Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hard genetti recipe

Default Hard genetti recipe

Hey everyone!!....Looking for a good hard genetti receipe that anyone could provide? I know these are hard to find and have only found them at Toni's Cakery. Have checked online and still no recipes...My nonna used to make them but never wrote down the receipe....HELP!!...Thanks!!

Default Re: Hard genetti recipe

I have one I just have to dig it out.
    MagicFingers

Thanks MagicFingers, I will await your post....much appreciated!!

Ok so hereit is

1dozen eggs
    2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cup oil
    12tsp Baking Powder
    Aniset ........ I don't have a measurement as we always go by taste
    Approx 6 cups of flour....start with 4 cups and keep adding more little at a time until the dough is easy enough to roll

bake 350 degrees until golden on the bottom.
    MagicFingers

Thanks MagicFingers for the recipe, but I think you are referring to soft Genetti, twisted and baked? I was looking for "Hard Genetti" which is shaped like a large ring, it does have anise in it, I know at some point the dough ring is dipped in hot water, then baked and iced...it has a more crunchy, harder consistency to it...like I mentioned, they sell them at Toni's Cakery sometimes, just got some there at Easter. But I have never been able to find a recipe for it.....If anyone knows what Im speaking about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!.......and thanks again MagicFingers, I appreciate the response!

it isnt a dogbone or turdilli?

Sorry brad thought that is what you were looking for never heard of a hard ginetti and I know they aren't like cake. I also have a ginetti cake recipe so hence why I thought that is what you wanted. If you are looking for dogbones I can probably find that recipe as well.

Probably not what you were looking for but its the best I could do.
    Hard Ginnetti

2 1/4 pounds (1 k, 10 cups) flour
    10 eggs; with three of the whites set aside
    Half a glass (about a third of a cup) anise liqueur
    lemon juice
    4 tablespoons rendered lard (or unsalted butter)
    A pinch of salt
    3 1/2 cups (350 g) powdered sugar

make a mound of the flour on your work surface and scoop a well into the center.
    Put all the other ingredients except for the reserved whites, the lemon, and the powdered sugar into the well, and work everything together, adding just enough water to obtain a firm dough.
    Roll the dough into snakes, shape the snakes into rings, and nick the outer rims of the rings with a knife, then put them on a cookie sheet.
    Bake them in a hot oven (190 C, or 380 F) until golden.
    Remove them and let them cool. In the meantime, whip the reserved whites to stiff peaks, then beat in the powdered sugar and lemon juice to taste to make the frosting. Brush the ginetti with the frosting, let them cool, and they're done.
    MagicFingers

I have what you are looking for (we just called them breadsticks but they are dipped in water and there is no fat in them).....my grandmother made them also - time consuming but worth it...give me a day or so to find and post for you

my recipe is pretty close to the one above - good luck making them

Hey...Thanks everyone....that sounds more like what I am looking for, will give it a try and let you guys know...Thanks very much!!

I was once told by an Italian woman I know that anise is what makes genetti hard. So, adding anise to the cookie itself dries it out. Is this correct? I've always made them with anise only in the icing, not the cookie for this reason.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

I don't know lynys.... but I have always put it in the cookie and the icing, I also have a recipie for ginetti loaf its more like a cake and it is super moist and has anise in it so not sure about the anise making it dry.
    MagicFingers

Same here lynys....I remember my Aunt telling me that it is the amount of flour used that can dry it out. She told me to just use enough flour to form the dough and try not to handle the Genettis to much when forming. Harder said then done I know, but her Genetti's melt in your mouth and are never hard or dry. She too puts anise in the dough and icing!...I was going through my moms old recipes last night and found a cookbook from The Mount Carmel ladies association in 1963 that she was given for a shower gift.....never seen it before...it has some good old recipes in it as well as Hard Genetti's!!!....

pm sent to you bradjay

PM sent back ssmarie!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information