Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cat Pooping on Floor..

Exclamation Cat Pooping on Floor..

Before we moved to our new house we did not have this problem with our cat. We have had him for almost a year now and he just started roughly a month ago. He only goes in the basement where the litter box is located. We clean it every day so its not lack of cleaning it. He goes in all different places too its not just the same spot. We are going to get two new litter boxes so each cat has their own because maybe that is the problem. If he doesn't stop in the next month we will be getting rid of him it kills us because we got him from TAAG and he was very abused it seemed as he was terrified of people and WE just got him cuddly and awesome again and I would hate to see him go but I can't have him crapping everywhere either, its just gross and if my landlord finds out we're in deep trouble and for good reason. We manage to clean it very quickly and the floor is concrete so the smell is not lingering thankfully. Any tips on how to stop this before its too late?
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

Default Re: Cat Pooping on Floor..

could be many things. uti, new environment, a lot of changes or hectic things going on, change of litter types.
    do you know if there were other animals living in the place before you moved in? there could be other scents that you can't smell but he can.
    neutering stops the need for euthanizing

Try putting catnip into the litterbox to attract him to it.
    Maybe consult your vet as there may be an underlying issue that may be causing it.
    Extra litterboxes are an exellent idea.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

There was a dog here previous to us, and it could be the move to the new house but we moved in October 1st, and he started shortly after. I will try the catnip once we get his new boxes. Any ideas on how to get rid of old animals smells or how to make him unattracted to those areas that he is using?
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

you have to find an enzyme blocker i would guess the pet stores have it. Its a type of cleaner that will break down any lingering smells. I would take him to the vet, if he started it just after you moved in, it could be from stress, there is medication for it. My girl was on clomacalm (sp?) and it was awesome she stopped peeing and pooping everywhere and calmed right down. Once she was adjusted we weened her off and never had any issues again.
    MagicFingers

For concrete, I would even use a bit of bleach and hot water. It would kill mold at the same time. That my help eliminate something the cat is smelling from the dog who previously lived there. You can also try vinegar and hot water on the concrete floor.

Everyone is very spot on with their theories. Change stresses cats out when they haven't been accustomed to it. One more reason that hasn't been suggested is declawing. I'm unsure if this is something you believe in or have done-but it creates a huge sensitivity to the paws and sand can hurt them so some will no longer bother with it. Smell is pretty important too.
    If they change homes some cats will mark their territory and then repeat this if they continue to smell the feces. Even if it is cleaned it can still be smelled to their sensitive noses. Usually people have to go all out and bleach the floor. Litter may be a goid Idea you have...Cats do not like going to the washroom in a dirty litter box. I've found having more than one at I have to clean it at least every two days -3 max... Not because it is soooo terrible..just because I know they smell more than we do. PS: I tried a lot of litters ...I recommend Multi cat multi Chat: I never smell anything when they use that. (and I've tried brands where it smells awful).

goodluck...give your cat time for sure..change is hard for kids

oh and a vet appointment may be good too..just in case..as someone posted a UI..or if it's goopy...could be worms, flee bites etc.
    Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself.”-Kahlil Gibran

In the past my eureka moment occurred when I came upon a midden, however middening is sometimes a cat related issue you may want to look up and it is not so much a eureka moment.

Thanks everyone, we bought the litter boxes today and I will be bleaching the floors tonight probably.

Hobo....say what???? lol

Midden - http://www.heritage.nf.ca/avalon/tou...n1_midden.html

Middening - can't seem to find a decent picture for cat middening - http://www.squidoo.com/RetrainingKitty - not the sort of thing one would yell out - hey look what I found!

Ohhhhhh! lol I thought you were trying to say maddening or something you totally lost me! I am still not 100% sure what that means...what I got out of it is..they don't stop and you need to treat them like kittens forever? LOL sorry, I dont know why I'm being such a dummy about this....

This might help you understand what middening is and although I am familiar with archeological detritis I know little about fecal detritis - amazing how cat poop and archeology "can" use similar terminolgy. Well sort of. Hope you get your problem solved.

http://www.thecatbehaviorclinic.com/...middening.html

Middening is a form of marking territory it would seem ...http://www.thecatbehaviorclinic.com/...middening.html
    Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself.”-Kahlil Gibran

haha posted the same link at around the same time

oh lovely, I sure hope that isnt what he is doing. I dont have money for a cat therapist lol

If you are using a covered litterbox, uncover it, as most cats do not like covered litterboxes. There is also a product they sell at pet valu, mind you I have never used it, but people swear by it, called Cat attract and it is suppose to do well. Keep us posted.
    “The more people I meet, the more I like my cats.”

Ya we had a covered box because we had one of those roll away ones, but we switched and starting putting cat nip, so far so good

oh i hope it works out.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information