Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: b-12 shots

Hybrid View

Default b-12 shots

someone told me that they buy their own b-12 vials at the pharmacy and the needles also and do their own shots. but i forget who (not on here, someone i know somehow) anyway, has anyone heard of this? i have enough nurse friends who could puncture me with the needle, i know i couldnt do that myself, but i would be interested in taking the shots.

Default Re: b-12 shots

I used to get the shots. I would go once everyt two weeks to the doctors office. My doctor there was awesome. I would show up whenever convenient for me just sit outside one of the exam rooms andbetween patients she would inject me and I would go that is how she did any of her vitamin patients. I would be there all of about 5 minutes. That isn't how it works here, so i hav been told. So i just take the sublingual b12'si don't find tham as good but better than nothing.
    MagicFingers

thanks magic. i bought them at shoppers and my hubby gave me the shot. i have been taking the sublingual liquid also, but i think it just doesnt absorb into my system. ive been researching it on the net. when i had my iron shots that is how i got them done at group health. just drop in and they use a float nurse to inject you.

Kitca, do you need a prescription for the B12 shots?

no, you can just buy the vial and the needles. do a few google searches to rest your mind if you are thinking of trying it. that is what i did. i dont have the links, but you should be able to figure it out, i think i typed in something like 'doing your own b12 injections'

I get my b12 shots at my drs... Never heard of doing it urself

Ok, thanks kitca! I wondered about that. I just don't know whether I could jab myself lol.

i couldnt jab myself. my hubby did it said it was no problem. i copied out a bunch of the material and gave it to my parents. now they both want a shot too!

I'm curious as to the cost of buying them through the pharmacy? Do you need a prescription?
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

no, dont need a script. the bottle to do 10 shots was $12. and the needles are .55 each. that was at shoppers. at walmart you had to buy a pack of 100 needles.

I can save you all the effort of buying it yourself and injecting yourself. The bottom line is.....................unless you have a proven B12 deficiency, you are quite literally pi$$ing away your money. Vitamin B12 is a water soluble vitamin. Whatever your body doesn't need, you pee out. There are a few people who require B12 injections (diabetics who take Metformin, those diagnosed with pernicious anemia, etc.). However, it would be worth your while to have a serum B12 level done (bloodtest) before you start injecting yourself with vitamins that you don't need. Vitamin B12 injections have not been proven to be useful in anyone who has normal B12 levels, and, if you DON'T have normal B12 levels, then you should be seeing a doctor or nurse practitioner for testing and an appropriate prescription for monthly B12 injections. Also, how do you know that you (or your husband) are injecting the medication into the muscle??? and I would also be curious about ................how you are disposing of the needles?? Anyway, as a Nurse Practitioner, this thread concerns me. One should not be self medicating without the proper testing and information.

puppy lover, i didnt know you were a nurse practitioner. i was taking the sub lingual liquid vit. b and then heard about the shots. i have had stomach surgery and from all the reading i have done i dont have the right ? whatevers? in my system to use vet b orally. it also said that you cant overdo vit. b, so if i loose my money, i loose it, but it is worth trying for me. to dispose of the needles we put them back in the containers they come in and there are no 'sharps'. ive had enough needles in my butt to trust my hubby. ive had the iron injections 2 seperate times now. the articles i read also said that after 50 your body doesnt make the proper ?whatevers? to properly utilize b12. i dont want to go running to the doctor over something that seemed self done.

I do have a proven B12 deficiency. I was told to take B12 supplements orally by my doctor but they never did a thing. Can't believe the difference in my energy level with the shots. Even my peripheral neuropathy has gone away (which I always assumed was permanent due to previous chemo treatments). It's so nice to feel my hands and feet again!
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

Tutones, your situation is entirely different. As I said, people with a diagnosed B12 deficiency will DEFINITELY benefit from the injections, and yest it does improve peripheral neuropathy that is related to a B12 deficiency. I just have an issue with people posting inaccurate health information and not having the benefit of a medical assessment/blood tests to diagnose an actual problem. Glad that it has made you feel so much better. All of my patients who take B12 injections tell me that it makes them feel better, but NONE of them have lost weight as a result of taking B12 injections.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy Lover View Post
    Tutones, your situation is entirely different. As I said, people with a diagnosed B12 deficiency will DEFINITELY benefit from the injections, and yest it does improve peripheral neuropathy that is related to a B12 deficiency. I just have an issue with people posting inaccurate health information and not having the benefit of a medical assessment/blood tests to diagnose an actual problem. Glad that it has made you feel so much better. All of my patients who take B12 injections tell me that it makes them feel better, but NONE of them have lost weight as a result of taking B12 injections.
    are you saying that i have posted something inaccurate? what is inaccurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy Lover View Post
    Did I miss a post? I thought I read the entire thread. I don't recall anyone saying they take b12 to lose weight or that they lost weight because of b12 injections. Where did that come from? I have not been doing the injections since i moved to the sault as I do not want to do the injections myself and I don't have a doctor or a nurse to do it for me and since I have stopped the injections I feel like crap the and the sublingual just don't do anything for me. I can take double the dosage and I still feel no different. Oh an anyone can go and get a sharps container and have it disposed of. SO not sure why you are so hung up on that either.
    MagicFingers

...and just for the record, I have also lost 35 pounds since starting the B12 injections.
    Haim Ginott

Quote Originally Posted by Tutones View Post
    ...and just for the record, I have also lost 35 pounds since starting the B12 injections.
    However you have not lost the 35 pounds solely due to the b12 injections. You have made some changes in your life. But the b12 does help, specially if you are low on the vitamin it can make you feel more nenergized making you naturally more active.
    MagicFingers

i think the weight issue was brought up because there is a natural type physician who gives weekly shots as a way to loose weight. but you are right, it was never mentioned in this thread. thats not why i am doing it, though i would like some more energy, and i would love to loose 25 lbs!

Yes I know the doctor you are speaking of....if it is the same one....And it wasn't TO lose weight, the diet he has people on significantly cuts back their food intake and I believe on that diet any adult does not get enough vitamins do to the set up of the diet hence the vitamin b12 as well because it CAN give you more energy the hope is that it will make you move more.

Anyways I just wish the other person hadn't turned it into a weighloss issue as no one here had even mentioned it until they did.
    MagicFingers

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information