Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

  1. #1

    Default Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    Did everyone get their letter from the PUC yesterday in the mail??? Now I know where the money is coming from to build this new building.You will pay 10.7 cents in peak hours..summer 11am-5pm..winter 7am-11am and 5pm-7pm.. 8.9cents summer 7am-11am and 5pm-7pm...winter 11am-5am... and 5.9 cents the rest of the hours..So when you are up and living,pumping gas,stores open,watch tv, laundry,etc you are paying double..guess we have to all start living from 7pm-7am just to make ends meet..great job councils..screw the tax payers again and raise our taxes while your at it..

  2. #2
    Senior Member Craig Huckerby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    1,501

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    Quote Originally Posted by miller25 View Post
    Did everyone get their letter from the PUC yesterday in the mail??? Now I know where the money is coming from to build this new building.You will pay 10.7 cents in peak hours..summer 11am-5pm..winter 7am-11am and 5pm-7pm.. 8.9cents summer 7am-11am and 5pm-7pm...winter 11am-5am... and 5.9 cents the rest of the hours..So when you are up and living,pumping gas,stores open,watch tv, laundry,etc you are paying double..guess we have to all start living from 7pm-7am just to make ends meet..great job councils..screw the tax payers again and raise our taxes while your at it..
    That has nothing to do with council. The money you pay for the new building will come from a $6 surcharge on your bill for up to 26 years. What you describe comes from the Ontario Power Board.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    what is the reason for paying double on peak hours which is supper time or when people get home from work and turn on the lights,tv.etc...Day cares run durning the day and they double their power from 11am-5pm....ya sure does make sense

  4. #4
    Senior Member Tutones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    3rd Braincell to the right.
    Posts
    5,889

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    The whole point is to encourage people to use LESS power during this time (ie. don't do none essential things like vacumn or wash laundry until later in the day).

    Personally, I dont' see the sudden need to DOUBLE our power costs to do this - Wouldn't it make more sense to just offer a lower incentive for off peak and just 'marginally' increase peak hour consumption. Someone is making a whole lot of money off this deal! Residential sources have little influence over on peak usage - it's office buildings, factories and other daytime commercial/educational operations that create the 'peak' in demand during the day but unfortunately, we are the ones 'sucking it up'.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tutones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    3rd Braincell to the right.
    Posts
    5,889

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    Quote Originally Posted by miller25 View Post
    what is the reason for paying double on peak hours which is supper time or when people get home from work and turn on the lights,tv.etc...Day cares run durning the day and they double their power from 11am-5pm....ya sure does make sense

    Time to buy candles and a gas stove!
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
    Posts
    3,643

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    I called when I got the letter because we have electric heat. Its not like I can just turn my heat off during peak time in the middle of winter. So I called to ask if there was something in place for us in Northern Ontario who heat using electric heat. They said nope that so far when my heat kicks on during peak time I will be paying during that time. He then looked at my usage from last year and said based on what we used last year we are looking at paying about double for our heating. I can't wait to bend over this winter and take it up the @ss

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    S.S.M.
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    A bit off topic... but what really pisses me off is all the perpetual gloating and bragging that come from politicians about all the projects that 100's of millions of dollars are spent on...as if they were doing us a favor, good job spending our tax dollars...NOT. Far from happy about all the spending personally...but hey, their creating jobs right (and more tax payers) Sounds as if their making sure their taking care of themselves first if you ask me! @$#% Higher cost of living goes along well with the heavy tax burden...guess is my point.
    Last edited by Reckidecky; 09-23-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling error

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    My own little reality
    Posts
    3,015

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    I have to wonder if this is not only to reduce peak usage, but to help pay for their contacts with the Green suppliers. Aren't they paying out about 80 cents a kwh to the solar producers? How is that paid for when we pay 5 or 6 cents a kwh? Don't know what the US pays when they buy from us, but I bet it's not 80 cents.

  9. #9
    Senior Member KDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,227

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    Quote Originally Posted by Tutones View Post
    The whole point is to encourage people to use LESS power during this time (ie. don't do none essential things like vacumn or wash laundry until later in the day).

