearing rose colored glasses actually. Just because there is motive behind doing good deeds does not make them any less good.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,974

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    There is nothing negative about my outlook, I often get criticized for too often wearing rose colored glasses actually. Just because there is motive behind doing good deeds does not make them any less good.
    No No they are just commenting on your actual glasses. Your intentions may be good but I took it as you calling them selfish for not allowing the woman to say thank you, which would make her feel as good as the couple felt by doing such a good deed. If that's not what you were saying then I apologize for my negative outlook on your posts.

  11. #31
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    No, I don't think not wanting a "thank you" is selfish, but the wanting to thank them is, in a way. Selfish isn't necessarily a bad thing though, remember, it is for selfish reasons people do good things.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  12. #32
    Senior Member Andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    6,370

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    dancingqueen
    NO!
    I've actually risked my life helping people, that includes jumping in a moving car.
    Moments later, when I had time to think about it, I almost puked or **** my pants!
    I didn't think anything of it at the time.
    Now I think of it and I did the right thing. It is what someone should do.
    Unfortunately most don't and more people die.

  13. #33
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    dancingqueen
    NO!
    I've actually risked my life helping people, that includes jumping in a moving car.
    Moments later, when I had time to think about it, I almost puked or **** my pants!
    I didn't think anything of it at the time.
    Now I think of it and I did the right thing. It is what someone should do.
    Unfortunately most don't and more people die.
    Like I said, It was just my opinion, your experience does not prove, nor disprove my thoughts on the matter, nor do my own experiences.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  14. #34
    Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Soo
    Posts
    17,081

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    I forgot that passive-aggressive insults where allowed here.... Apparently right out insulting someone is not allowed, but doing so in a round-about way is allowed....
    I aim to please!!

  15. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,974

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by The 6th Member Of AC/DC View Post
    I aim to please!!
    ... I would love a popsicle

  16. #36
    Senior Member mistyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    That is a really nice thing to do for someone. I wish I could do the same for someone some day.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Karen-Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    sitting in a rocking chair in the good ole Soo
    Posts
    8,708

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by mistyblue View Post
    That is a really nice thing to do for someone. I wish I could do the same for someone some day.
    It doesn't have to be as grand a gesture as that to really make somebody's day. I don't know how many times a Soonet poster has put a thread on here about getting their Timmie's order payed for by the person in front of them....and how much it meant to them because they'd been having a bad day. You never know when a small gesture of kindness that you think is inconsequential is a big deal to the recipient.
    For the beauty of the earth,
    For the beauty of the skies...

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada
    Posts
    3,128

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Karen-Annie View Post
    It doesn't have to be as grand a gesture as that to really make somebody's day. I don't know how many times a Soonet poster has put a thread on here about getting their Timmie's order payed for by the person in front of them....and how much it meant to them because they'd been having a bad day. You never know when a small gesture of kindness that you think is inconsequential is a big deal to the recipient.
    I really needed to respond to this as it goes with a book I just bought my son called "Have you filled a bucket today?" basically we all have this imaginary bucket and when it is full we feel good and when it is empty we feel bad. It gets full when people do or say nice things for us, but we never fill our own buckets. But we can empty our own or others by doing not nice things to ourselves or others. It is really meaningful and it teaches kids that doing for others makes not only you but others happy and feel good. There is nothing wrong with this. Maybe more people need to go back and read a few childrens books to get the meaning of life. Saying thankyou isn't for yourself it is to show appreciation to others. My child will be taught to always say please and thank you.
    MagicFingers

  19. #39
    Senior Member Karen-Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    sitting in a rocking chair in the good ole Soo
    Posts
    8,708

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    Sounds like a great book for kids....I know a number of adults(I use the term loosely) who need to read it and learn the lessons it contains.
    For the beauty of the earth,
    For the beauty of the skies...

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,927

    Default Re: See there are still good people left. :)

    I'm all for good deeds and helping out when people really need it. Forking over a couple of bills for someone who was too irresponsible to bring money to the grocery store with them wouldn't happen though. It was a nice thing to do I guess but completely unnecessary.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts