Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to get Skunk smell off of dog and out of house

Default How to get Skunk smell off of dog and out of house

So I let Willow out yesterday around 1:30 am, the dummy dog decided to chase a skunk in the yard. Needless to say it got her, and she reeks. She was vomiting all over the place and now my house smells horrible too. What's the best solution to get rid of the smell off of Willow (she's around 53 lbs, and thick coat) and how do I get this smell out of my house. I have all the doors and window's open right now and the dog's outside relaxing under the car.

Default Re: How to get Skunk smell off of dog and out of house

oh no! i dont know. i do remember an old partridge family episode from waaay back and they bathed their dog in tomato juice. im not saying i recommend it or not, just brought back the memory of that episode.

make a mixture of dish soap, baking soda and peroxide and lather her down and keep repeating until the smell is gone. as for the house try washing the floors and stuff with vinegar. Trust me the bath works but may take 3 or 4 baths and it may lighten her colours because of the peroxide.
    • 1 quart (or liter) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2.
      Use fresh (unopened) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide eventually turns into water (H2O).
    • 1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
    • 1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of Liquid Soap
    • 1 pair of plastic or latex gloves
    • Combine the ingredients in an open container (do not store in a sealed bottle--it will explode).
    • Using gloves, wash your dog with lukewarm water and the mixture while the mixture is bubbling. Work the mixture well into the fur.
    • Be sure to concentrate on the area that was sprayed.
    • Keep mixture away from your dog's face and eyes (it's a harsh solution). (If your dog has been sprayed in the face, try Tricotine Liquid Douche Concentrate or any over-the-counter douche.)
    • Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes or so before rinsing off.
    • Rinse the dog with lukewarm tap water. Don't wash the mixture into your dog's eyes (use a washcloth to cover the eyes if you're rinsing the head).
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

I have a bottle of something called Skunkoff at camp. You can get it across the river. Its AMAZING!!! Spray on the dog, rub it in, your hands won't even smell of Skunk...

Seriously its $10 a bottle and I got it at Animal Kingdom.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

A friend of mine live in petawawa on the military base, and last night her hubby opened the door to let some air in and a skunk made its way in. Well the dummy she is, threw water at it, it sprayed all over her house and then ran out the door...lol Her house still reeks and she is trying to fond a way to get it out if her home. Her hubby keeps gagging, they have a 1 yr old. Man that must suck.. She is trying to figure out how to get rid of the smell in her home. I told her its going to be very hard.

If she can order this - it will help

http://www.tscpets.com/16764.html

Thank you all! I needed a good laugh!!
    We happened to go through the same event late Monday night after an extremely long, tiring day. I took Harley for a walk across the field to put bug spray on my horses and he spotted a "striped rabbit" and chased it. Imagine his surprise when it didn't run but turned and chased him back........at the exact moment I yelled STOP, it sprayed him.
    Poor bugger rolled and tried to rub it off, through the grass, horse manure, and it didn't help. Usually the rabbits outrun him and he never has been confronted by them before.

I ended up using baking soda and Sunlight dish soap mixed up like a soup. For a dog that hates water, he tolerated it and had to stay outside to dry himself off with the sheet I left for him. The solution worked in a pinch but he's still a bit funky smelling and we'll be trying the other method.

I guess it's just the season. So glad I'm not the only one putting up with it right now.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Quote Originally Posted by HDV View Post
    A friend of mine live in petawawa on the military base, and last night her hubby opened the door to let some air in and a skunk made its way in. Well the dummy she is, threw water at it, it sprayed all over her house and then ran out the door...lol Her house still reeks and she is trying to fond a way to get it out if her home. Her hubby keeps gagging, they have a 1 yr old. Man that must suck.. She is trying to figure out how to get rid of the smell in her home. I told her its going to be very hard.
    thats a bummer but pretty funny at the same time! :P
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. *Dr Seuss*

believe it or not I have used the tomato juice remedy and it did work. only thing was the dog was a white poodle who was pink for awhile. The next time it happened to one of our dogs I used Coke. Yes it worked great. Took the smell right out. You have to make sure you rinse really well as it is sticky but it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by HDV View Post
    Oh my gosh, that made me lol, but man, do I ever feel bad for her!! I sure hope she can get that stuff that MaO3 recommends and that it works!! Otherwise if it were me, I would be throwing out a LOT of stuff including my furniture!

I've never seen anything that works like that. It truly does work.

I had a two week old outhouse, a skunk fell down the whole, and of course sprayed. Everything in the outhouse reeked like skunk - to the point where you couldn't even enter. I bought two bottles of the spray and my husband sprayed the building down the hole inside and out of the building. To this day there is no smell.

It works so well on the dog that when you spay it on the the dog and rub it into their fur - your hands dont' even smell.

It is so worth the $10.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information