    Personally, I dont' see the sudden need to DOUBLE our power costs to do this - Wouldn't it make more sense to just offer a lower incentive for off peak and just 'marginally' increase peak hour consumption. Someone is making a whole lot of money off this deal! Residential sources have little influence over on peak usage - it's office buildings, factories and other daytime commercial/educational operations that create the 'peak' in demand during the day but unfortunately, we are the ones 'sucking it up'.
    The whole point is for the PUC to increase their revenues. This whole "being green and using less electricity" argument is a farce...they didn't have tyhe balls to just raise our rates.

    And the TOU billing it's conveniently not in effect until AFTER the election.
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

  10. #10
    Senior Member steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    It is your liberal government!!!!!!!all the cash orazzetti(sp) is throwing around didnt just pop out of the air.The provincial government making deals like the one with toshiba i think that pays toshiba 83 cents a kilowatt hour,why do we think all these stupid mirror farms have turned up?..forget green power we need more nuclear power.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada
    Posts
    3,128

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    Quote Originally Posted by Reckidecky View Post
    A bit off topic... but what really pisses me off is all the perpetual gloating and bragging that come from politicians about all the projects that 100's of millions of dollars are spent on...as if they were doing us a favor, good job spending our tax dollars...NOT. Far from happy about all the spending personally...but hey, their creating jobs right (and more tax payers) Sounds as if their making sure their taking care of themselves first if you ask me! @$#% Higher cost of living goes along well with the heavy tax burden...guess is my point.
    To go even more off topic. not sure if anyone else has experienced this...however they have added yet another tax that wasn't there in 2007...since 2007 you now pay HST on funeral services. ALL funeral services are taxable. That was never the case before. Like food it was a necessity not like you had a choice to die or not and you don't have a choice regardless if you have a viewing or not there are expenses when you die. ALL of them are taxed now. We were shocked when we paid for my Grandmothers funeral and saw the tx amount. It is down right shamefulthat our government is taking even more from everyone (mostly elderly) at time of death.
    MagicFingers

  12. #12
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,593

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    It is your liberal government!!!!!!!all the cash orazzetti(sp) is throwing around didnt just pop out of the air.The provincial government making deals like the one with toshiba i think that pays toshiba 83 cents a kilowatt hour,why do we think all these stupid mirror farms have turned up?..forget green power we need more nuclear power.
    Which government was it that sold off OUR publicly owned electric supply again?
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    S.S.M.
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post
    To go even more off topic. not sure if anyone else has experienced this...however they have added yet another tax that wasn't there in 2007...since 2007 you now pay HST on funeral services. ALL funeral services are taxable. That was never the case before. Like food it was a necessity not like you had a choice to die or not and you don't have a choice regardless if you have a viewing or not there are expenses when you die. ALL of them are taxed now. We were shocked when we paid for my Grandmothers funeral and saw the tx amount. It is down right shamefulthat our government is taking even more from everyone (mostly elderly) at time of death.
    Disgraceful!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    I am thinking that this is where Direct Energy may come in to play depending in their prices....because with them it doesnt matter what time...apparently their price stays the same regardless of the time of day....something to look into maybe....i know i am going to

  15. #15
    Senior Member Tutones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    3rd Braincell to the right.
    Posts
    5,889

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    Direct Energy's current contract rate is 6.99 cents per kilowatt hour PLUS an additional charge of 2.82 cents per kilowatt hour (global adjustment fee). Works out to 9.81 cents per kilowatt hour total.

    Personally, I think I'll take my chances with the PUC rates.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

  16. #16
    Senior Member icemantbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    If you have electric heat, you are better off going to gas, because thet hike is.going to be a killer tbis winter.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    978

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    when you're a renter you really don't have much choice. Electricity is going to be going up even more than this in the up-coming years

  18. #18
    Administrator Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    1,055

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    You also have to remember too that the PUC charges for you to be with a reseller, so add another $50 to your monthly bill so the 9 cents just went up... The one thing I don't like is they are fitting everyone into a 9-5 work day... what about those who work nights, now they get milked for working outside of a standard day.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Peety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,535

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    Quote Originally Posted by NTP View Post
    Time of use is a good idea, but the rates could be more reasonable..

    I'll bet solar panel and windmill sales will be on the rise now.
    It would take you 7-10 years to pay of solar panels.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Peety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,535

    Default Re: Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

    Quote Originally Posted by NTP View Post
    Don't try and do math before you're fully awake!
    Be nice now. I have a friend who explained it to me.It will take them that long to pay back the loan.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts