Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grade 7/8 dances

Default Grade 7/8 dances

Last night there was a grade 7/8 dance at St. Basil's. It seems there are always problems at these dances. My son ended up coming home and hour early with his friend and told me that the cops were there again. There was kids there drunk and high and fights going on there. The same thing happened the last time as well. This will be the last dance my son attends that's for sure. What is going on in this city?? 12 and 13 year olds drunk and high???? Where are the parents? If I'm not mistaken there are no longer high school dances or "Y" dances for this reason. These schools are putting on these dances as fund raisers but I often wonder if there is any other constructive way to fund raise than this?
    Putting over 200 young kids together in a gym with very few chaparones is a recipe for disaster!
    "Now you're just somebody I used to know"

Default Re: Grade 7/8 dances

I can't speak for what may have happened at the dance at St. Basil's last night but the police are required to be at EVERY school dance. The board will not allow them to run unless police officers are present. They are off duty, uniformed officers paid to work as security to keep problems from happening. They are not necessarily a sign that something out of the ordinary is happening. This practice has been in place for more than 25 years.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

There were kids being dragged out by the police both times. I was talking to a few parents this morning.
    Police are not there. My son's school put on the dance back in Dec. I was at that dance and the police were not present nor security gaurds. The police were called on 2 kids that were trying to steal property out of the coat check. The police are not there unless called. These dances are only chaparoned by the parents/teachers and/or organizing committee.

These dances should not exist. These kids, in my opinion are far too young. Grade 7? That's 12 years of age! Just asking for trouble.

Exactly

I was talking to my husband last night about how when we were kids we could go out after breakfast, play all day, come in to eat, come home when the street lights came on. We had no worries.We would eat at friends, friends would eat at our house. You wanted your kids to come home you would stand out front and yell their name..lol.
    We Cant do that no with our kids now a days. Its sad really. I wish my daughter could have the same freedom we had when we were kids, now its to damn dangerous. The worst things we did when we were kids was smoke a cigarette lol now kids at 11 and 12 are smoking dope or selling it , fighting, beating people up, robbing old people or stealing.
    I dont want to be a bubble wrap parent, but damn I dont want to let my daughter out of my sight till shes 20..lol

Someone is a smartass. Yeah it happened the first time which could have been a fluke thing. The second time he had enough sense (with my proper teachings) to come home when there was trouble happening. There won't be a third time. Don't dare insult my parenting or make this about women. Most of the political world consists of men..It's no wonder the world is going to h e l l. and......bite me.

Banned

"Last night there was a grade 7/8 dance at St. Basil's. It seems there are always problems at these dances"

"12 and 13 year olds drunk and high???? Where are the parents? If I'm not mistaken there are no longer high school dances or "Y" dances for this reason."

"There were kids being dragged out by the police both times."

" My son's school put on the dance back in Dec. I was at that dance and the police were not present nor security gaurds."

Son: Mom can I go to the 7/8 dance tonight
    Simba: Sure son, I don't see why not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SIMBA View Post
    Someone is a smartass. Yeah it happened the first time which could have been a fluke thing. The second time he had enough sense (with my proper teachings) .
    So now you no longer trust those proper teachings? Son you made proper decisions before, but those may have been a fluke.

Obviously yes...he came home didn't he?

Banned

Obviously yes...he came home didn't he?
    He was one of the lucky ones I'm sure.

Banned

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
    ―Albert Einstein

lol I think your lost somewhere.

Banned

lol I think your lost somewhere.

These dances "always" have these things happen,so you send your son to one. Then you come here shocked when it happens again, and I'm the lost one?

Yes you are and you cannot read.

Banned

So it should be easy for you to point out where I didn't read something right

"Yeah it happened the first time which could have been a fluke thing."

Had I known it was an ongoing problem in the first place, he wouldn't have went period.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Official Cat of Soonet View Post
    "Last night there was a grade 7/8 dance at St. Basil's. It seems there are always problems at these dances"

"12 and 13 year olds drunk and high???? Where are the parents? If I'm not mistaken there are no longer high school dances or "Y" dances for this reason."

"There were kids being dragged out by the police both times."

" My son's school put on the dance back in Dec. I was at that dance and the police were not present nor security gaurds."

Son: Mom can I go to the 7/8 dance tonight
    Simba: Sure son, I don't see why not.
    See those bold quotes... those are from you. Clearly you knew this isn't a one time thing. So do I have trouble reading?

Yes I know exactly what I said and what I meant. You don't. You like to argue and analyze everything, nothing new.

lol, I remember getting drunk at a grade 7 dance. Wasn't that big of a deal really. It must be tough being a kid these days.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information