Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RnY GB surgery!

Default RnY GB surgery!

Had it done and was wondering if there is any type of meeting or support group here in the Sault?

Also looking for any info on sites any of you who have had this may be using for recipes etc.
    When I make up a lie and can not back out of it, I will just say I am leaving town for a funeral and that should cover up the lie.
    Self-laudation abounds among the unpolished; but nothing can stamp a person more sharply as ill-bred.

If you can't feed them, don't breed them!

Default Re: RnY GB surgery!

There was a support group for RnY people, not sure if it was still going on. Many people in the Sault (myself included) have had the MGB surgery in the states by Dr. Rutledge. We meet once in a while, you're welcome to join, ... pretty similar surgeries.

What are you looking for in the way of recipes? What stage are you at and what have you been able to eat? These are all important questions to know when offering food ideas.

My Sister-in-law has had the MBG while my niece has had the RnY, .... so I know a bit about both.

Hey Handyman,

I had it done Dec 5 in Toronto and am down 55lbs already. I am now on regular foods trying only 1 new item at a time and nothing mixed in order to rule out things that do not agree with me. I have found that I can no longer tolerate chicken, pork and potatoes so far. Seems the most tolerable thing for me is soups and very moist foods.

I have checked out a few of the websites with ideas but would rather actually sit and talk to others locally who have had it done as it is not easy to go at this alone or with people who have not had it done.

When and where does your group meet?
    When I make up a lie and can not back out of it, I will just say I am leaving town for a funeral and that should cover up the lie.
    Self-laudation abounds among the unpolished; but nothing can stamp a person more sharply as ill-bred.

Yes, you will find meats a hard thing to take on right away. Processed meats like salami and hams are really hard to get back, but they will come back. Mashed potatoes will be your best bet there, although starches are hard to break down so that's the kicker, ... this put pasta in this category as well. Forget anything that is fried for now, fats are also hard to process. I still have to avoid fried foods, even after 4 years.

One of the reasons you lose weight is that you eat healthier and better, .... who would have ever thought that, ....lol. You are going about it the right way trying food individually to rule certain ones out. Don't give up on chicken and pork, ... it will come back.

Go to www.clos.net , ..... this is the website for the type of surgery I had performed in the USA. It has a lot of great information on foods to eat and what to expect along the way. In Canada, they just kind of perform the surgery and toss you out to fend for yourself. Dr. Rutledge (who perfected my surgery) was very thorough in providing info to his patients , .... of course, in the USA they are in it for the money and don't want law suits so they have to be this way.

We have had meeting only occasionally and even less now that OHIP does not cover the cost of my surgery in the USA. The MGB people still have an annual picnic in Bay City Michigan for MGB patients, and their representative even came to Soo Ontario once to pitch their service, but this is less now that OHIP has bailed on it. We had a gastric bypass bar-b-cue a couple of summers back, .... maybe another one is in store. I will PM you names of people here on Soonet who have had the surgery so you can PM them and maybe get some feedback.

Good luck. I know we have bashed heads before, but in the big picture helping someone out isn't the end of the world, .... PM me any questions you might have and I will help if I can.

I had RNY almost 6 years ago in rochester ny by the top notch surgeon. Many things are different so I have been told. I was on a strict food diet after the surgery. A lot of people that I know who have had it here in Canada or even in Traverse city did not have to go through what I did. It worked for me and I feel so much better, lost almost 200 pounds I have gained 50 back but that is with two failed pregnancies, one successful pregnancy and now pregnant again. With all those stressors I was not able to keep up with my daily regiment I had while I was losing the weight IE going to the gym and working out as much. Also a few poor food choices. I will be getting those extra pounds off again once I have this baby.

As far as support group I knew there was one here as my friend was going to one but she didn't find it at all helpful. Good luck it really did change my life.
    MagicFingers

Since surgery Dec 5 I am now down 84lbs! Went for a scope last week as I can not swallow any meat at all and all is fine, no strictures and no ulcers. Doc told me I am probably going to end up a vegetarian which is cool with me! Looking forward now to hitting the Carribean beaches for a couple weeks in a few days with my new beach body

Meats, like anything else, comes and goes. You will adapt and eat meat regularly, .... it will just take time, .... you're still a newbee, ....lol

I couldn't eat meat any meat for the first 6 months. but then that was the rule not that I physically couldn't. It was a strict diet I was on no pasta, bread or rice, or red meat for 6 months. no fruit of any kind for the first three months, clear liquids for the first week and the following 2 months was a puree diet. Could drink anything carbonated for 3 years that caused me pain and now. My bread pasta rice is very limited it makes me full tooo fast, i am fine with meats, but dairy makes me dump be it milk or ice cream it doesn't matter. Although DQ ice cream will make me dump with one taste of it. Orange juice makes me dump even the 50% less sugar, and greasy foods. Alcohol makes me wish I was dead, the dumping is so bad.
    MagicFingers

congratulations evil!!!!!! im glad there are no problems and you are feeling great. im also very envious of those caribean beaches.

How does one start this process?

Congratulations on all your success stories!!
    "If bein lost means never knowing how it feels without you, I wanna stay lost forever" - Faith Hill

I am not sure of the process now but I do know you need a family doctor or a doctor that is going to agree to follow you here in town. Then I would say talk to your doctor and I would imagine you need a referal to a surgeon or bariatric clinic. You can also try to google ontario bariatric clinics and then contact them and ask them for the process. They will probably be very helpful and guide you through it. The steps have changed since I had my procedure and I also had it done in the states so it was very very different.
    MagicFingers

MagicFingers

Thank you for the website, I was googling & reading a lot. I will definitely take the time to research!
    "If bein lost means never knowing how it feels without you, I wanna stay lost forever" - Faith Hill

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information